Mailing List Archive

Extending SegWriter (was Re: Wildcards)
On Jan 29, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Nathan Kurz wrote:

>> R-trees are a more efficient data structure for geospatial
>> searching. However, there's no RTreeWriter writing R-tree data to
>> each segment in KS by default. I'd like to write one and make it
>> easy to integrate via InvIndexer/SegWriter.
>
> This is a beautiful concrete example. If KinoSearch was flexible
> enough to
> accommodate this smoothly, it seems likely it would be able to
> accommodate a very wide range of other uses as well.

At the indexing stage, I'm thinking something along these lines:

my $r_tree_writer = KSx::RTree::RTreeWriter->new;
my $seg_writer = KinoSearch::Index::SegWriter->new;
$seg_writer->add_writer($r_tree_writer);

my $invindexer = KinoSearch::InvIndexer->new(
invindex => MySchema->open('/path/to/invindex'),
seg_writer => $seg_writer,
);

RTreeWriter would need to implement add_doc(), add_segment(), and
finish(), plus possibly init().

Not that much to it! A lot of the work has already been done. We'll
have to make a bunch of classes public, e.g. SegInfo, InStream/
OutStream, but those are all reasonably mature by now.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/