Mailing List Archive

Good Software/Documentation was Re: I need your advice
Brian,

Is there any reason to believe that something along the lines of literate
programming will play a role in bridging the gap between good software, bad
documentation?

Jack

Re: Good Software/Documentation was Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
> Is there any reason to believe that something along the lines of
> literate programming will play a role in bridging the gap between
> good software, bad documentation?

I have reason to believe the opposite, sadly.

Java made an attempt to pick up on some of the principles of LP when
integrating JavaDoc into the source code. Unfortunately, the JavaDoc
has replaced, rather than supplemented, external documentation, and
most JavaDoc ranges from bad to worthless. And JavaDoc is really only
for reference; its a _terrible_ way to actually learn an API, although
that's how we all do it.

I think the answer is cultural; ostracize and fire programmers that
don't write documentation up to the level of their code. (OK, this is
overstated by several notches, but you get the point.) When
programmers become embarrassed if they write bad (or no)
documentation, they'll write better documentation.

Re: Good Software/Documentation was Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
Brian Goetz wrote:

>>Is there any reason to believe that something along the lines of
>>literate programming will play a role in bridging the gap between
>>good software, bad documentation?
>>

>I have reason to believe the opposite, sadly.
>
>Java made an attempt to pick up on some of the principles of LP when
>integrating JavaDoc into the source code. Unfortunately, the JavaDoc
>has replaced, rather than supplemented, external documentation, and
>most JavaDoc ranges from bad to worthless. And JavaDoc is really only
>for reference; its a _terrible_ way to actually learn an API, although
>that's how we all do it.
>
>I think the answer is cultural; ostracize and fire programmers that
>don't write documentation up to the level of their code. (OK, this is
>overstated by several notches, but you get the point.) When
>programmers become embarrassed if they write bad (or no)
>documentation, they'll write better documentation.

well said. I look forward to your article.

Re: Good Software/Documentation was Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
> well said. I look forward to your article.

<shameless-self-promotion>

It will appear in the IBM Java Zone (www.ibm.com/java), in my "Java
Theory and Practice" column, in early September.

This month's column is on an obscure thread-safety issue, and next
month's is a very simple nuts and bolts of how and why to build a
thread pool. The next article? No ideas yet. If you've got any,
send 'em.

<plea-for-validation>
I get rated by the feedback I get from readers, so if you like
the articles, please fill out the little form at the bottom.
</plea-for-validation>

</shameless-self-promotion>

Re: Good Software/Documentation was Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
> <plea-for-validation>
> I get rated by the feedback I get from readers, so if you like
> the articles, please fill out the little form at the bottom.
> </plea-for-validation>

That's the kind of feedback we'd need for all our docs :-)

--Clemens