It manages to find every single channel except for WFFF-TV (aka FOX44). My
television shows that it has a strong signal strength and is actually better
than some other channels. Is there something I can do help the scan program
find this channel? I noticed that it's one of the few (or only) channel that
broadcasts in 720p instead of 1080i, but I doubt that makes much of a
difference...

Thanks,

nick

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 16:56 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just got a HVR1600 and am trying to build a channels.conf file with all the
> channels that I get using my TV (it has a built-in ATSC tuner).

Are you using the cx18, mxl5005s and s5h1409 drivers that came with your
distribution or the latest v4l-dvb repository drivers?

If not the latest, you should try those first. See the cx18 page on
ivtvdriver.org for instructions on getting the latest drivers.

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18

> I use the following command to scan for channels (on mythbuntu 9.04):
>
> scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
>
> It manages to find every single channel except for WFFF-TV (aka FOX44). My
> television shows that it has a strong signal strength and is actually better
> than some other channels.

According to the FCC, WFFF-TV's digital station is on UHF channel 43.
How does WFFF's analog station look on UHF channel 44? Any snow,
ghosting, or interference lines?

If so, that indicates poor reception from that transmitter. If so, also
please review:

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Improve_signal_quality

> Is there something I can do help the scan program
> find this channel?

Well, if it helps, the center freq for an ATSC-8VSB channel on UHF
channel 43 is 647.028615 MHz.

Maybe you could make up a manual entry in channels.conf, azap to it, and
then use femon or dvbtraffic to see if you can get a lock and see the
PIDs in use.

Where I'm at, PIDs 0x31 (49) and 0x34 (52) are usually in use for the
primary video and audio program.

> I noticed that it's one of the few (or only) channel that
> broadcasts in 720p instead of 1080i, but I doubt that makes much of a
> difference...

It shouldn't make a difference.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On May 8, 2009 08:04:11 pm Andy Walls wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 16:56 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just got a HVR1600 and am trying to build a channels.conf file with all
> > the channels that I get using my TV (it has a built-in ATSC tuner).
>
> Are you using the cx18, mxl5005s and s5h1409 drivers that came with your
> distribution or the latest v4l-dvb repository drivers?
>
> If not the latest, you should try those first. See the cx18 page on
> ivtvdriver.org for instructions on getting the latest drivers.
>
> http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18
>
> > I use the following command to scan for channels (on mythbuntu 9.04):
> >
> > scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> >
> > It manages to find every single channel except for WFFF-TV (aka FOX44).
> > My television shows that it has a strong signal strength and is actually
> > better than some other channels.
>
> According to the FCC, WFFF-TV's digital station is on UHF channel 43.
> How does WFFF's analog station look on UHF channel 44? Any snow,
> ghosting, or interference lines?
>
> If so, that indicates poor reception from that transmitter. If so, also
> please review:
>
> http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Improve_signal_quality
>
> > Is there something I can do help the scan program
> > find this channel?
>
> Well, if it helps, the center freq for an ATSC-8VSB channel on UHF
> channel 43 is 647.028615 MHz.
>
> Maybe you could make up a manual entry in channels.conf, azap to it, and
> then use femon or dvbtraffic to see if you can get a lock and see the
> PIDs in use.
>
> Where I'm at, PIDs 0x31 (49) and 0x34 (52) are usually in use for the
> primary video and audio program.
>
> > I noticed that it's one of the few (or only) channel that
> > broadcasts in 720p instead of 1080i, but I doubt that makes much of a
> > difference...
>
> It shouldn't make a difference.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > nick

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response.

It seems that you're right about it being a signal strength issue because as
soon as the sun went down I was able to (unreliably) find the channel with a
scan. I've gone through all of your recommendations and here's what I've come
up with:

Using the latest drivers makes it much harder for me to get a lock, I had
better results with version 1.0.4 that comes with the vanilla 2.6.29 kernel
(I'm using the prepackaged 2.6.29 ubuntu kernel: 2.6.29-02062902).

44 is just snow for me, but I'm assuming that's because their analog
transmitter is off-air. All the wiring is new, in fact there's only one splice
(union) from the antenna down to the capture card.

As mentioned above, I was able to get a lock tonight and was able to watch the
channel for a good 25min but then it just crapped out. Is there a way to
increase the sensitivity of the card? My television (which has a much longer
length of wire going to it) has a perfect picture day or night; I don't
understand why it works while the HVR1600 doesn't :S

Thanks for your help,

nick

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 21:58 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:
> On May 8, 2009 08:04:11 pm Andy Walls wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 16:56 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I just got a HVR1600 and am trying to build a channels.conf file with all
> > > the channels that I get using my TV (it has a built-in ATSC tuner).
> >
> > Are you using the cx18, mxl5005s and s5h1409 drivers that came with your
> > distribution or the latest v4l-dvb repository drivers?
> >
> > If not the latest, you should try those first. See the cx18 page on
> > ivtvdriver.org for instructions on getting the latest drivers.
> >
> > http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18
> >
> > > I use the following command to scan for channels (on mythbuntu 9.04):
> > >
> > > scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> > >
> > > It manages to find every single channel except for WFFF-TV (aka FOX44).
> > > My television shows that it has a strong signal strength and is actually
> > > better than some other channels.
> >
> > According to the FCC, WFFF-TV's digital station is on UHF channel 43.
> > How does WFFF's analog station look on UHF channel 44? Any snow,
> > ghosting, or interference lines?
> >
> > If so, that indicates poor reception from that transmitter. If so, also
> > please review:
> >
> > http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Improve_signal_quality
> >
> > > Is there something I can do help the scan program
> > > find this channel?
> >
> > Well, if it helps, the center freq for an ATSC-8VSB channel on UHF
> > channel 43 is 647.028615 MHz.
> >
> > Maybe you could make up a manual entry in channels.conf, azap to it, and
> > then use femon or dvbtraffic to see if you can get a lock and see the
> > PIDs in use.
> >
> > Where I'm at, PIDs 0x31 (49) and 0x34 (52) are usually in use for the
> > primary video and audio program.
> >
> > > I noticed that it's one of the few (or only) channel that
> > > broadcasts in 720p instead of 1080i, but I doubt that makes much of a
> > > difference...
> >
> > It shouldn't make a difference.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > nick
> >

> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for the quick and detailed response.
>
> It seems that you're right about it being a signal strength issue because as
> soon as the sun went down I was able to (unreliably) find the channel with a
> scan.

That can happen when the main beam of your antenna (or a sidelobe) is
pointed at an an object in the sky with a high noise/brightness
temperature (the sun or the galactic disk). When that bright object is
seen by your antenna, the noise degrades the signal to noise ratio.

You may want to focus on steps to reduce noise: gounding the coax shield
to reduce EMI and adding a low-noise preamplifier.

> I've gone through all of your recommendations and here's what I've come
> up with:
>
> Using the latest drivers makes it much harder for me to get a lock, I had
> better results with version 1.0.4 that comes with the vanilla 2.6.29 kernel
> (I'm using the prepackaged 2.6.29 ubuntu kernel: 2.6.29-02062902).

That's surprising. AFAIK, there was possibly one change to the s5h1409
driver to make it tune faster, by reseting the digital demodulator's
tracking to help it lock on to the new signal faster. You may just have
good luck with the old driver by being tuned to a certain station before
going to WFFF.

> 44 is just snow for me, but I'm assuming that's because their analog
> transmitter is off-air. All the wiring is new, in fact there's only one splice
> (union) from the antenna down to the capture card.

OK. Please ensure you're using a splitter and not a splice; as a
splitter is needed to match impedences properly. Also make sure you've
got a grounding block (connected to green wire ground) in the coaxial
cable as close as possible to where the coaxial cable attaches to the
antenna to ground the shield of the coax. Reducing EMI made a big
difference for me.

> As mentioned above, I was able to get a lock tonight and was able to watch the
> channel for a good 25min but then it just crapped out. Is there a way to
> increase the sensitivity of the card?

I don't have data on the MXL5005s tuner nor the data on the discrete
components wired up to it. Without that, I have no hope of tweaking the
mxl5005s configuration to make the reception better. :(

I personally use a low noise (2.9 dB NF), high gain (29 dB) VHF/UHF
preamp from Winegard for my home. It's an AP-8275:

http://www.winegard.com/offair/preamp.php
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/chart29.pdf

It works great for me, because I live so far from the city. The 29 dB
gain can overdrive tuners (and thus degrade reception), if you live
where signals are of decent strength, so a low-noise preamp with less
gain is better in most situations.

> My television (which has a much longer
> length of wire going to it) has a perfect picture day or night; I don't
> understand why it works while the HVR1600 doesn't :S

Have you tried connecting the HVR-1600 to the wire feeding your
television?

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 May 2009 22:47:15 Andy Walls wrote:
> [...]
> components wired up to it. Without that, I have no hope of tweaking the
> mxl5005s configuration to make the reception better. :(
>

> I personally use a low noise (2.9 dB NF), high gain (29 dB) VHF/UHF
> preamp from Winegard for my home. It's an AP-8275:
>
> http://www.winegard.com/offair/preamp.php
> http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/chart29.pdf
>
> It works great for me, because I live so far from the city. The 29 dB
> gain can overdrive tuners (and thus degrade reception), if you live
> where signals are of decent strength, so a low-noise preamp with less
> gain is better in most situations.
>
> > My television (which has a much longer
> > length of wire going to it) has a perfect picture day or night; I don't
> > understand why it works while the HVR1600 doesn't :S
>
> Have you tried connecting the HVR-1600 to the wire feeding your

Everything is grounded properly and I'm using the same coax everywhere (75
Ohm, RG-6, 95% shielded, rated for 2200MHz). I'm using a splice at the moment
to reduce any potential loss that I might incur from using a splitter (only
one device is connected at a time). This will eventually be replaced with a
splitter once I get everything sorted.

Right now the HVR-1600 is working properly, I can get FOX but I suspect that
it's because it's night time. I'll report back in the morning once the sun
comes back out.

One thing that I don't understand is how come the television reports that it's
getting such a high signal strength (about 75%, and I still get a picture all
the way down to about 30% while turning the antenna) while the capture card
can't get a lock (I can't verify what the signal level is on the capture card
because femon -H always reports "signal 0% | snr 0%"). Are all ATSC
capture cards this picky?

I swapped out the cables and nothing changed, I wish it was that simple :(

Thanks for your continued help,

nick

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 01:19 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:
> On Friday 08 May 2009 22:47:15 Andy Walls wrote:
> > > >

> Everything is grounded properly and I'm using the same coax everywhere (75
> Ohm, RG-6, 95% shielded, rated for 2200MHz).

OK.

> I'm using a splice at the moment
> to reduce any potential loss that I might incur from using a splitter (only
> one device is connected at a time).

That's bad, if by splice you mean two cables wired to the incoming feed
at the same time. In such a case, without a splitter, you'll get signal
(voltage wave) reflections due to impedance mismatches (which will look
like noise) and the power is splitting anyway. Also at the end of an
unterminated cable you'll get reflections from impedance mismatch that
will travel back up and split down to the other end - more apparent
noise.

Reflections essentially show up as increased noise floor in the tuner,
degraing your signal to noise ratio.

With digital modulations that have lots of Forward Error Correction
(FEC), the Bit Error Rate (BER) vs Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) curves
are close to a "brick-wall". There is a very narrow band (~ 2 dB) where
the signal will go from a very low BER (good picture) to a very high BER
(no picture) as your S/N ratio drops.

This is the joy of digital TV reception that the FCC did not convey top
the public. :( The FCC didn't fully assess the impacts to OTA
broadcast to outlying areas either, I suspect. What does

http://www.antennaweb.org

say you can expect for digital reception of WFFF at your location? What
is the bearing that antennaweb.org say you should point you antenna vs
the bearing at which you have it? (antennaweb uses magnetic north)
Antennaweb should be running a Longley-Rice propagation model to give
you some decent expectation of availability.

> This will eventually be replaced with a
> splitter once I get everything sorted.

Bring an unspliced, unsplit line straight to the HVR-1600's digital TV
input. If that doesn't work well, you'll need a higher directivity
antenna and/or a low noise preamp.

> Right now the HVR-1600 is working properly, I can get FOX but I suspect that
> it's because it's night time. I'll report back in the morning once the sun
> comes back out.

Weather fronts and temperature varaition betwenn you and the
transmitting station also make a difference at times.

> One thing that I don't understand is how come the television reports that it's
> getting such a high signal strength (about 75%, and I still get a picture all
> the way down to about 30% while turning the antenna)

What does you TV report as SNR? At what SNR does your TV start getting
errors on a station? How close is WFFF's ditial station to that
threshold SNR on your TV?

My Sony TV will start getting errors at an SNR of 13 dB for ATSC OTA
8VSB modulation. The channel will have no picture if the SNR drops to
11 dB. IIRC...

> while the capture card
> can't get a lock

Managing SNR by obtaining a good receive system noise figure makes a lot
of difference. Remeber that your TV has lots of power and space for
components to build a much more complex receiver with better, but
larger, components and good shielding than a card in your PC's PCI slot.

For example, I doubt your TV uses a tiny silicon tuner chip like the
MXL5005s. It probably uses larger components with better noise figures
and less loss.

Also the tuner AGC take over point (TOP) between the MXL5005s and
CX24777 (aka S5H1409) could be set suboptimally in the linux drivers,
resulting in a suboptimal receiver system nosie figure. I have not
tried to experiment with this as I could only adjust the TOP on the
S5H1409 properly.

> (I can't verify what the signal level is on the capture card
> because femon -H always reports "signal 0% | snr 0%"). Are all ATSC
> capture cards this picky?

The 0% signal is due to a s5h1409 driver deficiency, ignore it. The SNR
should be around 2.3 or 2.4 dB as reported by the s5h1409 driver for
ATSC OTA reception to work.

Receiver implementation makes the difference in the face of low incoming
S/N ratio. Receivers that have more space and power for components will
typically have better performance. The amount of HVR-1600 real-estate
dedicated to the MXl5005s (in the small tuner can) and the CX24777,
compared to the real-estate afforded to the digital tuner components in
your TV, is probably quite different.

In the face of low incoming S/N, you best bet is to reduce the noise to
as low a level as possible (eliminate EMI and reflections due to
impedance mismatches) and manage the total *system* noise figure.

The noise figures (NF) of components before the first gain stage
(cables, connectors, etc.) will dominate the noise figure of your
receive system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_formulas_for_noise

The NF in dB for a cable, connector, or other passive component is the
same as it's loss in dB. So looking at Friis' equation, to get the best
possible receive system noise figure, an LNA (low noise amplifier) as
close to the antenna as possible is what one wants to manage your
receive system NF.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On May 9, 2009 08:34:31 am Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 01:19 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:
> >
> > Everything is grounded properly and I'm using the same coax everywhere
> > (75 Ohm, RG-6, 95% shielded, rated for 2200MHz).
>
> OK.
>
> > I'm using a splice at the moment
> > to reduce any potential loss that I might incur from using a splitter
> > (only one device is connected at a time).
>
> That's bad, if by splice you mean two cables wired to the incoming feed
> at the same time. In such a case, without a splitter, you'll get signal
> (voltage wave) reflections due to impedance mismatches (which will look
> like noise) and the power is splitting anyway. Also at the end of an
> unterminated cable you'll get reflections from impedance mismatch that
> will travel back up and split down to the other end - more apparent
> noise.
>
> Reflections essentially show up as increased noise floor in the tuner,
> degraing your signal to noise ratio.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my sleepy state.

Right now I have one length of wire that comes down from the antenna (which is
on a mast above my roof) and gets terminated inside the house to something
like this: http://imgur.com/JG0L.jpg

>From there I either connect the television or the capture card, never both at
the same time as that would be impossible :P

> With digital modulations that have lots of Forward Error Correction
> (FEC), the Bit Error Rate (BER) vs Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) curves
> are close to a "brick-wall". There is a very narrow band (~ 2 dB) where
> the signal will go from a very low BER (good picture) to a very high BER
> (no picture) as your S/N ratio drops.
>
> This is the joy of digital TV reception that the FCC did not convey top
> the public. :( The FCC didn't fully assess the impacts to OTA
> broadcast to outlying areas either, I suspect. What does
>
> http://www.antennaweb.org
>
> say you can expect for digital reception of WFFF at your location? What
> is the bearing that antennaweb.org say you should point you antenna vs
> the bearing at which you have it? (antennaweb uses magnetic north)
> Antennaweb should be running a Longley-Rice propagation model to give
> you some decent expectation of availability.

Sadly I can't use that because I don't live in the US. I tried entering my
coordinates and it only lists two stations from Plattsburgh. One at heading
201 (WCFE) and the other at heading 188 (WWBI). The WFFF transmitter is
southeast of me, I'd estimate the heading to be about 150 degrees and the
distance (using google maps) is about 142km (~88mi) "as the crow flies".

This may seem far, but there are 3 other transmitters in that area that I'm
able to get great signal from (WCAX, WPTZ and WETK).

> > This will eventually be replaced with a
> > splitter once I get everything sorted.
>
> Bring an unspliced, unsplit line straight to the HVR-1600's digital TV
> input. If that doesn't work well, you'll need a higher directivity
> antenna and/or a low noise preamp.

As mentioned above, that's what I'm already doing, I'm just bad at explaining.

> > Right now the HVR-1600 is working properly, I can get FOX but I suspect
> > that it's because it's night time. I'll report back in the morning once
> > the sun comes back out.
>
> Weather fronts and temperature varaition betwenn you and the
> transmitting station also make a difference at times.

Sure enough, as soon as the sun comes out, "scan" no longer finds the channel
nor will gnutv get a lock on the signal.

> > One thing that I don't understand is how come the television reports that
> > it's getting such a high signal strength (about 75%, and I still get a
> > picture all the way down to about 30% while turning the antenna)
>
> What does you TV report as SNR? At what SNR does your TV start getting
> errors on a station? How close is WFFF's ditial station to that
> threshold SNR on your TV?
>
> My Sony TV will start getting errors at an SNR of 13 dB for ATSC OTA
> 8VSB modulation. The channel will have no picture if the SNR drops to
> 11 dB. IIRC...

My TV only reports "signal strength" in percent and no SNR, not very handy,,,

> > while the capture card
> > can't get a lock
>
> Managing SNR by obtaining a good receive system noise figure makes a lot
> of difference. Remeber that your TV has lots of power and space for
> components to build a much more complex receiver with better, but
> larger, components and good shielding than a card in your PC's PCI slot.
>
> For example, I doubt your TV uses a tiny silicon tuner chip like the
> MXL5005s. It probably uses larger components with better noise figures
> and less loss.
>
> Also the tuner AGC take over point (TOP) between the MXL5005s and
> CX24777 (aka S5H1409) could be set suboptimally in the linux drivers,
> resulting in a suboptimal receiver system nosie figure. I have not
> tried to experiment with this as I could only adjust the TOP on the
> S5H1409 properly.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for that clarification.

> > (I can't verify what the signal level is on the capture card
> > because femon -H always reports "signal 0% | snr 0%"). Are all ATSC
> > capture cards this picky?
>
> The 0% signal is due to a s5h1409 driver deficiency, ignore it. The SNR
> should be around 2.3 or 2.4 dB as reported by the s5h1409 driver for
> ATSC OTA reception to work.
>
> Receiver implementation makes the difference in the face of low incoming
> S/N ratio. Receivers that have more space and power for components will
> typically have better performance. The amount of HVR-1600 real-estate
> dedicated to the MXl5005s (in the small tuner can) and the CX24777,
> compared to the real-estate afforded to the digital tuner components in
> your TV, is probably quite different.
>
> In the face of low incoming S/N, you best bet is to reduce the noise to
> as low a level as possible (eliminate EMI and reflections due to
> impedance mismatches) and manage the total *system* noise figure.
>
> The noise figures (NF) of components before the first gain stage
> (cables, connectors, etc.) will dominate the noise figure of your
> receive system:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_formulas_for_noise
>
> The NF in dB for a cable, connector, or other passive component is the
> same as it's loss in dB. So looking at Friis' equation, to get the best
> possible receive system noise figure, an LNA (low noise amplifier) as
> close to the antenna as possible is what one wants to manage your
> receive system NF.
>

> Regards,
> Andy

So it looks like my only option is to try out a pre-amp, I'll see if I can find
one around here at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

nick

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 11:34 -0400, Nick Nobody wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my sleepy state.
>
> Right now I have one length of wire that comes down from the antenna (which is
> on a mast above my roof) and gets terminated inside the house to something
> like this: http://imgur.com/JG0L.jpg
>
> >From there I either connect the television or the capture card, never both at
> the same time as that would be impossible :P

Ah, OK. moving on...

> > This is the joy of digital TV reception that the FCC did not convey top
> > the public. :( The FCC didn't fully assess the impacts to OTA
> > broadcast to outlying areas either, I suspect. What does
> >
> > http://www.antennaweb.org
> >
> > say you can expect for digital reception of WFFF at your location? What
> > is the bearing that antennaweb.org say you should point you antenna vs
> > the bearing at which you have it? (antennaweb uses magnetic north)
> > Antennaweb should be running a Longley-Rice propagation model to give
> > you some decent expectation of availability.
>
> Sadly I can't use that because I don't live in the US. I tried entering my
> coordinates and it only lists two stations from Plattsburgh. One at heading
> 201 (WCFE) and the other at heading 188 (WWBI).

Right. And antenna web is probably running a link margin with the
Longley-Rice Irregular Terrrain Model (ITM) with (I'm guessing) a 95%
(or greater) availability. Those were the only two stations, under
antennaweb's assumptions about your setup, that have that availability
year round.

> The WFFF transmitter is
> southeast of me, I'd estimate the heading to be about 150 degrees and the
> distance (using google maps) is about 142km (~88mi) "as the crow flies".
>
> This may seem far, but there are 3 other transmitters in that area that I'm
> able to get great signal from (WCAX, WPTZ and WETK).

For all four of those stations don't count on > 95% availability year
round.

> > Weather fronts and temperature varaition betwenn you and the
> > transmitting station also make a difference at times.
>
> Sure enough, as soon as the sun comes out, "scan" no longer finds the channel
> nor will gnutv get a lock on the signal.

Wait until the sun is higher in the sky, and not in any of the beams
(main lobe nor side lobe) of your antenna. Reception might improve as
long as your antenna isn't pointing at the Milky Way at that time.

the time window when the Sun is not in your antenna beam might not be
many hours of the day at a northern latitude pointing southward...

> So it looks like my only option is to try out a pre-amp, I'll see if I can find
> one around here at a reasonable price.

Avoid units from Radio Shack, any unit that doesn't have a noise figure
stated, or units with a noise figure over 3 dB.

The companies in the US that come to mind are: Winegard (Indiana?),
Channel Master (North Carolina?), and there's one up in new England
somewhere (IIRC). I found looking at various electronics stores to be a
waste of time; I ordered via the internet.

Good luck.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 scan does not pick up specific channel (HVR1600) [ In reply to ]
On May 9, 2009 01:26:31 pm Andy Walls wrote:
> [...]
>
> Wait until the sun is higher in the sky, and not in any of the beams
> (main lobe nor side lobe) of your antenna. Reception might improve as
> long as your antenna isn't pointing at the Milky Way at that time.
>
> the time window when the Sun is not in your antenna beam might not be
> many hours of the day at a northern latitude pointing southward...
>
> > So it looks like my only option is to try out a pre-amp, I'll see if I
> > can find one around here at a reasonable price.
>
> Avoid units from Radio Shack, any unit that doesn't have a noise figure
> stated, or units with a noise figure over 3 dB.
>
> The companies in the US that come to mind are: Winegard (Indiana?),
> Channel Master (North Carolina?), and there's one up in new England
> somewhere (IIRC). I found looking at various electronics stores to be a
> waste of time; I ordered via the internet.

I set up my mythbox tonight and will be testing it over the upcoming weeks. If
need be, I'll get a pre-amp (I found a local shop that sells the Winegard one
that you mentioned previously).

Thanks for all your help and your wonderfully detailed explanations,

nick