Mailing List Archive

Lucene on Windows
I'm trying to implement Lucene and I'm having problems with the
installation. Please help.

I have windows 2003 server.

Installed Java (c:\jdk1.3.1_17)

Unzipped lucene-1.4.3.zip to d:\lucene

Copied lucene-1.4.3.jar and lucene-demos-1.4.3.jar to c:\jdk1.3.1_17\lib

I try to run the indexer from the command line (as shown on page 14 of
Lucene in action) but I don't get a response back.

Java build/index d:\lucene

Thanks

Charles W
Re: Lucene on Windows [ In reply to ]
try putting the jar files in the jre/lib/ext folder of the jre used by the
system
or
try adding the path of the jar files like

d:\lucene\lucene-1.4.3.jar;d:\lucene\lucene-demos-1.4.3.jar;
to the classpath in the environmental variables.

Re: Lucene on Windows [ In reply to ]
On Mar 8, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Charles Wunderlich wrote:
> I'm trying to implement Lucene and I'm having problems with the
> installation. Please help.
>

> I have windows 2003 server.
>
> Installed Java (c:\jdk1.3.1_17)

I personally would have installed a much more recent version of
Java. It is up to version 1.5 (errr, 5.0!).

> Unzipped lucene-1.4.3.zip to d:\lucene
>
> Copied lucene-1.4.3.jar and lucene-demos-1.4.3.jar to c:\jdk1.3.1_17
> \lib

Lucene 1.9.1 is the latest version of Lucene.

I strongly recommend against moving 3rd party JAR files into your JDK
lib directory. Use the "java" command-line option to set a
classpath, or the CLASSPATH environment variable instead.

> I try to run the indexer from the command line (as shown on page 14 of
> Lucene in action) but I don't get a response back.
>
> Java build/index d:\lucene

This is _not_ the command-line shown on page 14 of LIA. The command-
line is this:

java lia.meetlucene.Indexer build/index /lucene

Also read the "code conventions and downloads" section on page xxxii
where we discuss classpath. You did not mention downloading the
Lucene in Action code, but to run our Indexer example, you'll need to
download that and follow those instructions as well.

Erik
RE: Lucene on Windows [ In reply to ]
My /jre/lib folder doesn't have a ext folder.
I added the .jar files to the classpath.
Still no luck. I've been trying to finish what someone else started.
------------

I'm now trying to setup Lucene on another machine running winxp.
Java -version 1.5.0_06
Download & unzipped 1.9.1 to c:\lucene
C:\lucene>set classpath
classpath=c:\lucene\lucene-core-1.9.1.jar;c:\lucene\lucene-demos-1.9.1.j
ar

I get the following message(s):
C:\lucene>java build/index c:\lucene
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: build/index

C:\lucene>java lia.meetlucene.Indexer build/index /lucene
lia/meetlucene/Indexer

__
Quote from page 14 of LIA.
Note: If you're running this application on a Windows platform command
shell, you need to adjust the command line's directory and path
separators. The Windows command line is java build/index c:\lucene
__

Re: Lucene on Windows [ In reply to ]
Charles,

Again you've missed a key piece of the command-line... the actual
classname. You are also apparently trying to run the demo that ships
with Lucene using a code example from "Lucene in Action" - these two
are completely separate.

If you want to run the demo and have Lucene in Action, reference the
appendix that describes running it in great detail. Also, be sure to
pay particular attention to the _exact_ command-lines provided.

Erik

RE: Lucene on Windows [ In reply to ]
>Again you've missed a key piece of the command-line... the actual
>classname.
Can you provide example so I can better understand? Knowing my
configuration, what would be a valid command line for indexing a folder
(p:/files)?

>You are also apparently trying to run the demo that ships
>with Lucene using a code example from "Lucene in Action" - these two
>are completely separate.
I really don't care about a demo, I just need to index and search files
for now. I'll have more time to learn more later.
I downloaded Lucene from lucene.apache.org. Please feel free to educate
me. I've searched several groups and found several people having similar
issues, but I couldn't find a solution.

>If you want to run the demo and have Lucene in Action, reference the
>appendix that describes running it in great detail. Also, be sure to
>pay particular attention to the _exact_ command-lines provided.

I need to:
1) Index thousands of files in sub directories (p:/files/1980,
p:/files/1981,..., p:/files/2006). I expect this to take some time

2) Search indexed data via web front end that my programmer will create.

Thanks

Charles W
Re: Lucene on Windows [ In reply to ]
On Mar 8, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Charles Wunderlich wrote:
>> Again you've missed a key piece of the command-line... the actual
>> classname.
> Can you provide example so I can better understand? Knowing my
> configuration, what would be a valid command line for indexing a
> folder
> (p:/files)?

In your second example, you did specify the command-line with the
classname, so my apologies for not mentioning that in my last
message. However, you were using the command-line from "Lucene in
Action" using its custom code but without actually providing the code
from Lucene in Action in your classpath.

>> You are also apparently trying to run the demo that ships
>> with Lucene using a code example from "Lucene in Action" - these two
>> are completely separate.
> I really don't care about a demo, I just need to index and search
> files
> for now. I'll have more time to learn more later.
> I downloaded Lucene from lucene.apache.org. Please feel free to
> educate
> me. I've searched several groups and found several people having
> similar
> issues, but I couldn't find a solution.

Unfortunately Lucene isn't quite that deployable out of the box so
easily. The demo that comes with Lucene can provide a quick way to
do what you're after, but it is not flexible and is not something
you're likely to want to live with for very long. However, since
you're apparently new to Java and Lucene, the demo is perhaps your
best bet to go with for starters.

Lucene in Action describes using the demo in great detail in Appendix
A. It seems from your previous message mentioning the book that you
have it. If so, follow the instructions in Appendix A exactly and
you should be in business. There are also instructions publicly
available on Lucene's website:

<http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/demo.html>

Either should do the trick for your needs.

>> If you want to run the demo and have Lucene in Action, reference the
>> appendix that describes running it in great detail. Also, be sure to
>> pay particular attention to the _exact_ command-lines provided.
>
> I need to:
> 1) Index thousands of files in sub directories (p:/files/1980,
> p:/files/1981,..., p:/files/2006). I expect this to take some time
>
> 2) Search indexed data via web front end that my programmer will
> create.

Best wishes,
Erik