| E-mail address: trindade@student.dei.uc.pt |S/2 OS/2 OS/2 OS/2 OS/2 OS/2 O|
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/
-
Re: VFAT bug? [ In reply to ]
In <Pine.LNX.4.05.9901221708050.9634-100000@feynman.dei.uc.pt> Antonio M. Trindade (trindade@student.dei.uc.pt) wrote:
> I think the VFAT fs is slightly broken.
> Why do I think it's broken? Simple: I dual-boot Win98 and Linux, and
> whenever I access a directory in my Windows partition from Linux, and then
> run NDD on it, it complains about invalid dates. It's not a serious bug,
> only annoying.
> Can anyone give me feedback on this? Thanks in advance.
Huh. Almost zero usefull info: which version of kernel ? Is it FAT12, FAT16
or FAT32 ? Are you sure that you have the same timezone in both Windows98
and Linux ?
-
Re: VFAT bug? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Antonio M. Trindade wrote:

> I think the VFAT fs is slightly broken.
>
> Why do I think it's broken? Simple: I dual-boot Win98 and Linux, and
> whenever I access a directory in my Windows partition from Linux, and then
> run NDD on it, it complains about invalid dates. It's not a serious bug,
> only annoying.

Do you know what it finds invalid about the dates? I note that MS-DOS
only has even seconds in the time field because the field can only
store 32 values. It might be some problem like that.
Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.
-
Re: -fno-strength-reduce [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Arvind Sankar wrote:
> btw, another question along these lines: how much should the alignment
> specs be? The defaults are bigger than what are currently specified
> (currently they are 32 bit alignment for loops, jumps and functions).
> The default is 64-bit on i486 and up, and if gas >= 2.8 is used (likely)
> then it is either 64-bit or 128-bit if you are less than 64 bits from
> a 128-bit boundary. Wouldn't 64-bit alignment be faster for Ppros?
i'm curious about this as well.
i've set alignment on PPro and K6 machines i use to 64 bytes, since the
cache lines on the K6 are 32 bytes each, and are burst loaded from RAM
two-at-a-time. i assume the PPro caches work the same way, but haven't
checked the spec sheet.
perhaps a more reasonable alignment might be 64 bytes for functions, and 8
or 16 bytes for loops and jumps.
the results have been inconclusive, but certainly not dangerous to
performance or stability.
- Chuck Lever
--
corporate: <chuckl@netscape.com>
personal: <chucklever@netscape.net> or <cel@monkey.org>
Re: VFAT bug? [ In reply to ]
David D.W. Downey A.K.A PGPKeys
Designer/member Freespace Developers List
Web Site - http://www.descent-freespace.com
Listserv - fdl@warpcore.org
-
Re: VFAT bug? [ In reply to ]
From: "David D.W. Downey" <pgpkeys@localnet.com>
... All that is happening is that the partition index table is being
converted from the newer FAT32B to the older FAT32 tables which
Linux has no problems reading. I also found out that as long as the
drive is not over the FAT16 limit you can use linux's FDISK to change
the drive type to Win95 FAT32. Linux FDISK wil report it as FAT32+ (if
I remember right) but when you change the partition type to "Win 95
FAT32" it works no problems as well. AS LONG AS the drive is UNDER the
FAT16 max size even though it's FAT32. (Don't know why unless the
linux fdisk is using FAT16 as an intermediate holding ground while
converting the tables.)
I can assure you that there is no version of Linux fdisk
that does anything like what you describe.
(Maybe you write `fdisk' and mean `Partition Magic' or so?)
You can change the type of a partition into anything you like,
say to 42. However, that does not mean that the contents of
the partition are changed - it is just precisely this one
single byte that gets a different value.
-
Re: VFAT bug? [ In reply to ]
>I can assure you that there is no version of Linux fdisk
>that does anything like what you describe.
>(Maybe you write `fdisk' and mean `Partition Magic' or so?)

You are correct. I did make the mistake. Thank you for catching the mistake.
It IS partition magic that makes the changes to the partition type.
Although, Linux fdisk CAN be used to change the drive type as well. I've
done it perosnally so i know it works. (Unfortuately later on, the drive
crashed from a bad arm controller).
Once again, thanks for the keen eye. :-))