KinoSearch is with regards to search index portabliity - it appears
that it would be a good thing but is not a design requirement. Can
anyone clarify?

Cheers,
Edmund.

--
In reality I'm evdb@ecclestoad.co.uk - http://ecclestoad.co.uk
Use Perl? Take the survey: http://perlsurvey.org/survey/

Re: Portability of search index across platforms [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:12:53AM +0100, Edmund von der Burg wrote:
> Having read up a bit I'm not sure what the future direction of
> KinoSearch is with regards to search index portabliity - it appears
> that it would be a good thing but is not a design requirement. Can
> anyone clarify?

Invindexes will continue to be portable across platforms.

It may become possible in the future to extend KS in ways which break
portability, but that won't happen by default. I believe you may have
encountered a discussion about non-portable Posting types. If those ever get
created, they would have to be actively selected by you, and the docs would
carry a suitable warning.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/