I mean, just in common, if you recommend us to switch to Kinosearch+lucy ?

--
Alexey Melezhik
Kinosearch benefit [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 05:12:41PM +0400, Alexey Melezhik wrote:
> Hi! We use lucene + java for our web site search engine;
> We have cgi+perl web application and call lucene search functions via
> LWP, connecting to localhost (jsp) and getting back XML file with
> search results;

Out of curiosity have you looked at using Inline::Java? That should be
considerably faster than your current approach, even if you don't switch
to KinoSeach...

Tony
Kinosearch benefit [ In reply to ]
no we have not;
i just want to know if lucy+kinosearch is the same configurable as java+lucene
--
Alexey Melezhik
Kinosearch benefit [ In reply to ]
On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Alexey Melezhik wrote:

> Hi! We use lucene + java for our web site search engine;
>
> We have cgi+perl web application and call lucene search functions via
> LWP, connecting to localhost (jsp) and getting back XML file with
> search results;
>
> So, If we switch to Kinosearch+lucy , what we would gain? I assume
> that we should gain at speed at least, cause in that case we would
> have fast perl+XS calling (against getting XML by lwp )
>
> I mean, just in common, if you recommend us to switch to Kinosearch
> +lucy ?

My first take is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lucene is an
excellent option if Java is a part of your rig. KinoSearch is an
excellent option if Perl is part of your rig. Indexing speeds are
roughly comparable. Lucene is probably somewhat faster for complex
queries against large indexes (because KS hasn't implemented the
"skipTo" optimization). The XML parsing, http, and process overhead
probably aren't that significant unless your index is pretty small.
I'm not sure that there's much to gain by choosing one over the other
unless you need features that are in Lucene and not in KS or vice versa.

Not convinced? Try KinoSearch then. :)

Marvin Humphrey

--
I'm looking for a part time job.
Kinosearch benefit [ In reply to ]
On Aug 22, 2006, at 7:25 AM, Tony Bowden wrote:

> Out of curiosity have you looked at using Inline::Java? That should be
> considerably faster than your current approach, even if you don't
> switch
> to KinoSeach...

Is that true, Tony? I would think that a server servin' up jsp pages
would allow you to keep a persistent JVM and Searcher object, which
is crucial. Can you do that with Inline::Java? School me if you
know. I haven't tried either option, so I'm in the dark.

Marvin Humphrey

--
I'm looking for a part time job.
Kinosearch benefit [ In reply to ]
Hi Marvin and thanx for answering back;

I'll try to explain you the situation;

We use perl for our web site. We use lucene search as well, currently
we use lucene+java approach, but we talk to java not directly (cause
we in perl, and we don't use such a things like java::inline ), but
via tcp/ip (lwp), getting XML and also we use solr as well, --- I
can;t say more, couse it's not me who program this directly;

My idea is to use lucena directly via XS+perl+lucy, as you do in
kinosearch, (don't you)
The only problem I am not sure if I'd have all posibilities as with java+lucena;

So idea is quite simple - if I program perl, souldn't I keep program
perl with lucena port?

Kinosearch benefit [ In reply to ]
Hi Tony, Hi Marvin,

> Is that true, Tony? I would think that a server servin' up jsp pages
> would allow you to keep a persistent JVM and Searcher object, which is
> crucial. Can you do that with Inline::Java? School me if you know. I
> haven't tried either option, so I'm in the dark.
I'm also highly interested if this would work. Maybe also Java::Import
would be a way to go which requires the needed java packages to be
compiled with jgc (which is gcc-4.0.0 with java support).

If you have any experience with this it would be great to hear about it.

Greetings,

Marc