Mailing List Archive

Help wanted: Linux-HA Test driver
Hi,

We have a very strong need for a test driver for Linux-HA. I thought I would
ask the list to see if someone else could be persuaded to write it because I
really don't have time to do it myself.

We really need a test driver or exerciser or whatever-you-want-to-call-it for
Linux-HA. As time goes on, this need will become more acute.

What I had in mind was a script which was capable of looking at config files,
and then examining the environment to see where resources were being served, and
comparing it to the state of the cluster and say "yes, that was right", or "no,
that was wrong".

For example, it might do an rsh to each machine and then ask each (through the
resource scripts) a "/etc/ha.d/resource.d/IPaddr 135.9.216.2 status" to
determine if that IP resource was up or not. It would do that for each resource
on each machine in the cluster after each "transition", to make sure each
resource was served somewhere, and that each was served in only one place.

These capabilities would be coupled to a random test case generator which would
take nodes down and up at random, and then track the results to ensure
"correctness".

For the purposes of this testing it would be OK to use rsh or ssh to run
commands remotely, as a method of stopping heartbeat and restarting it, and of
running the status scripts on remote machines. Examination of logs is probably
also desirable.

This script would also have to be able to track the timing in which it did
things, so that attempts to reproduce problems it uncovers would be possible.

This script would help at least three ways:

Improve the quality of the stuff going into CVS

Improve the quality of the stuff that gets released

Decrease the time I have to spend doing it

Simplify the porting job for Matt Soffen, and possibly others

Simplify verifying Linux-HA on new distributions and releases of Linux

Those of you who have suffered through the recent rash of silly bugs, can
*easily* see the need for these things. The Perl fans on the list will probably
note that this is an ideal candidate for perl (parsing config files, running
commands, parsing command outputs, reading log files).

The result should be something that others can hack on, and add test scenarios
to.

I believe this is an VERY important job, and, if done right, can be very cool
too.

Who's going to volunteer?

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com
Help wanted: Linux-HA Test driver [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Alan Robertson wrote:

> The result should be something that others can hack on, and add test scenarios
> to.
>
> I believe this is an VERY important job, and, if done right, can be very cool
> too.

I wonder if PIKT could be adapted for this? I can lend a hand but it will
likely be after the first of the year. I have a major network rollout in
(looking at watch) 5 days and then I get to take it all apart and move it
in 30 days (!joy).

http://pikt.uchicago.edu/pikt/
Help wanted: Linux-HA Test driver [ In reply to ]
George Bonser wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Alan Robertson wrote:
>
> > The result should be something that others can hack on, and add test scenarios
> > to.
> >
> > I believe this is an VERY important job, and, if done right, can be very cool
> > too.
>
> I wonder if PIKT could be adapted for this? I can lend a hand but it will
> likely be after the first of the year. I have a major network rollout in
> (looking at watch) 5 days and then I get to take it all apart and move it
> in 30 days (!joy).
>
> http://pikt.uchicago.edu/pikt/

I'm not familiar with PIKT, so I went and looked at the web pages. It looks
like it might be useful, or it might not be that helpful. The ability to
install on a "normal" system (and not drag a lot of other things along) is
probably desirable. General programming features are still necessary for the
test tool.

In any case, should someone have time to do this during the current millenium
:-),
please speak up!

Thanks!

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com
Help wanted: Linux-HA Test driver [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Alan Robertson wrote:

> I'm not familiar with PIKT, so I went and looked at the web pages.
> It looks like it might be useful, or it might not be that helpful.
> The ability to install on a "normal" system (and not drag a lot of
> other things along) is probably desirable. General programming
> features are still necessary for the test tool.
>
> In any case, should someone have time to do this during the current
> millenium :-), please speak up!

Ummm, yes, I'm volunteering. And in fact I'm nearly finished with the
functionality.

I have been working my way through Mon, PIKT and jMon (in that order) to
cover the "Service Monitoring" parts of the work I'm currently doing.

In my view Mon and PIKT are excellent approaches, but I am not too happy
with Perl (well, I don't want to be forced to install it on the machine
just for system monitoring reasons) and with learning another language.

I do hate to announce anything that is not backed by physical code, but it
will only be a few days. Sorry.

> Thanks!
>
> -- Alan Robertson
> alanr@bell-labs.com

Volker

--
Volker Wiegand Phone: +49 (0) 6196 / 50951-24
SuSE Rhein/Main AG Fax: +49 (0) 6196 / 40 96 07
Help wanted: Linux-HA Test driver [ In reply to ]
Volker Wiegand wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Alan Robertson wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with PIKT, so I went and looked at the web pages.
> > It looks like it might be useful, or it might not be that helpful.
> > The ability to install on a "normal" system (and not drag a lot of
> > other things along) is probably desirable. General programming
> > features are still necessary for the test tool.
> >
> > In any case, should someone have time to do this during the current
> > millenium :-), please speak up!
> >
> Ummm, yes, I'm volunteering. And in fact I'm nearly finished with the
> functionality.

I'm really talking about a framework or harness to test the code (not
monitoring for the product). That isn't something we've talked about before.
Is that what you meant?

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com