Mailing List Archive

CRM/Pacemaker - Project Update
Here is the news from the Pacemaker project for the week ending
December 14, 2007

- Most importantly, we selected a name: Pacemaker

- Merged the AIS port
- Purged almost all the heartbeat code from the source repository
- Set up mailing lists (http://list.clusterlabs.org) and bugzilla (http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
)
- The choice of cluster stack is now selected automatically based on
who started us
- Many changes to allow supporting either or both cluster stacks
- Ported attrd to run on OpenAIS
- Re-evaluated heartbeat package layout
- Stop building the built-in CRM
- Split into essential (used by both stacks) and non-essential
(only used by the heartbeat stack) components
- New home for Pacemaker source code:
http://hg.clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/dev/
- Temporary home for packages:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/beekhof

Packages come in 3 flavors depending on which stacks are supported,
- pacemaker supports both stacks
- pacemaker-ais supports only OpenAIS
- pacemaker-heartbeat supports only Heartbeat

Packages exist for current RedHat and SUSE distros. Debian and
Ubuntu will follow next week.

This leaves us in pretty good shape for our first week.
Starting Monday I will begin release testing for our first (feature
frozen) stable series.
The plan is to have this completed by mid-January (not a lot will get
done over the Christmas/New Year break) and provide bug-fix-only
updates until at least 2009.

regards,
Andrew
CRM/Pacemaker - Project Update [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew, hi list!

* Andrew Beekhof <abeekhof@suse.de> [2007-12-15 17:47]:
> Here is the news from the Pacemaker project for the week ending December
> 14, 2007
>
> - Most importantly, we selected a name: Pacemaker

Interesting one, although its meaning is not that easy to grasp at
first sight :)

> [...]
> Packages come in 3 flavors depending on which stacks are supported,
> - pacemaker supports both stacks
> - pacemaker-ais supports only OpenAIS
> - pacemaker-heartbeat supports only Heartbeat
>
> Packages exist for current RedHat and SUSE distros. Debian and Ubuntu
> will follow next week.

I'd like to provide a Gentoo metapackage for Pacemaker (and OpenAIS,
as there's currently no Gentoo metapackage either).

I hope we will be able to collaborate well in the future -- unfortunately
Linux-HA/Heartbeat support wasn't that great on Gentoo until now...

> This leaves us in pretty good shape for our first week.
> Starting Monday I will begin release testing for our first (feature frozen)
> stable series.
> The plan is to have this completed by mid-January (not a lot will get done
> over the Christmas/New Year break) and provide bug-fix-only updates until
> at least 2009.

Sounds good. I'm really looking forward into the results of
this new movement :)

I'll let you all know when I have some Gentoo stuff ready :)
Wolfram Schlich <wschlich@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux * http://dev.gentoo.org/~wschlich/
CRM/Pacemaker - Project Update [ In reply to ]
On Dec 15, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Wolfram Schlich wrote:

> Hi Andrew, hi list!
>
> * Andrew Beekhof <abeekhof@suse.de> [2007-12-15 17:47]:
>> Here is the news from the Pacemaker project for the week ending
>> December
>> 14, 2007
>>
>> - Most importantly, we selected a name: Pacemaker
>
> Interesting one, although its meaning is not that easy to grasp at
> first sight :)

Keeps you're cluster ticking :-)

>> [...]
>> Packages come in 3 flavors depending on which stacks are supported,
>> - pacemaker supports both stacks
>> - pacemaker-ais supports only OpenAIS
>> - pacemaker-heartbeat supports only Heartbeat
>>
>> Packages exist for current RedHat and SUSE distros. Debian and
>> Ubuntu
>> will follow next week.
>
> I'd like to provide a Gentoo metapackage for Pacemaker (and OpenAIS,
> as there's currently no Gentoo metapackage either).

That'd be great!

> I hope we will be able to collaborate well in the future --
> unfortunately
> Linux-HA/Heartbeat support wasn't that great on Gentoo until now...

Nod. Here's hoping we can do something about that :-)