Mailing List Archive

Lucene - Dynamo glue class -- How to make it available to users?
Hello All. Thanks for Lucene.

My main workplace uses ATG Dynamo as the application server. I wrote a
class to help use Lucene Documents with Dynamo --
essentially a BeanInfo type class that lets Dynamo discover the Fields
in an existing Document so the Document's properties can be referred to
in jhtml (the markup language used by Dynamo).

I can make this class available; the interest is no doubt pretty
limited, but it would probably be useful to people who have to use
Dynamo. It doesn't really seem to belong to the main org.apache.lucene
tree. I was curious if anyone had suggestions as to what would be an
appropriate way to make this available.

thanks
eric

Re: Lucene - Dynamo glue class -- How to make it available to users? [ In reply to ]
Hi eric,

If you send it in an email, I will add it to the contributions sections.
This is a link to contributions that are not part of the main lucene build.

The link will be directly to your email in a mail-archive.

Thnaks

--Peter

Re: Lucene - Dynamo glue class -- How to make it available to users? [ In reply to ]
Peter,

We should change the way we deal with contributions in the long run, or
we risk those contributions disappearing with time (people leave
companies, URLs became invalid, and mailing list archives don't seem
like a place to use a code repository).

How about getting a more serious place for storing contributions?
For instance, a Lucene Contributions project on SourceForge or
something such?
Ideally Apache/Jakarta would have a place for user contributions.
Perhaps we could just have a contributions directory under Lucene (with
clear statements that Lucene developers can't really help users with
those or something that will limit the amount of incoming emails).

Just thinking out loud...

Otis

Re: Lucene - Dynamo glue class -- How to make it available to users? [ In reply to ]
Otis,

I have mixed feelings on this particular subject because of experience as an
Ant committer. Ant has taken in a lot of tasks that burdens the committers
with maintenance issues and backwards compatibility support. But Ant is
also useless without tasks.

Lucene doesn't have quite the burden of maintaining backwards compatibility
on such extensions as Ant does (I don't think), but certainly the analogy
applies in general. Lucene as an API is great, but you need the "glue" to
really make it useful.

I think a 'contrib' area maintained in Jakarta's Lucene repository would be
a good thing, with any such disclaimers needed to make it understood that
the Lucene committers will do their best to keep them maintained but its not
a priority.

Erik