also a recording option.

There are no really smart GUIs out there and therefore I decided to
program one myself.

Feedback would be appreciated. If you have ideas for new features don't
hesitate asking for it.

Many thanks!

Best regards

Philipp Stiegler

Re: New Java GUI for IVTV drivers [ In reply to ]
Hello Guys,

I want to give you a short update about the progress I made in the last
time.
First of all, the GUI supports now 2 or more Tuners. Furthermore also
Radio support is implemented (but not very eye-candy by now, another
update will follow).
Another problem I have with the radio support is, that radio frequency
can't be switched while a player is reading the video device. So
everytime you switch the radio frequency the player is closed and opened
again. But I work for a solution.

Again feedback or featurerequests are appreciated.

Many thanks!

Best Regards

Philipp Stiegler

Re: New Java GUI for IVTV drivers [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 01:34 +0100, Philipp Stiegler wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I want to give you a short update about the progress I made in the last
> time.
> First of all, the GUI supports now 2 or more Tuners. Furthermore also
> Radio support is implemented (but not very eye-candy by now, another
> update will follow).
> Another problem I have with the radio support is, that radio frequency
> can't be switched while a player is reading the video device. So
> everytime you switch the radio frequency the player is closed and opened
> again. But I work for a solution.

It appears that /dev/video24 has higher priority than /dev/radio0 at the
time you try to change the frequency:

http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/vidioc-g-priority.html

Try changing the frequency using /dev/video24 .

I don't immediately see any reason in the driver why the priority would
be any different between the two nodes. I can reproduce the problem
with a PVR-350, ivtv-radio, and v4l2-ctl, so it is likely an ivtv driver
bug that is corrupting the driver's card instance data structures. :(

> Again feedback or featurerequests are appreciated.

Thanks for making a GUI radio app that takes audio from /dev/video24
(most expect to use ALSA /dev/snd/pcm* nodes). I like listening to FM
radio while I work.

You may also want to look at adding sound capture from ALSA device
nodes. The cx18 driver has a cx18-alsa module that presents an ALSA
interface. I have a long term plan for an ivtv-alsa module to do the
same thing for ivtv.

Regards,
Andy

Re: New Java GUI for IVTV drivers [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

yes, /dev/video24 is working find for switching frequency. I will
provide another update in a few days.
Thanks for that hint, it makes my live very easy ;)

I have a question about your request. You want an App that only plays
the Audio?
By now you can use the IVTVHopper to play the FM via any player (vlc and
mplayer are tested).
Maybe you can give me another short instruction what you really want to
do and I will integrate it in IVTVHopper?

Many thanks!

Best Regards

Philipp

Re: New Java GUI for IVTV drivers [ In reply to ]
> Another problem I have with the radio support is, that radio frequency
> can't be switched while a player is reading the video device. So
> everytime you switch the radio frequency the player is closed and opened
> again. But I work for a solution.
it should be possible to switch from one radio channel to another radio
channel without stopping the encoder. But switching inputs (and also switching
from TV to radio and vice versa) requieres an encoder stop, that is a driver
restriction.

Re: New Java GUI for IVTV drivers [ In reply to ]
it is already implemented and online on my page as you discribe.
every switch from tv to radio the encoder is stopped and switching
channels is done without stopping.

Thank you