Mike Wangsmo Red Hat, Inc

"I've seen this before in Montana! Its snowing, nobody lick a flag
pole" -- Peggy Hill
Sourceforge respository [ In reply to ]
wanger@redhat.com wrote:

> So what is the status of our SourceForge clustering repository for the
> phase II clustering stuff? I've got the docs from the symposium (and a
> few others) I need to get up to a web site and ~wanger on redhat.com
> doesn't seem appropriate. :)
>
> Mike

I think for web access we agreed on linux-ha.org. If you'll send them to me,
I'll put them up tonight. We had some other discussions about CVS, etc.

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com
Sourceforge respository [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:36:57 -0700, Alan Robertson wrote:

>I think for web access we agreed on linux-ha.org. If you'll send them to me,
>I'll put them up tonight. We had some other discussions about CVS, etc.

I thought we agreed that all the phase II stuff was going to be in a
sourceforge repository? These docs really ought to be in the same
place as the code since most of them are directly related. Also I
thought Ted said that we could get a web URL associated with the
sourceforge stuff? I'd really like to see all this stuff end up in one
place rather than parts here and there.

Thoughts?

Mike

Sourceforge respository [ In reply to ]
wanger@redhat.com wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:36:57 -0700, Alan Robertson wrote:
>
> >I think for web access we agreed on linux-ha.org. If you'll send them to me,
> >I'll put them up tonight. We had some other discussions about CVS, etc.
>
> I thought we agreed that all the phase II stuff was going to be in a
> sourceforge repository? These docs really ought to be in the same
> place as the code since most of them are directly related. Also I
> thought Ted said that we could get a web URL associated with the
> sourceforge stuff? I'd really like to see all this stuff end up in one
> place rather than parts here and there.
>
> Thoughts?

We currently have a CVS repository named cvs.linux-ha.org. I was asked to move
it for two reasons: A) bandwidth, and B) backups. The backups issue was easily
resolved, and the bandwidth issue was probably a non-issue, but I agreed to go
along with it anyway. Neither issue applies to the web site.

Several reasons come quickly to mind about why we should leave the web site
alone:

1) No one has suggested any reason why the current arrangement is not
satisfactory. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2) It is expedient to leave it alone. If you had given me the documents, they
would be up on the web site by now.

3) For reasons of simplicity. The URL "linux-ha.org" is very easy to spell, and
easy to tell others to use. For reasons of brand recognition it is much better
to use a simple name which is already well-known in the community.

4) I have spent a great deal of effort getting lots of other sites to link to
the current web site. As far as visibility and promotion of the project, these
links are like money in the bank. These have significantly increased the number
of hits to the web site, and made the project much more visible.

5) The name linux-ha.org is associated with the long-standing community
development project. Changing the name would be viewed as breaking with this
community development project. It is my understanding that this is considered
undesirable.

6) It is convenient for me. Since I manage the web site, have provided all the
content in the past, and expect to manage it, I believe that this is an
important consideration. It is easy to suggest work for others to do, when you
don't have to do it yourself.

7) rmi.net was happy to sponsor this web site, I appreciate their sponsorship,
and am inclined to let them continue to sponsor it. I see no reason to place
all of the burden on VA Linux, and consequently let them get all the credit.
This is in no way a bad reflection on them, but other people should get a chance
to sponsor Linux projects as well.

8) I would like to get my money's worth out of the domain names I purchased :-)

This is not to say that the project documents area on the web site can't be
populated automatically from the CVS repository. I do that now for several
documents, and can do it for more things in the future. It's easy.

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com
Sourceforge respository [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:16:13 -0700, Alan Robertson <alanr@bell-labs.com>
said:

> We currently have a CVS repository named cvs.linux-ha.org. I was
> asked to move it for two reasons: A) bandwidth, and B) backups. The
> backups issue was easily resolved, and the bandwidth issue was
> probably a non-issue, but I agreed to go along with it anyway.
> Neither issue applies to the web site.

OK, should I just go ahead and get the sourceforge CVS set up? Ted, can
we get sourceforge to link www.<project-name>.sourceforge.org to the
current linux-ha.org web site?

And what name do we want for sourceforge anyway? Just
*.linux-ha.sourceforge.org?

--Stephen