This happens starting from kernel 2.6.20 till 2.6.20.2
Slackware-current.
PC: Athlon-XP 2000+, 256 MB RAM.
Linux wolf 2.6.20.2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 10 15:41:42 MSK 2007 i686 athlon-4 i386 GNU/Linux
--
Faith manages.
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Vladimir - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:42PM +0300]
| Here's the problem:
| 1. Unpack the kernel sources, run make menuconfig.
| 2. Mark the necessary options.
| 3. Pick "Save an alternate configuration file", enter a filename (e.g. /root/kernelcfg)
| 4. Pick "Exit".
| ->5. Configurator exits without saving. If type "make bzImage", it builtd all the default options.
|
| And there's no ".config" file in kernel root directory, so i have to move there my "kernelcfg" and
| rename it.
|
| If i just run "make menuconfig", then pick "Exit", then it asks "Save kernel configuration?".
|
| This happens starting from kernel 2.6.20 till 2.6.20.2
| Slackware-current.
| PC: Athlon-XP 2000+, 256 MB RAM.
| Linux wolf 2.6.20.2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 10 15:41:42 MSK 2007 i686 athlon-4 i386 GNU/Linux
| --
| Faith manages.

Let us time to review... :)

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Vladimir - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:42PM +0300]
| Here's the problem:
| 1. Unpack the kernel sources, run make menuconfig.
| 2. Mark the necessary options.
| 3. Pick "Save an alternate configuration file", enter a filename (e.g. /root/kernelcfg)
| 4. Pick "Exit".
| ->5. Configurator exits without saving. If type "make bzImage", it builtd all the default options.
|
| And there's no ".config" file in kernel root directory, so i have to move there my "kernelcfg" and
| rename it.
|
| If i just run "make menuconfig", then pick "Exit", then it asks "Save kernel configuration?".
|
| This happens starting from kernel 2.6.20 till 2.6.20.2
| Slackware-current.
| PC: Athlon-XP 2000+, 256 MB RAM.
| Linux wolf 2.6.20.2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 10 15:41:42 MSK 2007 i686 athlon-4 i386 GNU/Linux
| --
| Faith manages.
| -

Hi, Vladimir

here is the patch to resolve your problem. Test it and write me the
results...

Cyrill
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 10 2007 19:06, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
>[Vladimir - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:42PM +0300]
>| Here's the problem:
>| 1. Unpack the kernel sources, run make menuconfig.
>| 2. Mark the necessary options.
>| 3. Pick "Save an alternate configuration file", enter a filename (e.g. /root/kernelcfg)
>| 4. Pick "Exit".
>| ->5. Configurator exits without saving. If type "make bzImage", it builtd all the default options.

Well, you already saved explicitly and did not make any further changes
after that, so it won't ask again on exit (perhaps all Office Suites do
the same). In fact, if you do exactly that, menuconfig assumes you do not
intend to build a kernel (since you did not save to .config).

Jan
--
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Jan Engelhardt - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:26:03PM +0100]

| On Mar 10 2007 19:06, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
| >[Vladimir - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:42PM +0300]
| >| Here's the problem:
| >| 1. Unpack the kernel sources, run make menuconfig.
| >| 2. Mark the necessary options.
| >| 3. Pick "Save an alternate configuration file", enter a filename (e.g. /root/kernelcfg)
| >| 4. Pick "Exit".
| >| ->5. Configurator exits without saving. If type "make bzImage", it builtd all the default options.
|
| Well, you already saved explicitly and did not make any further changes
| after that, so it won't ask again on exit (perhaps all Office Suites do
| the same). In fact, if you do exactly that, menuconfig assumes you do not
| intend to build a kernel (since you did not save to .config).
|

| Jan
| --

Hi, Jan

so you think that is a normal behaviour? I mean sould we leave all as
it is?

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 10 2007 19:35, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
>[Jan Engelhardt - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:26:03PM +0100]
>| On Mar 10 2007 19:06, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
>| >[Vladimir - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:42PM +0300]
>|
>| Well, you already saved explicitly and did not make any further changes
>| after that, so it won't ask again on exit (perhaps all Office Suites do
>| the same). In fact, if you do exactly that, menuconfig assumes you do not
>| intend to build a kernel (since you did not save to .config).
>
>Hi, Jan
>
>so you think that is a normal behaviour? I mean sould we leave all as
>it is?

Yes. If you want to save your current configuration to two files, save it
twice:

Save an alternate configuration file -> /root/kernelcfg
Save an alternate configuration file -> <just enter, use .config>

Jan
--
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 10 2007 19:46, Vladimir wrote:
>> On Mar 10 2007 19:06, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
>> >[Vladimir - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:05:42PM +0300]
>> >options.
>>
>> Well, you already saved explicitly and did not make any further
>> changes after that, so it won't ask again on exit (perhaps all Office
>> Suites do the same). In fact, if you do exactly that, menuconfig
>> assumes you do not intend to build a kernel (since you did not save
>> to .config).
>
>Hm.... Do i have to "Save an alternate configuration file" to ".config"
>manually? The configurator used to do that automatically when i pick
>"Exit". I think that was reasonable. Anyway, the patch Cyrill sent me
>works all right.

If you make some changes and do not call 'save an alternate config
file', it will ask you on exit.

If you make no changes at all, a .config won't get written - true. But
then, the defconfig will be used anyway.

All is fine.

Jan
--
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Jan Engelhardt - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:50:56PM +0100]

| >> Well, you already saved explicitly and did not make any further
| >> changes after that, so it won't ask again on exit (perhaps all Office
| >> Suites do the same). In fact, if you do exactly that, menuconfig
| >> assumes you do not intend to build a kernel (since you did not save
| >> to .config).
| >
| >Hm.... Do i have to "Save an alternate configuration file" to ".config"
| >manually? The configurator used to do that automatically when i pick
| >"Exit". I think that was reasonable. Anyway, the patch Cyrill sent me
| >works all right.
|
| If you make some changes and do not call 'save an alternate config
| file', it will ask you on exit.
|
| If you make no changes at all, a .config won't get written - true. But
| then, the defconfig will be used anyway.
|
| All is fine.
|

| Jan

Jan

lets see to the following scenario:

1) I've taken a pure Linux kernel (no .config at all)
2) I started menuconfig, made a few changes and saved the file
to .config1 as alternate
3) Then I made some additional changes
4) Then I'm getting out of menuconfig and of course "Save
configuration..?" question is raising. Ok, I'm selecting
"Yes" and as result new configuration will be written to the .config
file. All works as it should be...

...but as you mentoined in your message "perhaps all Office Suites do
the same" - no, Office do not the same. The only question I have
(and it could resolve all our problems) - what an alternate config
file is:

- just a snapshot of a config tree at moment of its writting
- _working_ file to which configurator should write parameters

your comments?

P.S.

Excuse for poor eng. grammar

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 10 2007 20:50, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

>lets see to the following scenario:
>
> 1) I've taken a pure Linux kernel (no .config at all)
> 2) I started menuconfig, made a few changes and saved the file
> to .config1 as alternate
> 3) Then I made some additional changes
> 4) Then I'm getting out of menuconfig and of course "Save
> configuration..?" question is raising. Ok, I'm selecting
> "Yes" and as result new configuration will be written to the .config
> file. All works as it should be...
>
>...but as you mentoined in your message "perhaps all Office Suites do
>the same" - no, Office do not the same.

1) I start a new document
2) add some text, "save as" it to config1.txt
3) make more text
4) choose File,Exit - prompts me to save

(perhaps not to .config, but instead config1.txt, but at least, it prompts
me, and gives me the choice to go back into menuconfig and save it under a
different name). So what I just wanted to make clear is that you don't
lose any changes without explicitly saying Don't Save.

>The only question I have (and it could resolve all our problems) - what an
>alternate config file is:
>
> - just a snapshot of a config tree at moment of its writting
> - _working_ file to which configurator should write parameters
>
>your comments?

Whether the 'working config file path' should change when you do
'Save as Alternate' or not, is a menuconfig axiom. Ask Sam Ravnborg
if you want it changed :-)

[. I see where you are going. I am not biased to either because I usually
only use it to save to .config. ]

Jan
--
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Jan Engelhardt - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:23:41PM +0100]

| On Mar 10 2007 20:50, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
| >
| >lets see to the following scenario:
| >
| > 1) I've taken a pure Linux kernel (no .config at all)
| > 2) I started menuconfig, made a few changes and saved the file
| > to .config1 as alternate
| > 3) Then I made some additional changes
| > 4) Then I'm getting out of menuconfig and of course "Save
| > configuration..?" question is raising. Ok, I'm selecting
| > "Yes" and as result new configuration will be written to the .config
| > file. All works as it should be...
| >
| >...but as you mentoined in your message "perhaps all Office Suites do
| >the same" - no, Office do not the same.
|

| 1) I start a new document
| 2) add some text, "save as" it to config1.txt
| 3) make more text
| 4) choose File,Exit - prompts me to save
|
| (perhaps not to .config, but instead config1.txt, but at least, it prompts

and there you hit the problem to the eye - when you're working
with text document you always know in *which* file you're now.
So if you've saved alternate config - _keep his name in mind_ -
that's what menuconfig tell us...

| me, and gives me the choice to go back into menuconfig and save it under a
| different name). So what I just wanted to make clear is that you don't
| lose any changes without explicitly saying Don't Save.
|
| >The only question I have (and it could resolve all our problems) - what an
| >alternate config file is:
| >
| > - just a snapshot of a config tree at moment of its writting
| > - _working_ file to which configurator should write parameters
| >
| >your comments?
|
| Whether the 'working config file path' should change when you do
| 'Save as Alternate' or not, is a menuconfig axiom. Ask Sam Ravnborg
| if you want it changed :-)
|
| [. I see where you are going. I am not biased to either because I usually
| only use it to save to .config. ]
|

| Jan
| --

Actually, I always work with only .config file too... and the reason I
wrote you is Vladimir's mail... so either menuconfig does not work as
expected or users does not expect a such behaviour of menuconfig.

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 10 2007 21:50, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

>Actually, I always work with only .config file too... and the reason I
>wrote you is Vladimir's mail... so either menuconfig does not work as
>expected or users does not expect a such behaviour of menuconfig.

The latter. Though this behavior has been there since... I think since
menuconfig came into existence. It goes way back to 2.4 and 2.2.

Jan
--
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Jan Engelhardt - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:04:38PM +0100]

| On Mar 10 2007 21:50, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
| >
| >Actually, I always work with only .config file too... and the reason I
| >wrote you is Vladimir's mail... so either menuconfig does not work as
| >expected or users does not expect a such behaviour of menuconfig.
|
| The latter. Though this behavior has been there since... I think since
| menuconfig came into existence. It goes way back to 2.4 and 2.2.
|

| Jan
| --

Thanks for mail. The topic is closed :)

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:23:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> Whether the 'working config file path' should change when you do
> 'Save as Alternate' or not, is a menuconfig axiom. Ask Sam Ravnborg
> if you want it changed :-)

Current behaviour is not logical but on the other hand I do not
see a big need to make it so.
It seems that people very seldom uses "save alternate" anyway.

But patches are welcome.

Sam
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 10 2007 22:27, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:23:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>> Whether the 'working config file path' should change when you do
>> 'Save as Alternate' or not, is a menuconfig axiom. Ask Sam Ravnborg
>> if you want it changed :-)
>
>Current behaviour is not logical but on the other hand I do not
>see a big need to make it so.
>It seems that people very seldom uses "save alternate" anyway.
>
>But patches are welcome.

^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?

Jan
--
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:34:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Mar 10 2007 22:27, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:23:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >>
> >> Whether the 'working config file path' should change when you do
> >> 'Save as Alternate' or not, is a menuconfig axiom. Ask Sam Ravnborg
> >> if you want it changed :-)
> >
> >Current behaviour is not logical but on the other hand I do not
> >see a big need to make it so.
> >It seems that people very seldom uses "save alternate" anyway.
> >
> >But patches are welcome.
>
> ^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?
No.
Either we keep current behaviour or we change to the "normal"
behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.

Sam
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/10/163 ? Not that I have tried it personally.

Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:34:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>> >Current behaviour is not logical but on the other hand I do not
>> >see a big need to make it so.
>> >It seems that people very seldom uses "save alternate" anyway.
>> >
>> >But patches are welcome.
>>
>> ^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?
> No.
> Either we keep current behaviour

, which is misleading,

> or we change to the "normal"
> behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.

, which is not desirable, as long as there is no "open" and "save" option
also working as "normal".

IMO the option should have the "Save a copy" semantics, since that's what the
name suggests.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
51. YEEEHA!!! What a CRASH!!!

Friß, Spammer: WCD1@7eggert.dyndns.org c0DSB5Uh7w@7eggert.dyndns.org
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Sam Ravnborg - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:45:34PM +0100]
| On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:34:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

| > >Current behaviour is not logical but on the other hand I do not
| > >see a big need to make it so.
| > >It seems that people very seldom uses "save alternate" anyway.
| > >
| > >But patches are welcome.
| >
| > ^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?
| No.
| Either we keep current behaviour or we change to the "normal"
| behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.
|
| Sam

Hi Sam,

I think we should use "Save As..." idea. And thereby menuconfig,
qconfig, gconfig will be affected. Please give me time to make patches.
(I'm a little busy now so I hope to make them during a week :)

The patch I sent to Vladimir does not normalize behaviour of config
process but just makes an alternate file as a snapshot of current config
state. You may review it as a temporary solution only.

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Bodo Eggert - Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 06:21:59AM +0100]
| Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:

| >> ^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?
| > No.
| > Either we keep current behaviour
|
| , which is misleading,
|
| > or we change to the "normal"
| > behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.
|
| , which is not desirable, as long as there is no "open" and "save" option
| also working as "normal".
|
| IMO the option should have the "Save a copy" semantics, since that's what the
| name suggests.

Please decribe me how should it work at all. I mean should we work with
a single _active_ file and then "Save a copy" just put a config snapshot
to some file but that will not affect an original file? Should we work
with any config file as text editors do? Just write your point of view
in details and give kernel community time to review...

| --
| Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
| 51. YEEEHA!!! What a CRASH!!!
|
| Fri?, Spammer: WCD1@7eggert.dyndns.org c0DSB5Uh7w@7eggert.dyndns.org

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Sam Ravnborg - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:45:34PM +0100]
| On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:34:41PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

| > >Current behaviour is not logical but on the other hand I do not
| > >see a big need to make it so.
| > >It seems that people very seldom uses "save alternate" anyway.
| > >
| > >But patches are welcome.
| >
| > ^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?
| No.
| Either we keep current behaviour or we change to the "normal"
| behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.
|
| Sam

Hi Sam,

here is a patch for menuconfig that shows current configuration
file. So I think menuconfig does its work well but the only
thing we need is to show location of an _active_ configuration.

Any comments are welcome (and you may swear at me too :)

Cyrill
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:07:23PM +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> [Sam Ravnborg - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:45:34PM +0100]

> | > ^_^ The patch has already been posted, has not it?
> | No.
> | Either we keep current behaviour or we change to the "normal"
> | behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.
> |
> | Sam
> |

> Hi Sam,
>
> here is a patch for menuconfig that shows current configuration
> file. So I think menuconfig does its work well but the only
> thing we need is to show location of an _active_ configuration.
>
> Any comments are welcome (and you may swear at me too :)
I would rather avoid adding the extra lines. In the
'office-suite' fashion I have cooked up a patch that specify
the filename as part of the windows title.

To make the conversion we should consider renaming from
current "Load alternate" to "Open config file..."
and likewise "Save alternate" to "Save config file as..."

Comments?

Sam

diff --git a/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h b/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h
index fd695e1..7e17eba 100644
--- a/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h
+++ b/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h
@@ -188,6 +188,7 @@ int on_key_esc(WINDOW *win);
int on_key_resize(void);

void init_dialog(const char *backtitle);
+void set_dialog_backtitle(const char *backtitle);
void reset_dialog(void);
void end_dialog(void);
void attr_clear(WINDOW * win, int height, int width, chtype attr);
diff --git a/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/util.c b/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/util.c
index d54440f..549373b 100644
--- a/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/util.c
+++ b/scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/util.c
@@ -272,6 +272,11 @@ void init_dialog(const char *backtitle)
color_setup(getenv("MENUCONFIG_COLOR"));
}

+void set_dialog_backtitle(const char *backtitle)
+{
+ dlg.backtitle = backtitle;
+}
+
void reset_dialog(void)
{
initscr(); /* Init curses */
diff --git a/scripts/kconfig/mconf.c b/scripts/kconfig/mconf.c
index 3f9a132..327fc9a 100644
--- a/scripts/kconfig/mconf.c
+++ b/scripts/kconfig/mconf.c
@@ -26,7 +26,6 @@
#include "lkc.h"
#include "lxdialog/dialog.h"

-static char menu_backtitle[128];
static const char mconf_readme[] = N_(
"Overview\n"
"--------\n"
@@ -271,7 +270,6 @@ search_help[] = N_(
" USB$ => find all CONFIG_ symbols ending with USB\n"
"\n");

-static char filename[PATH_MAX+1] = ".config";
static int indent;
static struct termios ios_org;
static int rows = 0, cols = 0;
@@ -395,6 +393,28 @@ static struct gstr get_relations_str(struct symbol **sym_arr)
return res;
}

+static char filename[PATH_MAX+1];
+static void set_config_filename(const char *config_filename)
+{
+ static char menu_backtitle[128];
+ int size;
+ struct symbol *sym;
+
+ sym = sym_lookup("KERNELVERSION", 0);
+ sym_calc_value(sym);
+ size = snprintf(menu_backtitle, sizeof(menu_backtitle),
+ _("%s - Linux Kernel v%s Configuration"),
+ config_filename, sym_get_string_value(sym));
+ if (size >= sizeof(menu_backtitle))
+ menu_backtitle[sizeof(menu_backtitle)-1] = '\0';
+ set_dialog_backtitle(menu_backtitle);
+
+ size = snprintf(filename, sizeof(filename), "%s", config_filename);
+ if (size >= sizeof(filename))
+ filename[sizeof(filename)-1] = '\0';
+}
+
+
static void search_conf(void)
{
struct symbol **sym_arr;
@@ -816,8 +836,10 @@ static void conf_load(void)
case 0:
if (!dialog_input_result[0])
return;
- if (!conf_read(dialog_input_result))
+ if (!conf_read(dialog_input_result)) {
+ set_config_filename(dialog_input_result);
return;
+ }
show_textbox(NULL, _("File does not exist!"), 5, 38);
break;
case 1:
@@ -840,8 +862,10 @@ static void conf_save(void)
case 0:
if (!dialog_input_result[0])
return;
- if (!conf_write(dialog_input_result))
+ if (!conf_write(dialog_input_result)) {
+ set_config_filename(dialog_input_result);
return;
+ }
show_textbox(NULL, _("Can't create file! Probably a nonexistent directory."), 5, 60);
break;
case 1:
@@ -860,7 +884,6 @@ static void conf_cleanup(void)

int main(int ac, char **av)
{
- struct symbol *sym;
char *mode;
int res;

@@ -871,11 +894,6 @@ int main(int ac, char **av)
conf_parse(av[1]);
conf_read(NULL);

- sym = sym_lookup("KERNELVERSION", 0);
- sym_calc_value(sym);
- sprintf(menu_backtitle, _("Linux Kernel v%s Configuration"),
- sym_get_string_value(sym));
-
mode = getenv("MENUCONFIG_MODE");
if (mode) {
if (!strcasecmp(mode, "single_menu"))
@@ -886,7 +904,8 @@ int main(int ac, char **av)
atexit(conf_cleanup);
init_wsize();
reset_dialog();
- init_dialog(menu_backtitle);
+ init_dialog(NULL);
+ set_config_filename(".config");
do {
conf(&rootmenu);
dialog_clear();
@@ -903,7 +922,7 @@ int main(int ac, char **av)

switch (res) {
case 0:
- if (conf_write(NULL)) {
+ if (conf_write(filename)) {
fprintf(stderr, _("\n\n"
"Error during writing of the kernel configuration.\n"
"Your kernel configuration changes were NOT saved."
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
On 3/11/07, Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
[..snip..]
| > To make the conversion we should consider renaming from
| > current "Load alternate" to "Open config file..."
| > and likewise "Save alternate" to "Save config file as..."
| >
| > Comments?
| >
| > Sam
[..snip...]

I think that is excellent. (Actually I can't test it now but the idea
is just perfect)
-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Sam Ravnborg - Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:50:33PM +0100]

[... snipped ...]

| I would rather avoid adding the extra lines. In the
| 'office-suite' fashion I have cooked up a patch that specify
| the filename as part of the windows title.
|
| To make the conversion we should consider renaming from
| current "Load alternate" to "Open config file..."
| and likewise "Save alternate" to "Save config file as..."
|
| Comments?
|
| Sam

[... snipped ...]

Hi Sam,

I've tested it and I think all do its work as it should...
But only two points may be additionally changed:

1) I think it is better to show main dialog title in form:
"Linux Kernel v.2.6.21-rc3 Configuration - config file: .config"
2) You've set menu_backtitle with 128 characters may be we
should set as PATH_MAX+1+128 - to hold a whole config file?

And renaming "Load alternate" to "Open config file..." and
"Save alternate" to "Save config file as..." is fine I guess.

Hey kernel list - what's your comments? :)

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
[Sam Ravnborg - Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:50:33PM +0100]
| On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:07:23PM +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
| > [Sam Ravnborg - Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:45:34PM +0100]

| > | No.
| > | Either we keep current behaviour or we change to the "normal"
| > | behaviour with a "Save as..." as know from all other programs.
| > |
| > | Sam
| > |

| > Hi Sam,
| >
| > here is a patch for menuconfig that shows current configuration
| > file. So I think menuconfig does its work well but the only
| > thing we need is to show location of an _active_ configuration.
| >
| > Any comments are welcome (and you may swear at me too :)
| I would rather avoid adding the extra lines. In the
| 'office-suite' fashion I have cooked up a patch that specify
| the filename as part of the windows title.
|
| To make the conversion we should consider renaming from
| current "Load alternate" to "Open config file..."
| and likewise "Save alternate" to "Save config file as..."
|
| Comments?
|
| Sam

[... snip ...]

Hi Sam,

maybe my prev letter was lost, so let me repeat - I think your patch
is pretty good to be merged into kernel. Did you send any patch to
Andrew? Btw I think we may leave "Load Alternate..." and "Save
Alternate..." as is - the user always may know what the config he is
using on the main dialog title :)

Cyrill

-
Re: PROBLEM: "Make nenuconfig" does not save parameters. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Sunday 11 March 2007 20:50, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> + sym = sym_lookup("KERNELVERSION", 0);
> + sym_calc_value(sym);
> + size = snprintf(menu_backtitle, sizeof(menu_backtitle),
> + _("%s - Linux Kernel v%s Configuration"),
> + config_filename, sym_get_string_value(sym));

An alternative might to only show the filename, only if explicitly set.

> + set_config_filename(".config");

Please don't hardcode the filename, use conf_get_configname() instead.

bye, Roman
-