It seems to work fine for my needs (2 units recording s-video+audio
only) except for the lingering issue of having to make a throwaway
recording for each tuner after reboot.

Is it worth updating (i.e. are there any significant improvements)?
Is the newest stable? I

I've been trying to follow the threads, but get a bit behind.

BTW: Andy - thanks for all the hard work!

-B

Re: Status of CX18 driver and Haupage 1600 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 13:13 -0600, Bill McWilliams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been successfully using the cx23418 firmware and rev 9500
> (55f8fcf70843) version of the v4l-dvb module.
>
> It seems to work fine for my needs (2 units recording s-video+audio
> only) except for the lingering issue of having to make a throwaway
> recording for each tuner after reboot.
>
> Is it worth updating

Yes.

> (i.e. are there any significant improvements)?

1. Audio initialization is fixed, so there is no need to throw away the
first analog recording anymore.

2. Significant buffer handling improvements that helps eliminate jitter
experienced by userspace applications.

3. An additional work handler for giving empty buffers back to the
CX23418 firmware to help eliminate jitter experienced by userspace
applications.

There is essentially nothing more to be done in the cx18 driver to
improve buffer handling and interrupts and the performance related to
them.

> Is the newest stable? I

Yes.

> I've been trying to follow the threads, but get a bit behind.

Look for analog support to be largely on the back burner unless some
raises a need or problem (e.g. new analog tuner type, need for MPEG
Index, or audio dual-watch, CX23418 hardware-native sliced VBI, etc). I
only have OTA TV and in the US and that's now all digital, save the
analog self help broadcasts that will likely end on July 12. I have a
VCR and DTV STB that can output on channel 3 to the tuner or into the
CVBS video-in, if there's really a problem with analog.

I'm focusing on DTV (ATSC and DVB) and new card support as priorities.
I also need to clean up FM radio a bit for non-HVR-1600 cards.

I have some IR stuff to clean up for the HVR-1600 and DVR3100 H as a
second priority for the cx18 driver.

I also need to reduce the memory footprint of the cx18 instance
structure - there's some waste in it (e.g. a strcut cx18_dvb exists for
every stream type, but is only used for the DTV/TS stream type).

> BTW: Andy - thanks for all the hard work!

You're welcome.

Regards,
Andy