adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."
-
Re: 2.2.0pre8: mkdir "." returns ENOENT instead of EEXIST [ In reply to ]
"Adam J. Richter" wrote:

> Linux linux-2.2.0pre8 "mkdir ." return ENOENT instead of
> EEXIST. This breaks the latest version of CVS when used on a local
> repository. Linux-2.2.0pre7 did not appear to have this problem,
> and I have definitely confirmed that pre2 did not have this problem.
[...]
Not in my pre8
Re: 2.2.0pre8: mkdir "." returns ENOENT instead of EEXIST [ In reply to ]
Janos Farkas <chexum@shadow.banki.hu> wrote:
>When this happens, by chance, isn't "." a mount point? I can reproduce
>this, but only when trying to create a file/directory which is a mount
>point, and reported also to linux-kernel; it's probably the new
>check_parent() macro failing to take into account the specialities of
>mount points...
Yes, you're right. The problem only occurs on a mount point. This
problem (at least the manifestation in CVS) did not occur in 2.2.0-pre7,
and I have confirmed that even on a mount point it definitely does
not occur in 2.2.0-pre3. Thanks for narrowing it down.
Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
Re: VM20 behavior on a 486DX/66Mhz with 16mb of RAM [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:22:10 +0100 (CET), Andrea Arcangeli
> <andrea@e-mind.com> said:
>
> > Setting an high limit for the cache when we are low memory is easy doable.
> > Comments from other mm guys?
>
> Horrible --- smells like the old problem of "oh, our VM is hopeless at
> tuning performance itself, so let's rely on magic numbers to constrain
> it to reasonable performance". I'd much much much much rather see a VM
> which manages to work well without having to be constrained by tricks
> like that (although by all means supply extra boundary limits for use in
> special cases: just don't enable them on a default system).

We have at least one other case where a memory algorithm needed to be
tuned for smaller memory. It was the "target free space per cent" which
had to be larger for small memory machines. There could be a similiar
effect in cache handling. No problem on larger machines, but a big problem
on small memory machines.
John Alvord
Music, Management, Poetry and more...
http://www.candlelist.org/kuilema