Mailing List Archive

is VBI (closed captioning) supported on ATSC(Digital) program?
I've a HVR1600 card with cx18 driver. Currently, I'm able to record analog
programs with VBI embedded. Recently, I enabled the digital tuner on HVR1600
to start recording digital programs. The recording works great but no VBI. I
wonder is VBI supported on digital recordings? Thanks

Steve
Re: is VBI (closed captioning) supported on ATSC(Digital) program? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 00:56 -0700, Steve Chui wrote:
> I've a HVR1600 card with cx18 driver. Currently, I'm able to record
> analog programs with VBI embedded. Recently, I enabled the digital
> tuner on HVR1600 to start recording digital programs. The recording
> works great but no VBI. I wonder is VBI supported on digital
> recordings?

As far as digital broadcasts are concerned, the CX23418 and cx18 driver
act simply as a passthrough from the broadcaster.

There are captioning and other information encoded in the digital ATSC
or QAM streams from the broadcaster. (I can't recall the standards right
now.) Getting captioning from an ATSC or QAM stream is up to the
application.

I have no idea what applications currently support displaying captions
from ATSC and North American QAM digital broadcasts.

Regards,
Andy

Re: is VBI (closed captioning) supported on ATSC(Digital) program? [ In reply to ]
Hi Steve,

Andy Walls wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 00:56 -0700, Steve Chui wrote:
>> I've a HVR1600 card with cx18 driver. Currently, I'm able to record
>> analog programs with VBI embedded. Recently, I enabled the digital
>> tuner on HVR1600 to start recording digital programs. The recording
>> works great but no VBI. I wonder is VBI supported on digital
>> recordings?
>
> As far as digital broadcasts are concerned, the CX23418 and cx18 driver
> act simply as a passthrough from the broadcaster.
>
> There are captioning and other information encoded in the digital ATSC
> or QAM streams from the broadcaster. (I can't recall the standards right
> now.) Getting captioning from an ATSC or QAM stream is up to the
> application.
>
> I have no idea what applications currently support displaying captions
> from ATSC and North American QAM digital broadcasts.

I can confirm that MythTV can display captions embedded in ATSC streams. MythTV supports both EIA-608 captions (the older standard) and EIA-708 (newer standard with more features like user's ability to choose fonts & font sizes). The ATSC standard specifies that both types of captions should be provided by broadcasters. I should also mention that MythTV's support for EIA-708 leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately, you can tell MythTV to favor EIA-608 captions.

Helen

Re: is VBI (closed captioning) supported on ATSC(Digital) program? [ In reply to ]
Hi Helen and Andy,

Thank you for confirming it. I'm using MythTV (mythbunutu) too. I guess I
must miss some setup steps when I enable the digital tuner. I just want to
make sure the driver is able to capture the captions before I troubleshoot
the problem. Thank you so much.

Steve