Mailing List Archive

[ANN] New ivtv maintainer: Andy Walls
Hi all!

As many of you on the ivtv mailinglists no doubt noticed my contributions to
the ivtv driver have become minimal in the past year. The main reason for this
are my increasingly time consuming efforts in adding support for the complex
video subsystems on System-on-a-Chip devices. Especially the past 6 months
have been very busy and I've decided to cut down on some responsibilities.
One of those is my ivtv maintainership.

Luckily Andy Walls has become a lot more active with all things ivtv and he
graciously accepted my offer to become the next ivtv maintainer. He already
maintains the cx18 driver and since the two drivers have a lot in common it
makes sense to maintain both of them.

I expect to finalize the maintainership transfer in January. There isn't much
to do, mostly some ivtvdriver.org administrative stuff. One thing I want to do,
though, is to post a list of ideas/todos that never happened for ivtv but that
might be interesting to either Andy or (who knows?) someone else. I'll do this
in January as well.

I'm of course available for questions, and I might still do the occasional ivtv
updates (after all, I am still very active in the v4l subsystem!). But I'm no
longer the main contact person for this driver.

It's been quite a ride: my first ivtv emails went out end of July 2003, almost
six-and-a-half years ago. The first patch I emailed went out exactly 6 years
ago to the day as far as I can tell. Initially I worked on adding VBI support
to ivtv because I wanted to record the PAL widescreen signal and reproduce it
when decoding the MPEG stream on my PVR-350. This seemed easy but turned out
to be a huge job.

Around summer 2005 I took over from Chris Kennedy as maintainer with the goal
of merging ivtv into the linux kernel, something that was finally done by the
end of 2007 and the 2.6.22 kernel release. The ivtvfb driver was merged in
2.6.24 and the last saa717x i2c driver was merged in 2.6.26 in summer 2008.
So in all the whole process took three years. The 2.6.26 kernel also merged
the cx18 driver which I developed in 2007.

However, in spring 2008 I started working on SoCs and that has snowballed into
something much bigger. So after being maintainer for about 4 1/2 years it is
time to hand it over to Andy.

An unexpected side-effect of doing open source development like this is that
it is a unique selling point on your resumé (aka CV). It definitely boosted
my career. So besides being a lot of fun, it actually has 'real-life' benefits
as well! I am in the unique position now that my day time job and my v4l work
sometimes seem to blend together. That would never have happened if I didn't
start this journey over six years ago.

Special thanks go to Kevin Thayer, the original ivtv author, and Chris Kennedy,
my predecessor. Thanks for all the work you did!

I also like to thank Axel Thimm for providing a home for ivtv, John Drescher
for being the mailinglist gatekeeper, Ian Armstrong for maintaining the ivtv
X driver, Steven Toth for all the support that Hauppauge gave me and Mauro
Chehab for all the help he gave me merging the driver into the kernel.

And of course I'd like to thank Andy for taking over this job. I hope open
source development will be as much fun for you as it is for me, Andy!

Thank you all for your support over the years, and I wish everyone a very
happy New Year!

Best regards,

Hans