Thanks.

--
Serge Dubrouski.

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 10, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> Hello -
>
> So I've beem looking for some documentation how to marry CRM and
> openAIS and so far found none. I suppose that openAIS should support
> some kind of crm {} section in openais.conf file like it does for amf,
> is it true? Are there any hints on how to make openAIS to start CRM?

i'll have to write a howto on this when the official packages get
released next week, but for now:

1) you need to get the openais^, pacemaker-ais and heartbeat-common
packages from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/beekhof/
2) set up a regular openais configuration. eg.
totem {
version: 2
secauth: off
threads: 0
interface {
ringnumber: 0
bindnetaddr: 192.168.9.51
mcastaddr: 226.94.1.1
mcastport: 5405
}
}

logging {
fileline: off
to_syslog: yes
syslog_facility: daemon
to_stderr: yes
to_file: yes
logfile: /var/log/openais.log
debug: on
timestamp: on
logger {
ident: CRM
debug: on
tags: enter|leave|trace1|trace2|trace3|trace4|trace6
fileline: off
}
}

amf {
mode: disabled
}

3) add the following to /etc/ais/openais.conf
aisexec {
user: root
group: root
}

4) run: /etc/init.d/ais start

5) repeat on the rest of your nodes.

6) thats it. the same cib configuration can be used. um, except for
the nodes section... probably best to wipe that (since the UUIDs wont
be the same)

7) send feedback :-)

^ only the packages at that location have the two extra patches (one
from red hat, one from me) required for running pacemaker

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> Ok.
>
> 1. I've got Fedora Core 6 packages from you site and installed them.
> 2. While installing pacemaker-openais complained on conflict over
> /usr/lib/heartbeat/haresources2cib.py file that was installed with
> heartbeat-common and again included into pacemaker-openais

ah, ok. i'll fix that

> 3. openais and pacemaker-openasi rpms produced following non critical
> error message during installation:
>
> /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.NNNNNN: line 1: fg: no job control

Hmmm... i'll investigate

> 4. For some yet unknown reason I wasn't able to make openais to log
> into /var/log/openais.log. My logging section of config file looks
> like this:
>
> logging {
> fileline: off
> to_stderr: yes
> to_file: yes
> to_syslog: yes
> syslog_facility: daemon
> logfile: /var/log/openais.log
> debug: on
> timestamp: on
> logger_subsys {
> subsys: CRM
> debug: off
> tags: enter|leave|trace1|trace2|trace3|trace4|trace6
> fileline: off
> }
> }

i think (you might need to check with the openais guys) that only one
type of logging is performed and syslog_facility takes precedent over
logfile

> 5. openais started all right but CRM failed to start:
>
> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SERV ] Service initialized
> 'openais configuration service'
> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SERV ] Service initialized
> 'openais cluster closed process group service v1.01'
> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SERV ] Service failed to
> load 'lha_crm'.
> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SYNC ] Not using a virtual
> synchrony filter.
> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [TOTEM] Creating commit
> token because I
>
> I wasn't able to find any additional information.

can you do an ls of /usr/lib/lcrso for me pls?
looks like the plugin cant be found or wont load

> 6. Looks like openias itself is healthy. It reported both nodes
> joining the cluster:
>
> Jan 10 16:13:31 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [CLM ] CLM CONFIGURATION
> CHANGE
> Jan 10 16:13:31 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [CLM ] New Configuration:
> Jan 10 16:13:31 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [CLM ] r(0)
> ip(192.168.1.111)
> Jan 10 16:13:31 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [CLM ] r(0)
> ip(192.168.1.112)
>
> 7. None of the installed packages included ocf RAs. How is it supposed
> to run resources?

they're in heartbeat-resources

though i'm not 100% sure breaking them out into their own package is a
good idea. thoughts?

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> Ok.
>
> 1. I've got Fedora Core 6 packages from you site and installed them.
> 2. While installing pacemaker-openais complained on conflict over
> /usr/lib/heartbeat/haresources2cib.py file that was installed with
> heartbeat-common and again included into pacemaker-openais

fixed

> 3. openais and pacemaker-openasi rpms produced following non critical
> error message during installation:
>
> /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.NNNNNN: line 1: fg: no job control

fixed

as an added bonus, the packages have been updated with the latest
pacemaker fixes (from release testing)
they're building now

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 11, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008 11:33 PM, Andrew Beekhof <beekhof@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:
>>> 4. For some yet unknown reason I wasn't able to make openais to log
>>> into /var/log/openais.log. My logging section of config file looks
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> logging {
>>> fileline: off
>>> to_stderr: yes
>>> to_file: yes
>>> to_syslog: yes
>>> syslog_facility: daemon
>>> logfile: /var/log/openais.log
>>> debug: on
>>> timestamp: on
>>> logger_subsys {
>>> subsys: CRM
>>> debug: off
>>> tags: enter|leave|trace1|trace2|trace3|trace4|trace6
>>> fileline: off
>>> }
>>> }
>>
>> i think (you might need to check with the openais guys) that only one
>> type of logging is performed and syslog_facility takes precedent over
>> logfile
>
> Without syslog facility enabled there was no logging at all. I'll try
> to contact openAIS guys.

odd
maybe my logging config is broken

>>> 5. openais started all right but CRM failed to start:
>>>
>>> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SERV ] Service initialized
>>> 'openais configuration service'
>>> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SERV ] Service initialized
>>> 'openais cluster closed process group service v1.01'
>>> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SERV ] Service failed to
>>> load 'lha_crm'.
>>> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [SYNC ] Not using a virtual
>>> synchrony filter.
>>> Jan 10 16:13:01 fc-node2 openais[16305]: [TOTEM] Creating commit
>>> token because I
>>>
>>> I wasn't able to find any additional information.
>>
>> can you do an ls of /usr/lib/lcrso for me pls?
>> looks like the plugin cant be found or wont load
>
> # ls /usr/lib/lcrso
> ls: /usr/lib/lcrso: No such file or directory

s/lib/libexec/ ?
i forget what defaults are for red hat

>>> 7. None of the installed packages included ocf RAs. How is it
>>> supposed
>>> to run resources?
>>
>> they're in heartbeat-resources
>>
>> though i'm not 100% sure breaking them out into their own package
>> is a
>> good idea. thoughts?
>
> I'm kind of disagree. Without them CRM is almost useless,

well in theory the Red Hat (or anyone else) could supply their own set
of RAs which could be used instead

> so I'd put them into pacemaker-openais.

Even if I wanted to (which I'm not convinced I do), there are
political problems with doing so and we would start having double
maintenance issues.
If anything, I'd merge heartbeat-resources with heartbeat-common.

> I take it that at the end you are going to get rid of heartbeat-
> common.

no, no plans for that.

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On 2008-01-11T18:54:21, Andrew Beekhof <beekhof@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> they're in heartbeat-resources
>>>
>>> though i'm not 100% sure breaking them out into their own package is a
>>> good idea. thoughts?
>>
>> I'm kind of disagree. Without them CRM is almost useless,
>
> well in theory the Red Hat (or anyone else) could supply their own set of
> RAs which could be used instead

They belong into heartbeat-resources, that's fine.

>> so I'd put them into pacemaker-openais.
>
> Even if I wanted to (which I'm not convinced I do), there are political
> problems with doing so and we would start having double maintenance issues.
> If anything, I'd merge heartbeat-resources with heartbeat-common.

No, I think they should remain separate. Clearly they don't belong into
pacemaker-ais, as they can be used w/o pacemaker as well.

(I know this is not your interest, but for the Linux HA project in
"legacy mode" it matters, once Alan gets over the split itself.)

Regards,
Lars

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 11, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

>>> I'm kind of disagree. Without them CRM is almost useless,
>>
>> well in theory the Red Hat (or anyone else) could supply their own
>> set of
>> RAs which could be used instead
>
> They belong into heartbeat-resources, that's fine.
>
>>> so I'd put them into pacemaker-openais.
>>
>> Even if I wanted to (which I'm not convinced I do), there are
>> political
>> problems with doing so and we would start having double maintenance
>> issues.
>> If anything, I'd merge heartbeat-resources with heartbeat-common.
>
> No, I think they should remain separate. Clearly they don't belong
> into
> pacemaker-ais, as they can be used w/o pacemaker as well.
>
> (I know this is not your interest, but for the Linux HA project in
> "legacy mode" it matters, once Alan gets over the split itself.)

Just to be clear, if that was directed at me, I agree that they should
not be part of pacemaker (which is why they are not part of the source
tree).
Apologies if "which I'm not convinced I do" wasn't clear enough in
that respect - I was merely playing devil's advocate.

And I tend to agree about them being in heartbeat-resources... though
its largely an academic point anyway.

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 11, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

>>> # ls /usr/lib/lcrso
>>> ls: /usr/lib/lcrso: No such file or directory
>>
>> s/lib/libexec/ ?
>> i forget what defaults are for red hat
>
> [sdubrov@fc-node1 ~]$ ls -l /usr/libexec/lcrso/
> total 972
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15602 Dec 12 11:46 aisparser.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26982 Dec 12 11:46 objdb.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 432973 Dec 12 11:46 service_amf.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23977 Dec 12 11:46 service_cfg.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 116878 Dec 12 11:46 service_ckpt.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35638 Dec 12 11:46 service_clm.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44795 Dec 12 11:46 service_cpg.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23590 Dec 12 11:46 service_evs.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 114247 Dec 12 11:46 service_evt.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 60107 Dec 12 11:46 service_lck.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48487 Dec 12 11:46 service_msg.lcrso
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23814 Dec 12 11:46 vsf_ykd.lcrso
> [sdubrov@fc-node1 ~]$

looks like the pacemaker plugin is missing :-(

i'll fix that tomorrow. in the meantime, if service_crm.so is part of
the package somewhere, copy it to the above directory with a .lcrso
suffix and restart ais...
it should "just work"

>>> I'm kind of disagree. Without them CRM is almost useless,
>>
>> well in theory the Red Hat (or anyone else) could supply their own
>> set
>> of RAs which could be used instead
>>
>>> so I'd put them into pacemaker-openais.
>>
>> Even if I wanted to (which I'm not convinced I do), there are
>> political problems with doing so and we would start having double
>> maintenance issues.
>> If anything, I'd merge heartbeat-resources with heartbeat-common.
>>> I take it that at the end you are going to get rid of heartbeat-
>>> common.
>>
>> no, no plans for that.
>
> That creates some kind of a confusion at least in the naming of
> packages. Why would I need a heartbeat package if I'm going to use
> openAIS + CRM?

heartbeat-common contains a number of useful libraries and tools (such
as the lrmd) which are useful regardless of which cluster stack one is
using.
In fact clplumbing is useful even if you're not doing clustering at
all - there is a lot of good stuff in there.

> So I'd name them pacemaker-base and pacemaker-openais.
> But I'm agree that it creates political issues :-)

More than anything else, its also not accurate, since the package
comes from the heartbeat project not pacemaker.

I could try and maintain those parts of the code in pacemaker but I
don't have the intention, time or expertise to do so.
There is simply no benefit in trying to.

Everyone repeat after me... Pacemaker is NOT a fork of Heartbeat. The
project contains the CRM and nothing more.

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 17, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> I've got it starting all right,. now it complains on permissions:
>
> Jan 17 11:00:16 fc-node1 crmd: [32197]: ERROR: socket_wait_conn_new:
> unlink failure(/var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd): Permission denied
> Jan 17 11:00:16 fc-node1 cib: [32196]: ERROR: Could not open config
> file /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml.last for reading: Permission
> denied
> Jan 17 11:00:16 fc-node1 crmd: [32197]: ERROR: socket_wait_conn_new:
> trying to create in /var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd bind:: Address already
> in use

already in use?
you dont have heartbeat running too do you?

> All those files belong to hacluser:hacluster Do they need to belong to
> the other user?

assuming you're using the packages from the build service (and that
hacluser is missing a 't'), that should be right.

maybe delete /var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd and see what perms it gets
recreated with?

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 17, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008 10:14 AM, Andrew Beekhof <beekhof@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:
>>
>>> I've got it starting all right,. now it complains on permissions:
>>>
>>> Jan 17 11:00:16 fc-node1 crmd: [32197]: ERROR: socket_wait_conn_new:
>>> unlink failure(/var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd): Permission denied
>>> Jan 17 11:00:16 fc-node1 cib: [32196]: ERROR: Could not open config
>>> file /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml.last for reading: Permission
>>> denied
>>> Jan 17 11:00:16 fc-node1 crmd: [32197]: ERROR: socket_wait_conn_new:
>>> trying to create in /var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd bind:: Address
>>> already
>>> in use
>>
>> already in use?
>> you dont have heartbeat running too do you?

>>> All those files belong to hacluser:hacluster Do they need to
>>> belong to
>>> the other user?
>>
>> assuming you're using the packages from the build service (and that
>> hacluser is missing a 't'), that should be right.
>>
>> maybe delete /var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd and see what perms it gets
>> recreated with?
>>

> Looks like you built Fedora packages for particular UID or so:

correct - the heartbeat package uses 24 (and pacemaker inherits that)
which is what the fedora guys use (apparently)

> Jan 17 12:27:21 fc-node1 crmd: [323]: info: crmd_init: Starting crmd
> Jan 17 12:27:21 fc-node1 attrd: [324]: ERROR: Cannot get name for uid
> [24]: Success
> Jan 17 12:27:21 fc-node1 cib: [322]: ERROR: Cannot get name for uid
> [24]: Success
>
> Then:
>
> Jan 17 12:30:32 fc-node1 cib: [773]: info: retrieveCib: Reading
> cluster configuration from: /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml (digest:
> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml.sig)
> Jan 17 12:30:32 fc-node1 cib: [773]: ERROR: Could not open config file
> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml for reading: Permission denied
> Jan 17 12:30:32 fc-node1 cib: [773]: ERROR: retrieveCib:
> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml exists but does NOT contain valid XML.
>

> But:
>
> # ls -l /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml
> -rw------- 1 hacluster hacluster 3158 Jan 10 16:08
> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml
>
> And crmd doesn't get created with the same error: permissions denied.
>
> Changind uid for hacluster from 501 to 24 fixed the problem.
>
> BTW: Stopping openais service leaves lrmd up:
>
> [root@fc-node1 log]# service openais stop
> Stopping OpenAIS daemon (aisexec): [ OK ]
> [root@fc-node1 log]# ps -ef | grep heart
> root 3444 1 0 12:37 pts/0 00:00:00 /usr/lib/heartbeat/
> lrmd
> root 3483 32732 0 12:39 pts/0 00:00:00 grep heart
>
> Is it supposed to be like that?

no

logs?

Re: CRM and openAIS [ In reply to ]
On Jan 17, 2008, at 6:55 PM, Serge Dubrouski wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008 10:40 AM, Serge Dubrouski <sergeyfd@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> already in use?
>>> you dont have heartbeat running too do you?

>>> assuming you're using the packages from the build service (and that
>>> hacluser is missing a 't'), that should be right.
>>>
>>> maybe delete /var/run/heartbeat/crm/crmd and see what perms it gets
>>> recreated with?
>>>

>> Looks like you built Fedora packages for particular UID or so:
>>
>> Jan 17 12:27:21 fc-node1 crmd: [323]: info: crmd_init: Starting crmd
>> Jan 17 12:27:21 fc-node1 attrd: [324]: ERROR: Cannot get name for uid
>> [24]: Success
>> Jan 17 12:27:21 fc-node1 cib: [322]: ERROR: Cannot get name for uid
>> [24]: Success
>>
>> Then:
>>
>> Jan 17 12:30:32 fc-node1 cib: [773]: info: retrieveCib: Reading
>> cluster configuration from: /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml (digest:
>> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml.sig)
>> Jan 17 12:30:32 fc-node1 cib: [773]: ERROR: Could not open config
>> file
>> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml for reading: Permission denied
>> Jan 17 12:30:32 fc-node1 cib: [773]: ERROR: retrieveCib:
>> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml exists but does NOT contain valid XML.
>>

>> But:
>>
>> # ls -l /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml
>> -rw------- 1 hacluster hacluster 3158 Jan 10 16:08
>> /var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml
>>
>> And crmd doesn't get created with the same error: permissions denied.
>>
>> Changind uid for hacluster from 501 to 24 fixed the problem.
>>
>> BTW: Stopping openais service leaves lrmd up:
>>
>> [root@fc-node1 log]# service openais stop
>> Stopping OpenAIS daemon (aisexec): [ OK ]
>> [root@fc-node1 log]# ps -ef | grep heart
>> root 3444 1 0 12:37 pts/0 00:00:00 /usr/lib/heartbeat/
>> lrmd
>> root 3483 32732 0 12:39 pts/0 00:00:00 grep heart
>>
>> Is it supposed to be like that?
>> --
>> Serge Dubrouski.
>>

> And some more problems:
>
> Jan 17 12:43:27 fc-node2 lrmd: [10530]: ERROR: on_msg_add_rsc: RA
> class [stonith] does not exist.
> Jan 17 12:43:27 fc-node2 crmd: [10532]: ERROR: lrm_add_rsc(726): got a
> return code HA_FAIL from a reply message of addrsc with function
> get_ret_from_msg.
> Jan 17 12:43:27 fc-node2 crmd: [10532]: ERROR: get_lrm_resource: Could
> not add resource child_DoFencing:0 to LRM
> Jan 17 12:43:27 fc-node2 crmd: [10532]: ERROR: do_lrm_invoke: Invalid
> resource definition

Not so much a problem as something thats not implemented yet.

stonithd relies on the heartbeat comms layer and thus wont work with
OpenAIS.
plus the configuration is hell and there are a number of design/
implementation issues.

we're going to get together with the Red Hat guys to figure out what
we're going to do for stonith in the new stack.
there will likely be a short-term solution next month.