Saurabh
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
using KinoSearch in a commercial app [ In reply to ]
> I would like to use KinoSearch in a commercial app (i.e. a packaged
> application that I sell to the end users). Are there any restrictions in
> doing so.?

This page
(http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch/docs/stable/KinoSearch.html) has
licensing information (ie, it uses the same license as that used by Perl -
which uses either: Artistic License, or GNU GPL).

Cheers
Henry
using KinoSearch in a commercial app [ In reply to ]
Thanks Henry,

What does that mean in plain English? You mention Artistic License, "or" GNU GPL.

This "OR" is more confusing, because from what I read, Artistic License allows use in commercial application, but GNU does not (or it requires that you republish your code).

Thanks
Saurabh

using KinoSearch in a commercial app [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:00:43AM -0700, Saurabh Dani wrote:
> What does that mean in plain English?

I would suggest you consult a qualified lawyer.

Licensing for software is a tricky business, and if you want to get it
right, then you need proper advice.

> You mention Artistic License, "or" GNU GPL.

Yes. KinoSearch, like many perl modules, are dual licensed.

> This "OR" is more confusing, because from what I read, Artistic License
> allows use in commercial application, but GNU does not (or it requires
> that you republish your code).

I don't mean to sound rude, but this makes it clear that you do not
really understand the issues and should seek proper advice if you are
unsure of the issues involved in commercial distribution.

Tony