Mailing List Archive

Where are we with lucene search application design?
Who is working on the design of the search application extension to lucene?

Where are we in the design of the architecture?

What are the next steps?

Mark Tucker

Re: Where are we with lucene search application design? [ In reply to ]
Sorry, I've been stalled lately with a backlog of work. I sent an email
asking if anyone here objected to the creation of a scratchpad area and
build target but even I did not get my own message.

So If no one objects I'd like to create the scratchpad, create a target for
it and begin refactoring the sources that were donated.

Re: Where are we with lucene search application design? [ In reply to ]
Hi !

> Sorry, I've been stalled lately with a backlog of work. I sent an email
> asking if anyone here objected to the creation of a scratchpad area and
> build target but even I did not get my own message.
> So If no one objects I'd like to create the scratchpad, create a target
for
> it and begin refactoring the sources that were donated.

Could you elaborate on the purpose and content of this scratchpad ? It is
not really clear for me.

Another question, regarding the status of the lucene devs: the current cvs
tag is RC4, does it mean that it has been feature-frozen until final release
? What are the next steps ?

Rodrigo

Re: Re: Where are we with lucene search application design? [ In reply to ]
>On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:32:26 0100 "Rodrigo Reyes" <reyes@charabia.net>
wrote.
>Hi !
>
>> Sorry, I've been stalled lately with a backlog of work. I sent an email
>> asking if anyone here objected to the creation of a scratchpad area and
>> build target but even I did not get my own message.
>> So If no one objects I'd like to create the scratchpad, create a target
>for
>> it and begin refactoring the sources that were donated.
>
>Could you elaborate on the purpose and content of this scratchpad ? It is
>not really clear for me.

Scratchpad is for unstable sources that aren't ready for prime-time.
Cocoon, POI and other projects on Jakarta and XML use it. The target lets
you build sources that you might not want on a production system. Having
the directory seperated off from the main trunk so that you don't pollute
the main trunk with dead directories when things move or are refactored.

Anyhow, this has worked well elsewhere.

Re: Re: Where are we with lucene search application design? [ In reply to ]
> Scratchpad is for unstable sources that aren't ready for prime-time.
> Cocoon, POI and other projects on Jakarta and XML use it. The target lets
> you build sources that you might not want on a production system. Having
> the directory seperated off from the main trunk so that you don't pollute
> the main trunk with dead directories when things move or are refactored.
> Anyhow, this has worked well elsewhere.

Seems nice. I am ready to propose my contribution to it with the normalizer
sources.

Rodrigo

Re: Scratchpad? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I like this idea and it came up when we first introduced the idea of a
contrib area.
There was reservation to the idea because of the maintenance involved with
controlling other people's code.

Also, there is an impression of support for a given function even if it is
just in the scratchpad area. I know other projects like commons has a
sandbox so people know the items are not stable, but this seems different
than what you are doing.

My current thinking is that you want to make a scratchpad for the new
project pieces you are working on with the web crawling stuff. Maybe this
should be a new project or a separate sub project in Lucene. Have Lucene
turn a bigger project with a few some pieces (search/index engine, web
crawler, ???)

So I would suggest having pieces in the contrib area remain and not create a
scratch pad, but a sub project.

What are your thoughts?

--Peter

Re: Scratchpad? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 15:50, Peter Carlson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like this idea and it came up when we first introduced the idea of a
> contrib area.
> There was reservation to the idea because of the maintenance involved with
> controlling other people's code.
>
> Also, there is an impression of support for a given function even if it is
> just in the scratchpad area. I know other projects like commons has a
> sandbox so people know the items are not stable, but this seems different
> than what you are doing.
>
> My current thinking is that you want to make a scratchpad for the new
> project pieces you are working on with the web crawling stuff. Maybe this
> should be a new project or a separate sub project in Lucene. Have Lucene
> turn a bigger project with a few some pieces (search/index engine, web
> crawler, ???)
>
> So I would suggest having pieces in the contrib area remain and not create a
> scratch pad, but a sub project.
>
> What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is going to be one of those really long
catch-22 discussions when all we want is a place to refactor the code
contributions, work with the contributers, and get them into shape
before doing what we all discussed and decided on the list months ago.
My thought is that I've spent way to much time on Apache lately arguing
for the right to code and way to little time being able to do it. So
I'm tabling this for now and I'll come back when I have more spare
cycles for long catch-22 discussions. This will undoubtably seem like
another one of my over-reactions but I just want to write code and docs
and stuff....Endless "go commit your code over there" "but no go do it
over there" discussions have gotten so old that I just don't have the
energy right now for one more. so I give for now, be back in a few
months.

Sorry Mark.

-Andy

> --Peter
>

> On 3/22/02 1:23 PM, "acoliver" <acoliver@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I've been stalled lately with a backlog of work. I sent an email
> > asking if anyone here objected to the creation of a scratchpad area and
> > build target but even I did not get my own message.
> >
> > So If no one objects I'd like to create the scratchpad, create a target for
> > it and begin refactoring the sources that were donated.
> >
> >> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:36:27 -0700 "Mark Tucker" <MTucker@infoimage.com>
> > wrote.
> >> Who is working on the design of the search application extension to lucene?
> >

> >> Where are we in the design of the architecture?
> >

> >> What are the next steps?
> >

> >> Mark Tucker
> >

> >> --

> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <mailto:lucene-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >

> > --

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound
Document
format to java
- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Scratchpad? [ In reply to ]
That sounded nasty....What I meant to say...I'm really just tired of
"issues" (just want to write code and docs, the rest is just really
really boring to me). So Please reference the discussion from about 1
month ago when this was last discussed and you'll get the answer to your
questions. Anyhow, I can see this isn't going to be as simple as just
writing and refactoring but will involve long "here or there or under
there" issues and I just don't have time for that. So I'll be back
either when I do or when someone else who does has finished
springboarding the effort.

Thanks,

-Andy