servers...

Thank's for sharing any information,

Martin Sévigny

Re: Remote searcher [ In reply to ]
hi,
i think we need an RMI implementation of the Searcher , first. After we need a RMI implementation of a MultiSearcher that is able to collect the hits from each remote searcher we want. I don't know if there will be any problems with the "score" and how to solve that.
ciao

Re: Remote searcher [ In reply to ]
none none wrote:
> i think we need an RMI implementation of the Searcher , first. After we need a RMI implementation of a MultiSearcher that is able to collect the hits from each remote searcher we want. I don't know if there will be any problems with the "score" and how to solve that.

This should be simple. Mostly we just need is an RMI implementation of
Searchable. The remote implementation can use IndexSearcher or
MultiSearcher. Also Filter (and perhaps HitCollector, but see below)
must be made to implement java.io.Serializable. I think that's all.

To do remote searching, a local MultiSearcher can then be constructed
with pointers to remote Searchable instances.

Note that the HitCollector API will not work well remotely, since
callbacks per hit would be very expensive. Thus the remote
implementation of search(Query,Filter,HitCollector) could just throw an
exception, and it could be documented that remote searching only works
when using the Searcher.search(Query) and Searcher.search(Query,Filter).
Or we could just make it work, albeit *very* slowly.

Doug

Re: Remote searcher [ In reply to ]
I just added a remote searchable implementation.

See src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/TestRemoteSearchable.java for an
example of how this can be used. This is the first RMI code I've
written, so please tell me if I've got something wrong.

Doug

RE : Remote searcher [ In reply to ]
> De : Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@lucene.com]
> I just added a remote searchable implementation.
>
> See
> src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/TestRemoteSearchable.java for an
> example of how this can be used. This is the first RMI code I've
> written, so please tell me if I've got something wrong.

Well thank's! We'll definitely test it soon and give feedback or suggest
changes if needed.

Martin Sévigny