Mailing List Archive

Secure Solr Instance
Hi,

We are running solr instance using dataimport handler. Now, when we access Solr UI, then it is showing all configuration details(e.g. All DB details including credentials) after clicking on dataimport tab available on left side.

I have tried to protect this solr webapp which is deployed on Jboss. But after this search is not working as its asking for credentials and we have defined this URL within search application.

Can you please help me out for securing Solr Instance running on Prod Env?

------------------------
Best Regards,
Kuldeep Sharma

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: Secure Solr Instance [ In reply to ]
Put a web tier in front of Solr. Always.

RE: Secure Solr Instance [ In reply to ]
Hey Ted,

Can you please elaborate with example?

--------------------------
Regards,
Kuldeep Sharma

Kuldeep Sharma|  IT Enterprise  |  McDonald's Corporation

Re: Secure Solr Instance [ In reply to ]
No.

This is totally simple.

Just define your service end points on your web tier.

These should forward requests to the solr server (which should not itself
be otherwise accessible.

If you have the capability for layer 7 filtering between the web and solr
tiers you can add limits on which URL's can be touched by the web tier.
You can probably do this pretty easily using Apache configs.

There isn't much else to say. It is dead easy.

Re: Secure Solr Instance [ In reply to ]
Also see e.g. https://github.com/evolvingweb/ajax-solr/wiki/Solr-proxies for a list of proxies in case you need to expose low-level API access to Solr from the outside, e.g. from JS clients.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

RE: Secure Solr Instance [ In reply to ]
Hi Ted,

It would be really helpful, if you share any document or link about below.

Kuldeep Sharma

Re: Secure Solr Instance [ In reply to ]
I also want to explose to web, but boss not agree.
I think it can be done.
mark.