all the "Computer Science" related index files in one location,
"Electronics" related indexes in another location etc.. The user will give
the same category along with the search string while searching. Is it
possible in lucene that based on this 'category', to search only in this
specific categorized index files so that, I'll get only those files relating
to this category ??

Thanks in advance,
Kishore.
Re: Sub indices in Lucene [ In reply to ]
This is functionality you would build upon Lucene. I.e, when a document is
dropped to the indexing module, you check the category and append the
document to an appropriate index. You can then search multiple indices with
one searcher or with multiple searchers. Also, Lucene 1.4 is kinda old...
welcome to 2007 :)