Mailing List Archive

Antw: resource-agents: exportfs: Unlocking filesystems on stop by default
Hi!

I'm wondering: Does "unlock" mean that all file locks are invalidated? If so,
I think it's a bad idea, because for a migration of the NFS server the exports
will be stopped/started, thus loosing all locks. That's not what a HA
NFS-Server should do. HA NFS-Servers try hard to preserve locks.

Regards,
Ulrich Windl

Re: Antw: resource-agents: exportfs: Unlocking filesystems on stop by default [ In reply to ]
On 2014-03-11T12:37:39, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> I'm wondering: Does "unlock" mean that all file locks are invalidated? If so,
> I think it's a bad idea, because for a migration of the NFS server the exports
> will be stopped/started, thus loosing all locks. That's not what a HA
> NFS-Server should do. HA NFS-Servers try hard to preserve locks.

No. Specifically, this feature was explicitly designed for HA take-over:
http://people.redhat.com/rpeterso/Patches/NFS/NLM/004.txt

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA

Re: Antw: resource-agents: exportfs: Unlocking filesystems on stop by default [ In reply to ]
>>> Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@suse.com> schrieb am 11.03.2014 um 12:45 in
Nachricht
<20140311114553.GK13959@suse.de>:
> On 2014-03-11T12:37:39, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
wrote:

>> I'm wondering: Does "unlock" mean that all file locks are invalidated? If
> so,
>> I think it's a bad idea, because for a migration of the NFS server the
> exports
>> will be stopped/started, thus loosing all locks. That's not what a HA
>> NFS-Server should do. HA NFS-Servers try hard to preserve locks.
>
> No. Specifically, this feature was explicitly designed for HA take-over:
> http://people.redhat.com/rpeterso/Patches/NFS/NLM/004.txt

So if I understand it correctly, the machanism applies where the nfsd is kept
running while the exports, ip addresses and filesystems underneeth change.
Right? This is only one scenario how to do it. I'm also wonering how a matching
cluster configuration would look like.