Mailing List Archive

FreeBSD port of HA is moving along.
--=====================_116801610==_.ALT

Well.. As of tonight, the port is moving well. I have 2 freeBSD
boxes at least able to tell when one of the boxes "dies". It
recognizes the appearance/disappearance of the other. However it
the current problems I am deailing with are :

1) currently only seems to work on the ethernet
connection, not on the serial line connection. I believe that I
know where the errors are occurring and I think I know of a
generic/portable solution so I will check it out make any
changes, verify this on linux (since my test boxes are multi boot).

2) It doesn't acuire the IP address (this could partly
be a problem with the scripts since they are EXTREMELY linux
centric. I also need to modify them so that the lock directory
is configurable (FreeBSD uses /var/spool/lock instead of /var/lock).

3) Makefile doesn't put things into the proper locations
(It puts the heartbeat initialization script into / ).

4) Makefile insists on creating the proc-ha module (I am
NOT porting that at this point). I think I may need to bite the
bullet for Alan and create an autoconf style interface to
generate the Makefile and scripts (it will suck to do, but it
will help in the future).

These are the big things right now. I'll report back when I have
more progress but so far it is very encouraging.

Matt Soffen
Boss - "My boss says we need some eunuch programmers."
Dilbert - "I think he means UNIX and I already know UNIX."
Boss - "Well, if the company nurse comes by, tell her I said
never mind."
- Dilbert -
--=====================_116801610==_.ALT

2 freeBSD boxes at least able to tell when one of the boxes
&quot;dies&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It recognizes the
appearance/disappearance of the other.&nbsp; However it the current
problems I am deailing with are :<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>1)
currently only seems to work on the ethernet connection, not on the
serial line connection.&nbsp; I believe that I know where the errors are
occurring and I think I know of a generic/portable solution so I will
check it out make any changes, verify this on linux (since my test boxes
are multi boot).<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>2) It
doesn't acuire the IP address (this could partly be a problem with the
scripts since they are EXTREMELY linux centric.&nbsp; I also need to
modify them so that the lock directory is configurable (FreeBSD uses
/var/spool/lock instead of /var/lock).<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>3)
Makefile doesn't put things into the proper locations (It puts the
heartbeat initialization script into / ).<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>4)
Makefile insists on creating the proc-ha module (I am NOT porting that at
this point).&nbsp; I think I may need to bite the bullet for Alan and
create an autoconf style interface to generate the Makefile and scripts
(it will suck to do, but it will help in the future).<br>
These are the big things right now.&nbsp; I'll report back when I have
more progress but so far it is very encouraging.</font><br>
programmers.&quot;</div>
UNIX.&quot;</div>
tell her I said </div>
never mind.&quot;</div>