Mailing List Archive

Acer aspire idea 500?
Hi, I was following with interest the email discussion about getting the cx18 drivers etc working with the acer aspire idea 510 (I have the 500 model)
but the chat seemed to fizzle in june 2008. Did anyone ever get this working?

Cheers
spf
Re: Acer aspire idea 500? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 19:39 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:
> Hi, I was following with interest the email discussion about getting
> the cx18 drivers etc working with the acer aspire idea 510 (I have the
> 500 model)
> but the chat seemed to fizzle in june 2008. Did anyone ever get this
> working?

It fizzled. There's an entry in the cx18 driver for the Yuan MPC718,
but it is incomplete. Here's what I think I can do:

1. Fix the analog basedband part (CVBS, S-Video) of the card based on
the windows *.inf file.

2. Get analog tuning working based on knowing the card has an XCeive
XC3028 anlog/digital tuner. For this I need someone to figure out for
certain what GPIO pin is used to reset the XC3028. This will require
someone with patience as the brute force search may require up to 32
loads/unloads/recompiles of the driver.

3. I might be able to get DVB-T working, but will need to rely heavily
on someone with the hardware and access to DVB-T. Here's how things
will go:

a. Someone really needs to figure out what DVB-T demodulator is on the
MPC718. It's housed in the metal can. :( The Yuan PG718 looks like a
PCI version of the MPC718, so maybe if someone can provide a list of the
chips on that card, it'll be the same. The Yuan MPC788 is reported to
use an XCeive XC3028 with an Intel/Zarlink CE6353/ZL10353 - so I can use
that as a first guess.

b. I need to know the crystal freq used with the demod. If it's the
Zarlink 10353 or equivalent, I'm betting it's a 20.48 MHz crystal.
Visual confirmation would be nice.

c. I need to know the I2C address of the digital demodulator. If it's
the Zarlink 10353 or equivalent, I'm guessing it's at 0x1e as most
Zl10353 eval kits used this apparently. If not, there's a way to use
the i2c-dev module and the i2c-detect tool (lm-sensors package) to try
and figure it out.

d. I need to know if the MPC718 uses a Parallel or Serial TS. This will
require module loads/unloads/recompiles of the driver. Hopefully this
will be an experiment that has to be run only once or twice.

So,

1. How bad do you want it to work?
2. Do you have a technical contact at Yuan?

;)

Regards,
Andy

Re: Acer aspire idea 500? [ In reply to ]
Andy,
I'm not sure that I'm using this mail list correctly? Apologies if I'm not.

I've de-lidded the MPC718 card and the chip set is as below.

Devices
-------
Connexant CX23418 MPEG 2 Encoder

Zarlink MT352/CG COFDM Demodulator

XCeive 3028 Hybrid Tuner + analog demodulator

Hynix HY5DU283333B DDR RAM

Cirrus(?) 5340 CZZ Audio A->D

Crystals
---------
32 M : For Xceive xc3028

20.480 M : For Zarlink MT352

28.6363 : Not sure what this is for, the cx?

>>someone with patience as the brute force search may require up to 32
>>loads/unloads/recompiles of the driver.

If you need me to do this run? Please just point me to correct files to edit and unix commands,
and I'll either run it manually or script it (perl, sed .... or whatever is needed etc)

Regards

Re: Acer aspire idea 500? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 16:20 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:
> Andy,
> I'm not sure that I'm using this mail list correctly?
> Apologies if I'm not.
>

> I've de-lidded the MPC718 card and the chip set is as
> below.

OK, great. Would it be possibel to get some digital photos of both
sides of the PCB? (you can mail them directly to me, if you can take
some picture.)

> Devices
> -------
> Connexant CX23418 MPEG 2 Encoder

As expected.

> Zarlink MT352/CG COFDM Demodulator

Ugh. There is a linux driver for this chip, but it wants an
initialization sequence of registers that are not publicly documented.
I'll have to try and pull that out of the Windows driver for the MPC718
or PG718. That could take a while.

> XCeive 3028 Hybrid Tuner + analog demodulator

OK. Please confirm that this is the XC3028 and not the XC3028L.

> Hynix HY5DU283333B DDR RAM
>
> Cirrus(?) 5340 CZZ Audio A->D

Yes. This chip takes in Analog Baseband Left and Right Audi and
Converts it to a digital I2S bus audio.

Things like this chip are why I'd like pictures of the board. There is
likely some GPIO pin-controlled routing of audio into this chip. I'd
also like to know for sure which I2S input of the CX23418 this audio
goes into.

> Crystals
> ---------
> 32 M : For Xceive xc3028

Yes, I think so.

> 20.480 M : For Zarlink MT352

Yes - the recommended crystal for this chip and the ZL10353 as well.

> 28.6363 : Not sure what this is for, the cx?

Yes this is the recommended crystal for the CX23418.

It comes from history involving the NTSC sound subcarrier, horizontal
line, and color-subcarrier frequencies:

NTSC Color subcarrier freq * 8 =
4.5 MHz/286 * 455/2 * 8 = 28.63636363... MHz

The accidents of history and rationale that explain from where this
combination of magic numbers originate can be found in:

[1] Abrahams, I. C., "Choice of Chrominance Subcarrier Frequency in
the NTSC Standards", Proceedings of the I-R-E, January 1954, pp 79-80

[2] Abrahams, I. C., "The 'Frequency Interleaving' Principle in the
NTSC Standards", Proceedings of the I-R-E, January 1954, pp 81-83

> >>someone with patience as the brute force search may require up to
> 32
> >>loads/unloads/recompiles of the driver.
>
> If you need me to do this run? Please just point me to correct files
> to edit and unix commands,
> and I'll either run it manually or script it (perl, sed .... or
> whatever is needed etc)

Well, hopefully you know how to build and install the latest v4l-dvb
repository and have no problems with your distro in doing it:

http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18#Obtaining_the_driver

What needs to be verified as correct is the "xceive_pin" setting in the
card entry in:

linux/drivers/media/video/cx18/cx18-cards.c:

static const struct cx18_card cx18_card_mpc718 = {
.type = CX18_CARD_YUAN_MPC718,
.name = "Yuan MPC718",
.comment = "Analog video capture works; some audio line in may not.\n",
.xceive_pin = 0, <----------------------
.pci_list = cx18_pci_mpc718,
.i2c = &cx18_i2c_std,
};

That number can range from 0 to 31.

So

1. Load the cx18 module
2. Unload the cx18 module
3. Load the cx18 module
4. Look in dmesg to see if the xc3028/xc2028 firmware loaded
successfully on the latest cx18 module load for that card. If so,
you've got the right GPIO in number and you're done.
5. Edit the xceive_pin value in cx18-cards.c
6. build and install the cx18 driver
7. Goto step 2.

Regards,
Andy