Is there any option or work around to get the capture component of the
PVR-350 working for OSX on a Hackintosh machine? I currently use Mandriva
for Mythv backend, but am considering a change of OS and wanted to
consider a Hackintosh.

Note I have no need or intent to get the output from the PVR-350 working
as this is a backend only box.

Thank you,
Scott

Re: ivtv PVR-350 Hackintosh [ In reply to ]
scott@tbwifi.ca wrote:

>Is there any option or work around to get the capture component of the
>PVR-350 working for OSX on a Hackintosh machine? I currently use
>Mandriva
>for Mythv backend, but am considering a change of OS and wanted to
>consider a Hackintosh.
>
>Note I have no need or intent to get the output from the PVR-350
>working
>as this is a backend only box.
>
>Thank you,
>Scott

If one of the *BSDs has a driver for the PVR-350 then that would be closer to an OSX driver than the Linux ivtv driver.
I find it hard to believe OSX doesn't support modern hardware like the hvr1800 or hvr1600 or hdpvr of the box.

Why buy a new computer and not drop a few $ on a new capture card? Oh wait you're not. You want to tread on legally dubious ground using Apple's OS in a manner Apple doesn't support. In addition you want a driver for free on top of that.

I have no interest in working on BSD or OSX drivers for free so some for-profit company can grab the code, modify it, and not contribute changes back, while they profit off of my efforts.

Conversely I have no desire to support potentially dubious activity so someone can benefit from Apple's efforts while denying Apple a return on their investment in software and hardware development.

-Andy

Re: ivtv PVR-350 Hackintosh [ In reply to ]
I use a kworld usb2800 ($40+) to capture on Windows with Pinnacle Studio.
It has composite and S-Video inputs and USB output.
It works with OS/X and iMovie.
May not be of interest but thought I would mention it.
Peter

Re: ivtv PVR-350 Hackintosh [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

I was only pondering the idea because I now have 3 Apple computers and contribute heavily to their cause with about 6 more iDevices.

Based on the lack of support for Apple and PVR cards (which I fully understand) I'll probably upgrade my Mandriva package or consider a shift to Mythbuntu.

Don't worry, I'm a happy Linux guy of at least 15 years too.

Sorry to spread a sour thought.

Take care,
Scott

Re: ivtv PVR-350 Hackintosh [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 21:56 -0700, Scott Souter wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I was only pondering the idea because I now have 3 Apple computers and
> contribute heavily to their cause with about 6 more iDevices.

Hi Scott,

Notwithstanding, you still have to play by Apple's rules with their
product. Pystar had their backside handed to them by the courts:

http://groklaw.net/article.php?story=20091215225827172

and Pystar's been trying to stay afloat by hiding in Bankruptcy court or
appealing ever since.

> Based on the lack of support for Apple and PVR cards (which I fully
> understand)

So you understand that that is likely a Hauppauge business decision more
than one made by Apple. When Hauppauge doesn't manufacture certain
cards anymore due to parts obsolescence, FCC rules, etc., they likely
don't invest the $ to write new drivers for the old cards for every new
OS version, unless there is a projected return on the investment.

However, more than any other company, Hauppauge contributes to the
quality of Linux drivers for all its products. The ivtv, cx18, pvrusb2,
cx88, cx23885, hdpvr, saa71xx, tuner-simple, etc. Linux drivers would
not be where they are today without Hauppauge's benevolence. Obviously
Hauppauge has decided there is some value for itself in Linux.

> I'll probably upgrade my Mandriva package or consider a shift to
> Mythbuntu.
>
> Don't worry, I'm a happy Linux guy of at least 15 years too.
>
> Sorry to spread a sour thought.

Sorry for being a bit snappy myself.

For many reasons, I simply prefer to keep things on the mailing lists
lists and in open source development at a level of "beyond reproach"
legally.

You'll find the MythTV developers on IRC and on the MythTV lists have
the same sort of standard.

> Take care,
> Scott

Regards,