Mailing List Archive

Capture card advice
I find myself wanting to purchase another capture card, to build a slave
backend for MythTV. Over the years I've gotten the best advice on such
matters here.

This is for a machine which is currently a frontend, which would become
a frontend/slave-backend. It's near our cable box, and the whole
purpose is to capture cable-only channels. (Notably BBC-America for Dr.
Who. Terry Jones has begun working on a "Good Omens" TV series, and it
will likely be on the Beeb. Must See TV...) So what I most want is
capture from s-video, but I'm not sure about buying s-video only
hardware and not being able to do other things with it.

I currently have 2 hvr-1600s, and might be inclined to buy another.
Then again, Andy Walls once suggested that one would get better tuner
results with an external USB capture device. This is also a situation
where using the IR blaster is absolutely essential in order to drive the
cable box, and last I knew that side of the hvr-1600 was still
out-of-tree with obscure instructions. Adding the problems of
lirc_zilog to the poorly documented SA4250C seems like a recipe for
frustration and failure.

I'm also considering alternatives... At this point I see TPTB getting
too much traction closing the analog hole to spring for the HD-PVR. But
there's also the hvr-950Q, but it doesn't have the hardware mpeg2, and
I've looked briefly at the hvr-2250, but that's back to internal, though
it seems of newer vintage and might be better?

For USB-only the Startech SVID2USB22 looks interesting, but I'm not sure
if that's hardware mpeg2 or just software, nor the Linux driver status.

Thanks for any advice...

Dale Pontius