Mailing List Archive

Heartbeat IP adresses
Hello,

Thanks for a great program and easy setup, but i noticed some flaws.

I have discovered that the heartbeat software dosn't support more than 8
ip's pr. interface. This is not mentioned in the documentation. I have
changed it myself so that i supports 10 ip's pr. interface.
How do you change it so that i supports an "unlimited" number of ip's pr.
interface? I'm not that great a perl programmer that i can se how this is
done.

There is also an little flaw about how it reads the haresources file because
it starts from the back of the line and then starts doing the needed stuf.
e.g. if a haresources setup looks like below :

--- cut from /etc/ha.c/haresources ---
#
router4-1.oss.dk 172.25.0.3 named
#
--- end cut ---

This means that it starts by starting named and then it add's the ip. Witch
means that named isn't connected to the ip that was started afterward.

Witch is not how it's described in the documentation.

I hope that this can be changed somehow, or at least the documentation can
be changed so that it reflects the way that the software is behaving.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Allan Christiansen | Odense Steel Shipyard Ltd.
IT Project coordinator | P.O. Box 176, DK 5100 Odense C, Denmark
Computer Systems | Phone direct +45 63 97 10 45
E-mail ach@oss.dk | Fax direct +45 63 97 23 60
Heartbeat IP adresses [ In reply to ]
Allan Christiansen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for a great program and easy setup, but i noticed some flaws.
>
> I have discovered that the heartbeat software dosn't support more than 8
> ip's pr. interface. This is not mentioned in the documentation. I have
> changed it myself so that i supports 10 ip's pr. interface.
> How do you change it so that i supports an "unlimited" number of ip's pr.
> interface? I'm not that great a perl programmer that i can se how this is
> done.

The shell scripts that do this could easily be more general, but I
hadn't gotten around to it. Patches are being accepted ;-)

> There is also an little flaw about how it reads the haresources file because
> it starts from the back of the line and then starts doing the needed stuf.
> e.g. if a haresources setup looks like below :
>
> --- cut from /etc/ha.c/haresources ---
> #
> router4-1.oss.dk 172.25.0.3 named
> #
> --- end cut ---
>
> This means that it starts by starting named and then it add's the ip. Witch
> means that named isn't connected to the ip that was started afterward.
>
> Witch is not how it's described in the documentation.
>
> I hope that this can be changed somehow, or at least the documentation can
> be changed so that it reflects the way that the software is behaving.

I thought it said this, but in any case, it was fixed in the latest beta
release on the web, because it was too confusing.

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@suse.com
Heartbeat IP adresses [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Allan Christiansen wrote:

> There is also an little flaw about how it reads the haresources file because
> it starts from the back of the line and then starts doing the needed stuf.
> e.g. if a haresources setup looks like below :
>
> --- cut from /etc/ha.c/haresources ---
> #
> router4-1.oss.dk 172.25.0.3 named
> #
> --- end cut ---
>
> This means that it starts by starting named and then it add's the ip. Witch
> means that named isn't connected to the ip that was started afterward.

Heartbeat first configures the interface and IP, then starts the
services (in reverse order on the older versions) and then does the
ARP takeover. So, the services are started with the right IP.

Luis

[ Luis Claudio R. Goncalves lclaudio@conectiva.com.br ]
[. BSc in Computer Science -- MSc coming soon -- Gospel User -- Linuxer ]
[. Fault Tolerance - Real-Time - Distributed Systems - IECLB - IS 40:31 ]
[. LateNite Programmer -- Jesus Is The Solid Rock On Which I Stand -- ]