2) I would like to contribute to the development of lucene. Where do I
start?

Thank, Oren Hollander.

Re: Contribution [ In reply to ]
Hi Oren,

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/contributions.html

This link might be helpful to you.

I think the best way is to contact the persons listed on the above page.
They will help u.

Amit

Re: Contribution [ In reply to ]
Oren,

the person listed means the person responsible for those contributions...
like :

ogren@mayo.edu
carlson@bookandhammer.com
eliot@isogen.com

They should guide u as they have done the same thing before.

Thoughts!

Amit

Re: Contribution [ In reply to ]
Oren,

Here's what you can do:

1. if you can host your contribution on some server somewhere, please
put it there, and send the URL to the list(s).
One of the developers (Peter) can then update the contributions page
and add the link to your code.

2. if 1. is not possible, please archive and compress your contribution
and send it to the lucene-user list as an attachment.

If your contribution is something that looks like it can be integrated
in Lucene distribution and something that you or others would like to
work on more, we can also think about placing the contribution into
Lucene-Sandbox (c.f.
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/lucenesandbox.html)

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Contribution [ In reply to ]
Actually, Oren, please don't mail those people, they don't need to
worry about other people's contributions to Lucene. Just read my other
email, please.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Contribution [ In reply to ]
Hi Oren,

I am responsible for the contributions page.

Please submit your contributions to the developers list (just so they
get in the mail archive and won't be dependent on you keeping a URL
live) and I will post them on the contributions page. If people like
them and an industrious contributor wants to, they may get added into
the Lucene core code.

As far as being a contributor, what project do you have in mind? It's
best to come to the up with a project that will move the Lucene
development forward. My contributions have mostly been site
contributions (the contributions page) and site maintenance such as
builds. I have also added to some code by adding the SearchBean to the
Lucene-Sandbox.

I hope this answers your questions and thanks for your contributions.

--Peter

Re: Contribution [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter.
OK, I'll submit the RDBMS indexer next week to the dev-list.

About the contribution part, I don't think I have a new sub-project to
contribute - I thought more of contributing as a developer at hand. If the
lucene team needs help with development I would like to help.

I am working with lucene mainly for analysis purpose - I don't use it as a
search engine in the traditional way. In this field, information about the
index is valuable. For instance, one thing I am interested in is the
capability to know how many hits a (simple) query has in each returned
document, in which field did lucene found the term queried for, etc.

I've also developed a simple analyzer that uses the porter stemmer and
decides which term represents each stem - according to various heuristics.