Mailing List Archive

Anyone use Neo4j? Is there interest in a resource agent for Neo4j?
Hi,

I use the Neo4j graph database in the Assimilation project, and the
Assimilation code uses OCF RAs (among others).

So I wrote a neo4j resource agent. I'm currently publishing it as part
of the Assimilation project code - because it's convenient for me.

If there is interest from others who would use it, I'd be happy to
provide it individually, or maybe even as part of the resource-agents
package.

The reason for me not to do that is that the distros lag far behind
(usually years behind) current source. So even if I published it there,
it would likely be years before I could stop publishing my own copy.

[.I confess I haven't yet written the metadata for the agent - because I
don't need it. If someone wants to use it, I'd be happy to take a patch
with metadata, or *gasp* write it myself].

As an aside:
The reason I use a graph database (like Neo4j) is this: we model data
centers (servers, applications, networks, IPs, MACs, switch connections,
dependencies, etc) -- and almost all interesting questions about data
centers are naturally graph questions.

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@assimilationsystems.com OR alanr@unix.sh
http://assimilationsystems.com/
Re: Anyone use Neo4j? Is there interest in a resource agent for Neo4j? [ In reply to ]
Hi Alan,

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 06:31:11PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the Neo4j graph database in the Assimilation project, and the
> Assimilation code uses OCF RAs (among others).
>
> So I wrote a neo4j resource agent. I'm currently publishing it as part
> of the Assimilation project code - because it's convenient for me.

There's nothing wrong with that. Actually, it'd be good if more
resource agents lived where there's enough expertise and
manpower to maintain them. While dealing with resource agents,
I'm often confronted with issues I have no clue about :) It can
be frustrated at times.

Cheers,

Dejan

Re: Anyone use Neo4j? Is there interest in a resource agent for Neo4j? [ In reply to ]
On 09/10/2014 06:02 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 06:31:11PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use the Neo4j graph database in the Assimilation project, and the
>> Assimilation code uses OCF RAs (among others).
>>
>> So I wrote a neo4j resource agent. I'm currently publishing it as part
>> of the Assimilation project code - because it's convenient for me.
> There's nothing wrong with that. Actually, it'd be good if more
> resource agents lived where there's enough expertise and
> manpower to maintain them. While dealing with resource agents,
> I'm often confronted with issues I have no clue about :) It can
> be frustrated at times.
I think I'd agree if it were published as part of Neo4j. That would
make total sense.

Not so sure it makes sense that you have to grab it from my project --
how would you even know it exists?

Re: Anyone use Neo4j? Is there interest in a resource agent for Neo4j? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:02:25AM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> On 09/10/2014 06:02 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 06:31:11PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I use the Neo4j graph database in the Assimilation project, and the
> >> Assimilation code uses OCF RAs (among others).
> >>
> >> So I wrote a neo4j resource agent. I'm currently publishing it as part
> >> of the Assimilation project code - because it's convenient for me.
> > There's nothing wrong with that. Actually, it'd be good if more
> > resource agents lived where there's enough expertise and
> > manpower to maintain them. While dealing with resource agents,
> > I'm often confronted with issues I have no clue about :) It can
> > be frustrated at times.
> I think I'd agree if it were published as part of Neo4j. That would
> make total sense.
>
> Not so sure it makes sense that you have to grab it from my project --
> how would you even know it exists?

Your favourite internet search engine perhaps? :)

Cheers,

Dejan