Mailing List Archive

Announcing release 0.1.0 of the Assimilation Monitoring Project!
Hi all,

This announcement is likely to be of interest to people like you who are
concerned about availability.

I founded the Linux-HA project in 1998 and led it for nearly 10 years.
Back in about November 2010, I announced the beginnings of what would
become the Assimilation Monitoring Project on this mailing list.

The Assimilation Monitoring project [http://assimmon.org
<http://assimmon.org/>] is a new open source monitoring project with a
revolutionary architecture. It provides highly scalable [~*/O/*(1)]
monitoring driven by integrated continuous Stealth Discovery(TM).

This first release is intended as a proof of concept, to demonstrate the
architecture, get feedback, add early adopters, and grow the community.

The project has basically two thrusts:

* It provides /extremely/ scalable exception monitoring (100K servers
-- no problem)
* It discovers all the details of your infrastructure (servers,
services, dependencies, switches, switch port connections, etc.),
builds a Neo4j graph database of all the gory details and updates it
as things change - without setting off network security alarms.
* The two functions are integrated in a way that will permit much
easier configuration than traditional systems, and support the
creation of simple audits to see if everything is being monitored.

Release description:
http://linux-ha.org/source-doc/assimilation/html/_release_descriptions.html
Technology video: http://bit.ly/OD6bY6
TechTarget Interview: http://bit.ly/17M6DK2

Join the mailing list:

Join the mailing list, download the code, try it out, and send your
comments and questions to the list!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

--
Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh> - @OSSAlanR

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship... Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce
Re: [Linux-HA] Announcing release 0.1.0 of the Assimilation Monitoring Project! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 03:01:51PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Alan!

Good to see progress on this Project.

Did you know about "NeDi" www.nedi.ch ?

I put Remo Rickli on Cc; aparently NeDi prefers "forum" over "mailing list".

Nedi has a few years head start, and a different focus maybe.
But as both projects seem to have a lot in common at least for the
discovery part, you still should be able to find some potential
synergies, or at least productively cooperate.

Cheers,
Lars

> This announcement is likely to be of interest to people like you who are
> concerned about availability.
>
> I founded the Linux-HA project in 1998 and led it for nearly 10 years.
> Back in about November 2010, I announced the beginnings of what would
> become the Assimilation Monitoring Project on this mailing list.
>
> The Assimilation Monitoring project [http://assimmon.org
> <http://assimmon.org/>] is a new open source monitoring project with a
> revolutionary architecture. It provides highly scalable [~*/O/*(1)]
> monitoring driven by integrated continuous Stealth Discovery(TM).
>
> This first release is intended as a proof of concept, to demonstrate the
> architecture, get feedback, add early adopters, and grow the community.
>
> The project has basically two thrusts:
>
> * It provides /extremely/ scalable exception monitoring (100K servers
> -- no problem)
> * It discovers all the details of your infrastructure (servers,
> services, dependencies, switches, switch port connections, etc.),
> builds a Neo4j graph database of all the gory details and updates it
> as things change - without setting off network security alarms.
> * The two functions are integrated in a way that will permit much
> easier configuration than traditional systems, and support the
> creation of simple audits to see if everything is being monitored.
>
> Release description:
> http://linux-ha.org/source-doc/assimilation/html/_release_descriptions.html
> Technology video: http://bit.ly/OD6bY6
> TechTarget Interview: http://bit.ly/17M6DK2
>
> Join the mailing list:
>

> Join the mailing list, download the code, try it out, and send your
> comments and questions to the list!
>

> Thanks and have a great weekend!
>

> --
> Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh> - @OSSAlanR
>
> "Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship... Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce

: Lars Ellenberg
Re: [Linux-HA] Announcing release 0.1.0 of the Assimilation Monitoring Project! [ In reply to ]
I ran across it while doing some research. As you said, it's a
different focus - but related.

Thanks for the heads-up!