make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.0-pre7/scripts'
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
I used make menuconfig which seems to work OK.
Tony
btw. I have to make menuconfig in an xterm because RH5.2 has stuffed the
console font. Can someone
tell me how to set it back to default?
-
Re: pre7 compile problems [ In reply to ]
Hi Tony,
> ./tkparse < ../arch/i386/config.in >> kconfig.tk
> make[1]: *** [kconfig.tk] Error 139
Hmmm, another intermittent SIGSEGV. That is the second report.
Is there anyone out there who can reproduce this on demand and
is willing and able to help me get a stack trace?
I do have one idea about this. Could you please try this program
on your machine:
#include <stdio.h>
int main( int argc, const char * argv [] )
{
printf( "%s\n", (char *) 0 );
return 0;
}
Be sure to compile it with "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer".
tkparse likes to printf through a null pointer occasionally. If you
see "(null)" on your output, you have a printf that doesn't fall over.
If you get a segmentation fault, that would explain why your tkparse
is seg-faulting.
But it could be something else entirely.
Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"
-
RE: pre7 compile problems [ In reply to ]
> I do have one idea about this. Could you please try this program
> on your machine:
>
> [snip]
>
> tkparse likes to printf through a null pointer occasionally. If you
> see "(null)" on your output, you have a printf that doesn't fall over.
> If you get a segmentation fault, that would explain why your tkparse
> is seg-faulting.
>
> But it could be something else entirely.

I got:
[tmh@wilma tmh]$ cc -o test -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer test.c
[tmh@wilma tmh]$ ./test
(null)
So unless it's an intermittent bug in c library the printf looks like its
working.
Versions:
gcc-2.7.2.3-14
glibc-2.0.107-0.981217
Tony
-
Re: pre7 compile problems [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
hello mike,
> Hi Tony,
>
> Hmmm, another intermittent SIGSEGV. That is the second report.
>
> Is there anyone out there who can reproduce this on demand and
> is willing and able to help me get a stack trace?
>
> I do have one idea about this. Could you please try this program
> on your machine:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main( int argc, const char * argv [] )
> {
> printf( "%s\n", (char *) 0 );
> return 0;
> }
>
> Be sure to compile it with "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer".
>
> tkparse likes to printf through a null pointer occasionally. If you
> see "(null)" on your output, you have a printf that doesn't fall over.
> If you get a segmentation fault, that would explain why your tkparse
> is seg-faulting.
>
> But it could be something else entirely.
>
> Michael Elizabeth Chastain
> <mailto:mec@shout.net>
> "love without fear"
i tried that and the result was:
[root@m1 ~/test]# ./test
(null)
compiled using:
gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o test test.c
peter hanecak
-