Mailing List Archive

Heartbeat Supported Version
Hello,

In our project we had the heartbeat cluster with version
"heartbeat-2.1.4-0.24.9".

Is it the supported version ?

Kindly assist how to get support for heartbeat cluster issues.
Regards

Venkata G Thota
DLF IT PARK

GTS Services Delivery - India
Chennai
UNIX Administrator
India
Phone:
+91 44 434 25397

Mobile:
+91 99625 48884

e-mail:
venkthot@in.ibm.com

Red Hat Certified Engineer

In happy moments, praise God. In difficult moments, seek God. In quiet
moments, worship God. In painful moments, trust God.
In every moment, thank God.
Re: Heartbeat Supported Version [ In reply to ]
You should email Linbit (http://linbit.com) as they're the company that
still supports the heartbeat package.

This said, if you are starting a new project, I strongly urge you to
consider corosync + pacemaker. The heartbeat project has not been
actively developed in quite some time, and there are no plans to restart
development in the future.

Back in the day, heartbeat was one separate platform and Red Hat's RHCS
was another. Over the years, this caused confusion and a lot of
"reinventing the wheel", so the two communities started work on merging
into one common platform. The result is corosync + pacemaker, which is
what all major developers are supporting from here on in.

If you're curious about the more detailed story, I've got a (still in
progress) history here:

https://alteeve.ca/w/History_of_HA_Clustering

Again, it's not complete, but it does give a fairly good background on
why heartbeat is not recommended anymore. It *is* still supported by
Linbit though, so I'm not saying not to use it. Just consider the future. :)

digimer

On 02/06/14 11:07 AM, Venkata G Thota wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In our project we had the heartbeat cluster with version
> "heartbeat-2.1.4-0.24.9".
>
> Is it the supported version ?
>
> Kindly assist how to get support for heartbeat cluster issues.
> Regards
>

> Venkata G Thota
> DLF IT PARK
>
> GTS Services Delivery - India
> Chennai
> UNIX Administrator
> India
> Phone:
> +91 44 434 25397
>

> Mobile:
> +91 99625 48884
>

> e-mail:
> venkthot@in.ibm.com
>

> Red Hat Certified Engineer
>

> In happy moments, praise God. In difficult moments, seek God. In quiet
> moments, worship God. In painful moments, trust God.
> In every moment, thank God.

Digimer
access to education?
Re: Heartbeat Supported Version [ In reply to ]
On 2014-06-02T20:37:59, Venkata G Thota <venkthot@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In our project we had the heartbeat cluster with version
> "heartbeat-2.1.4-0.24.9".
>
> Is it the supported version ?
>
> Kindly assist how to get support for heartbeat cluster issues.
> Regards

That looks like a fairly old heartbeat version from SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 10 SP4.

SLES 10 is out of general support since July 2013, but extended support
(https://www.suse.com/support/lc-faq.html#2) or LTSS is still
available.

Alternatively, the best option you'd have is to upgrade to SLES + HA 11
SP3.

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA

Re: Heartbeat Supported Version [ In reply to ]
On 2014-06-02T12:04:23, Digimer <lists@alteeve.ca> wrote:

> You should email Linbit (http://linbit.com) as they're the company that
> still supports the heartbeat package.

For completeness, I doubt Linbit will support this version, since 2.1.4
from SLES 10 contains a number of backports from the pacemaker 0.7/1.0
series. While source code is obviously available, I'd not suggest to
inflict this on Linbit ;-)

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA

Re: Heartbeat Supported Version [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/14 06:30 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2014-06-02T12:04:23, Digimer <lists@alteeve.ca> wrote:
>
>> You should email Linbit (http://linbit.com) as they're the company that
>> still supports the heartbeat package.
>
> For completeness, I doubt Linbit will support this version, since 2.1.4
> from SLES 10 contains a number of backports from the pacemaker 0.7/1.0
> series. While source code is obviously available, I'd not suggest to
> inflict this on Linbit ;-)
>

> Regards,
> Lars

I didn't think they would support it, but I wanted to leave that for
Linbit to say (I've been wrong enough times before...)

--
Digimer
access to education?
Re: Heartbeat Supported Version [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 06:31:09PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 02/06/14 06:30 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> >On 2014-06-02T12:04:23, Digimer <lists@alteeve.ca> wrote:
> >
> >>You should email Linbit (http://linbit.com) as they're the company that
> >>still supports the heartbeat package.
> >
> >For completeness, I doubt Linbit will support this version, since 2.1.4
> >from SLES 10 contains a number of backports from the pacemaker 0.7/1.0
> >series. While source code is obviously available, I'd not suggest to
> >inflict this on Linbit ;-)
> >

> >Regards,
> > Lars
>
> I didn't think they would support it, but I wanted to leave that for
> Linbit to say (I've been wrong enough times before...)

Thanks, both of you ;-)

Yes, we maintain heartbeat.
We still occasionally bugfix (or even enhance) it if necessary.

That does not mean we support each and every legacy version of it
that happend to be bundled with some distribution at some point.

That's probably a matter of time and money,
and "political constraints" ...

If you really have to stay with whatever platform you have right now,
but need it to be "supported" for "a very long term":
as that is a SuSE platform, ask SuSE what they can offer.

If you are basically happy with what you have,
but need "just this one snag fixed",
describe your problem, and maybe someone will be able to
tell you what to do (but that won't go without metioning
in every second sentence that you should probably upgrade).

If you are about to set up a new cluster,
go with current software.

Heartbeat itself is currently 3.something,
in fact pending a new release tag since ages...

Appart from few but important bugfixes
and some minor improvements to the inner workings of it,
the main difference from heartbeat 2. to heartbeat 3 is,
that the "crm" (cluster resource manager) part of it
was split out (years ago) and became Pacemaker.

Depending on what you have now, what you are used to do,
what you feel most comfortable with, and what you want to achieve,
I see several options.

* you are used to haresources, and in fact want to still use that
-=> use current heartbeat 3.x packages,
and keep doing whatever you did until now
* you have been using "crm" with heartbeat 2.x
or at least you now want to start using it
-=> you should upgrade to "Pacemaker", which is "just"
the natural evolution of the heartbeat "crm" component,
even with the same lead developer still.
*several years* of evolution and improvements, in fact.

You have further options now:

* Keep the cluster communication and membership layer:
"heartbeat" (3.x) + pacemaker
* Change the cluster communication and membership layer:
"corosync" (2.x) + pacemaker

(and more, like cman and corosync 1.x...)

Recommendation for new clusters:
go with pacemaker (1.1.12 will be release soon)
and corosync (2.3.3 is it now?).

That's also about what you will get with current distributions
(rhel7, sles12).

(Though we at Linbit are still happy
with heartbeat + pacemaker as well).

--
: Lars Ellenberg

Re: Heartbeat Supported Version [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/14 07:05 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> (Though we at Linbit are still happy
> with heartbeat + pacemaker as well).

Heathens! HEATHENS!!

;)