Mailing List Archive

[Patch] Patch for external/vcenter.
Hi All,

We used external/vcenter in vSphere5 environment.
The external/vcenter tried the use with vCenter server and the ESXi server.

And We found some problems.

Problem 1) external/vcenter does not support addition of VM.
external/vcenter fails in start when there is VM which is not yet made in HOSTLIST.

Problem 2) external/vcenter fails in start processing under the influence of the above-mentioned problem even if I add the STONITH resource that went by way of ESXi server in consideration of the stop of the vCenter server.
$B!!(BThe STONITH resource with VM which does not exist fails in start processing when I set it for ESXi in current external/vcenter.
$B!!(BHowever, VM may move ESXi server by vMotion and DRS.
$B!!(BWhen vCenter server fell, it is necessary to consider STONITH from ESXi server of VM moved to.

In consideration of the trouble of the vCenter server, we put STONITH of the ESXi server.

(server)
vCenter (192.168.133.40)
db1 on ESXi server 1(192.168.133.1)
db2 on ESXi server 2(192.168.133.2)

(snip)
### Group Configuration ###
group grpStonith1 \
prmStonith1-1 \ ---> for vCetner
prmStonith1-2 \ ---> for ESXi server 1
prmStonith1-3 \ ---> for ESXi server 2
(snip)
primitive prmStonith1-2 stonith:external/vcenter \
params \
priority="3" \
stonith-timeout="60s" \
VI_SERVER="192.168.133.1" \
VI_CREDSTORE="/etc/vicredentials.xml" \
HOSTLIST="db1;db2" \ -------> Because it is VM which there is not to ESXi server, external/vcenter fails in start processing.
RESETPOWERON="0" \
op start interval="0s" timeout="60s" \
op monitor interval="3600s" timeout="60s" \
op stop interval="0s" timeout="60s"

primitive prmStonith1-3 stonith:external/vcenter \
params \
priority="4" \
stonith-timeout="60s" \
VI_SERVER="192.168.133.2" \
VI_CREDSTORE="/etc/vicredentials.xml" \
HOSTLIST="db1;db2" \ --------> Because it is VM which there is not to ESXi server, external/vcenter fails in start processing.
RESETPOWERON="0" \
op start interval="0s" timeout="60s" \
op monitor interval="3600s" timeout="60s" \
op stop interval="0s" timeout="60s"

I think that the check of the gethosts processing is unnecessary.
It obstructs start processing.

When real STONITH is performed, I think external/vcenter to be enough just to check VM.(HOSTLIST)

I made a sample patch.
This patch returns HOSTLIST like other STONITH modules simply.

Please take in this patch.

Best Regards,
Hideo Yamauchi.
Re: [Patch] Patch for external/vcenter. [ In reply to ]
Hi Hideo-san,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 04:15:10PM +0900, renayama19661014@ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We used external/vcenter in vSphere5 environment.
> The external/vcenter tried the use with vCenter server and the ESXi server.
>
> And We found some problems.
>
> Problem 1) external/vcenter does not support addition of VM.
> external/vcenter fails in start when there is VM which is not yet made in HOSTLIST.
>
> Problem 2) external/vcenter fails in start processing under the influence of the above-mentioned problem even if I add the STONITH resource that went by way of ESXi server in consideration of the stop of the vCenter server.
>  The STONITH resource with VM which does not exist fails in start processing when I set it for ESXi in current external/vcenter.
>  However, VM may move ESXi server by vMotion and DRS.
>  When vCenter server fell, it is necessary to consider STONITH from ESXi server of VM moved to.

> In consideration of the trouble of the vCenter server, we put STONITH of the ESXi server.
>
> (server)
> vCenter (192.168.133.40)
> db1 on ESXi server 1(192.168.133.1)
> db2 on ESXi server 2(192.168.133.2)
>
> (snip)
> ### Group Configuration ###
> group grpStonith1 \
> prmStonith1-1 \ ---> for vCetner
> prmStonith1-2 \ ---> for ESXi server 1
> prmStonith1-3 \ ---> for ESXi server 2
> (snip)
> primitive prmStonith1-2 stonith:external/vcenter \
> params \
> priority="3" \
> stonith-timeout="60s" \
> VI_SERVER="192.168.133.1" \
> VI_CREDSTORE="/etc/vicredentials.xml" \
> HOSTLIST="db1;db2" \ -------> Because it is VM which there is not to ESXi server, external/vcenter fails in start processing.
> RESETPOWERON="0" \
> op start interval="0s" timeout="60s" \
> op monitor interval="3600s" timeout="60s" \
> op stop interval="0s" timeout="60s"
>
> primitive prmStonith1-3 stonith:external/vcenter \
> params \
> priority="4" \
> stonith-timeout="60s" \
> VI_SERVER="192.168.133.2" \
> VI_CREDSTORE="/etc/vicredentials.xml" \
> HOSTLIST="db1;db2" \ --------> Because it is VM which there is not to ESXi server, external/vcenter fails in start processing.
> RESETPOWERON="0" \
> op start interval="0s" timeout="60s" \
> op monitor interval="3600s" timeout="60s" \
> op stop interval="0s" timeout="60s"
>
> I think that the check of the gethosts processing is unnecessary.
> It obstructs start processing.
>
> When real STONITH is performed, I think external/vcenter to be enough just to check VM.(HOSTLIST)
>
> I made a sample patch.
> This patch returns HOSTLIST like other STONITH modules simply.
>
> Please take in this patch.

Applied. Many thanks for the patch!

Cheers,

Dejan

Re: [Patch] Patch for external/vcenter. [ In reply to ]
Hi Dejan,

Many Thanks!!

Hideo Yamauchi.