Mailing List Archive

How to upgrade IVTV on 2.6.34/Suse 11.3?
[. Apologies; my mailer really sucks, so I inadvertantly posted this to
-dev a minute ago; please ignore there ]

Just hard-upgraded the sis's Mythbox to SuSE 11.3 (2.6.34) and Myth .23.1

And, of course, because I didn't do my homework, I'm getting the

*********************** WARNING ***********************
ivtv drivers prior to 0.10.0 can cause lockups when
reading VBI. Drivers between 0.10.5 and 1.0.3+ do not
properly capture VBI data on PVR-250 and PVR-350 cards.

error.

My ivtvctl says it's 0.10.5, in fact, and we're actually still locking the
machine.

My *question*, though, is this: how do you upgrade the actual driver now
that it's in the mainline? The ivtvdriver.org howto doesn't actually
cover this, and, at 2.6.34, I don't have a lot of kernel upgrading left
to do -- I would *really* prefer not to have to go off the reservation,
kernel wise, if I don't have to.

Can Andy or someone give me the 3 sentence precis of this, and once I've
got it done, I'll write it up for the wiki?

( Sorry this is poorly threaded, but my mailer won't let me at the
damn references header to unlink it... )

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: How to upgrade IVTV on 2.6.34/Suse 11.3? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
> [. Apologies; my mailer really sucks, so I inadvertantly posted this to
> -dev a minute ago; please ignore there ]

I can nuke it..

John

Re: How to upgrade IVTV on 2.6.34/Suse 11.3? [ In reply to ]
> > [. Apologies; my mailer really sucks, so I inadvertantly posted this
> > -dev a minute ago; please ignore there ]
> >
> I can nuke it..

Well, in fact, I'm *subscribed* there, so it's out already. :-}

Thanks, though.

Cheers,
-- jra

Re: How to upgrade IVTV on 2.6.34/Suse 11.3? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 11:02 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> My *question*, though, is this: how do you upgrade the actual driver now
> that it's in the mainline? The ivtvdriver.org howto doesn't actually
> cover this, and, at 2.6.34, I don't have a lot of kernel upgrading left
> to do -- I would *really* prefer not to have to go off the reservation,
> kernel wise, if I don't have to.

You'll have to go off reservation with the v4l2-dvb kernel modules.
Instructions are the same as here:

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18#Obtaining_the_driver

You may want to back up your stock kernel's modules that are under
"media" before the make install step, so you can roll back if needed.

Also this backward compatibility v4l-dvb build isn't quite as good as it
used to be since v4l-dvb development moved to using GIT. However, it is
still better than compiling and installing a whole vanilla, bleeding
edge kernel for most end users.

> Can Andy or someone give me the 3 sentence precis of this, and once I've
> got it done, I'll write it up for the wiki?

It's already there. Feel free to add amplifying information.

I think the wiki is broken though, in that I cannot add material to it
using the normal user interface. :(

I'm no web expert, so if anyone can give me pointers as to what might be
wrong with the wiki, I can try and pound on it to fix it.

Maybe its just me... ;)

Regards,
Andy