Mailing List Archive

Update on progress:: Acer aspire idea 500
On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 14:26 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 16:20 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

> > I've de-lidded the MPC718 card and the chip set is as
> > below.
>
> OK, great. Would it be possibel to get some digital photos of both
> sides of the PCB? (you can mail them directly to me, if you can take
> some picture.)
>

> > Devices
> > -------
> > Connexant CX23418 MPEG 2 Encoder

> > Zarlink MT352/CG COFDM Demodulator
>
> Ugh. There is a linux driver for this chip, but it wants an
> initialization sequence of registers that are not publicly documented.

I've made good progress on finding the sequence needed to initialize the
MT352. I'm not done quite yet, so I probably won't have something for
test until next weekend.

I think the MPC718 variants might use at least 3 different DVB-T
demodulators: Mitel/Zarlink MT352, Zarlink ZL10353, or some DiBcom chip
supported by one of the dib7000x drivers. It looks like you might have
an older card.

> > XCeive 3028 Hybrid Tuner + analog demodulator
>
> OK. Please confirm that this is the XC3028 and not the XC3028L.

Given that your board uses a MT352, which is rather old, I'd expect the
board doesn't use the XC3028L - low power tuner. Please do confirm
though.

> > Hynix HY5DU283333B DDR RAM
> >
> > Cirrus(?) 5340 CZZ Audio A->D
>
> Yes. This chip takes in Analog Baseband Left and Right Audi and
> Converts it to a digital I2S bus audio.
>
> Things like this chip are why I'd like pictures of the board. There is
> likely some GPIO pin-controlled routing of audio into this chip. I'd
> also like to know for sure which I2S input of the CX23418 this audio
> goes into.

This should be easy to do, but not done yet.

> > 2. Get analog tuning working based on knowing the card has an XCeive
> > XC3028 anlog/digital tuner. For this I need someone to figure out for
> > certain what GPIO pin is used to reset the XC3028. This will require
> > someone with patience as the brute force search may require up to 32
> > loads/unloads/recompiles of the driver.

I'm almost sure it's GPIO pin 0. Please confirm. If not 0, it will
likely be a low number like 1, 2, 3, ...

Regards,
Andy