Mailing List Archive

State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8
Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux PCI subsystem, as of
2.6.23-rc8.

If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.

List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.22:
- none known.

List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
- none known.

If interested, the list of all currently open PCI bugs can be seen at:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=5829&hide_resolved=1

Future patches that are currently in my quilt tree (as found at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/
) for the PCI subsystem are as follows. All of these will be submitted
for inclusion into 2.6.24, except as noted. The diffstat of these
patches is included at the bottom of this message for those that are
interested.

- various pci quirks for different devices
- pci hotplug driver kthread conversion
- pci hotplug bugfixes
- pci express hotplug tweaks and fixes
- minor bugfixes and cleanups
- MSI documentation update

- pci bridge device rework. Note, this was reported to break
Andrew's x86-64 box, but he lost the picture he took of the
oops. Others reported that it worked just fine on their
boxes. I'm still a little hesitant of sending this to 2.6.24
until I can track down what happened here.

There are no PCI api changes scheduled for 2.6.24.

thanks,

greg k-h

----------------------------

Diffstat of the current pci-2.6 quilt queue:

Documentation/DMA-API.txt | 3
Documentation/MSI-HOWTO.txt | 69 ------------
arch/i386/kernel/pci-dma.c | 3
arch/i386/kernel/reboot_fixups.c | 6 +
arch/i386/pci/common.c | 10 +
arch/i386/pci/fixup.c | 47 ++++++++
arch/i386/pci/irq.c | 39 +++++++
arch/x86_64/kernel/pci-dma.c | 1
drivers/pci/bus.c | 17 ++-
drivers/pci/hotplug/cpqphp_core.c | 2
drivers/pci/hotplug/cpqphp_ctrl.c | 74 ++++---------
drivers/pci/hotplug/ibmphp_hpc.c | 57 ++--------
drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp_core.c | 24 +---
drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp_ctrl.c | 20 +--
drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp_hpc.c | 209 ++++++++++----------------------------
drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp_pci.c | 24 ++--
drivers/pci/pci-driver.c | 3
drivers/pci/pci.c | 5
drivers/pci/pci.h | 2
drivers/pci/pcie/Kconfig | 9 -
drivers/pci/probe.c | 82 +++++++-------
drivers/pci/quirks.c | 43 -------
drivers/pci/remove.c | 6 -
include/linux/pci.h | 4
include/linux/pci_ids.h | 3
include/linux/pci_regs.h | 6 -
lib/swiotlb.c | 1
-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 11:40:58PM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux PCI subsystem, as of
> > 2.6.23-rc8.
> >
> > If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
> > outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.
> >
> > List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.22:
> > - none known.
> >
> > List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
> > - none known.
> >

> What about http://marc.info/?l=linux-pci&m=119072400008538&w=2 ?

That's not a regression, right? Tt's probably never worked for that
kind of box :)

I think the pci bus patches that are pending from Jeff Garzik should fix
up these issues. They are in one of his trees, and in the -mm release,
if you are able to test those.

thanks,

greg k-h
-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
Greg KH wrote:
> Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux PCI subsystem, as of
> 2.6.23-rc8.
>
> If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
> outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.
>
> List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.22:
> - none known.
>
> List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
> - none known.

What about http://marc.info/?l=linux-pci&m=119072400008538&w=2 ?

Brice

-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 11:40:58PM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
>
>> Greg KH wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux PCI subsystem, as of
>>> 2.6.23-rc8.
>>>
>>> If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
>>> outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.
>>>
>>> List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.22:
>>> - none known.
>>>
>>> List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
>>> - none known.
>>>

>> What about http://marc.info/?l=linux-pci&m=119072400008538&w=2 ?
>>

> That's not a regression, right? Tt's probably never worked for that
> kind of box :)

Ok, fair enough, I can't be sure it ever worked :)

> I think the pci bus patches that are pending from Jeff Garzik should fix
> up these issues. They are in one of his trees, and in the -mm release,
> if you are able to test those.

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

Jeff, could you point me to some good candidate patches for fixing this?

Brice

-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 11:40:58PM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:
>>> Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux PCI subsystem, as of
>>> 2.6.23-rc8.
>>>
>>> If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
>>> outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.
>>>
>>> List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.22:
>>> - none known.
>>>
>>> List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
>>> - none known.
>>>
>> What about http://marc.info/?l=linux-pci&m=119072400008538&w=2 ?
>
> That's not a regression, right? Tt's probably never worked for that
> kind of box :)
>
> I think the pci bus patches that are pending from Jeff Garzik should fix
> up these issues. They are in one of his trees, and in the -mm release,
> if you are able to test those.

jgarzik/misc-2.6.git#pciseg has my only outstanding PCI stuff, which is
a small x86[-64] PCI domain support patch. Mostly unrelated to the
thread at hand, alas, even though it was touching that area.

I need to a few changes required by Andi, who made several good points,
then the PCI domains thing should be ready for upstream. I don't care
much who merges it, you, Andi or me.

As I recall, some NUMA folks hacked in my damage (storing numa node in
x86's new struct pci_sysdata), noted and fixed additional fallout, and
added their own damage for good measure :)

Jeff

-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 03:22:35AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:

>>> What about http://marc.info/?l=linux-pci&m=119072400008538&w=2 ?
>> That's not a regression, right? Tt's probably never worked for that
>> kind of box :)
>> I think the pci bus patches that are pending from Jeff Garzik should fix
>> up these issues. They are in one of his trees, and in the -mm release,
>> if you are able to test those.
>
> jgarzik/misc-2.6.git#pciseg has my only outstanding PCI stuff, which is a
> small x86[-64] PCI domain support patch. Mostly unrelated to the thread at
> hand, alas, even though it was touching that area.
>
> I need to a few changes required by Andi, who made several good points,
> then the PCI domains thing should be ready for upstream. I don't care much
> who merges it, you, Andi or me.

I'll take it, as I guess it should go through me, Andi is going to have
enough merge issues for 2.6.24 :)

I'll add them to my tree later today.

> As I recall, some NUMA folks hacked in my damage (storing numa node in
> x86's new struct pci_sysdata), noted and fixed additional fallout, and
> added their own damage for good measure :)

Yeah, I don't really trust all of the pci numa things as it keeps
blowing up in odd ways, and we seem to be doing a lot of extra work for
the 2 NUMA-CUBE users in the whole world...

thanks,

greg k-h
-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 03:22:35AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:

>>> That's not a regression, right? Tt's probably never worked for that
>>> kind of box :)
>>> I think the pci bus patches that are pending from Jeff Garzik should fix
>>> up these issues. They are in one of his trees, and in the -mm release,
>>> if you are able to test those.
>> jgarzik/misc-2.6.git#pciseg has my only outstanding PCI stuff, which is a
>> small x86[-64] PCI domain support patch. Mostly unrelated to the thread at
>> hand, alas, even though it was touching that area.
>>
>> I need to a few changes required by Andi, who made several good points,
>> then the PCI domains thing should be ready for upstream. I don't care much
>> who merges it, you, Andi or me.
>
> I'll take it, as I guess it should go through me, Andi is going to have
> enough merge issues for 2.6.24 :)
>
> I'll add them to my tree later today.

Please don't pull 'pciseg' just yet... it needs the fixes Andi pointed
out, namely, it should be turned on by default in x86 / x86-64 platform
Kconfig, and have a boot-time method of disabling it.

Jeff

-
Re: State of the Linux PCI Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:18:50PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:

>>> jgarzik/misc-2.6.git#pciseg has my only outstanding PCI stuff, which is a
>>> small x86[-64] PCI domain support patch. Mostly unrelated to the thread
>>> at hand, alas, even though it was touching that area.
>>>
>>> I need to a few changes required by Andi, who made several good points,
>>> then the PCI domains thing should be ready for upstream. I don't care
>>> much who merges it, you, Andi or me.
>> I'll take it, as I guess it should go through me, Andi is going to have
>> enough merge issues for 2.6.24 :)
>> I'll add them to my tree later today.
>
> Please don't pull 'pciseg' just yet... it needs the fixes Andi pointed
> out, namely, it should be turned on by default in x86 / x86-64 platform
> Kconfig, and have a boot-time method of disabling it.

Ok, let me know when you want me to pull it and I will. Or just send me
the patches by email, that's much easier for me :)

thanks,

greg k-h
-