2 cx18 based cards under mythtv in the same box.

I have a possibly urgent need to run up to five analog tuners in a mythtv
backend deployment and was considering a large motherboard with 5 X PCI
slots and a beefy powersupply, running 5 of the HVR-1600s.

Any knowledge on if this works or any reason it shouldn't if we're
theorizing?

Thanks,

-Jeff
Re: cx18: Multiple cards in one machine? Feedback? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 22:03 -0800, Jeff Campbell wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> Just wondering what experience, if any, is out there with running more
> than 2 cx18 based cards under mythtv in the same box.

Brandon Jenkins has 3 in a box and an HD-PVR connected via USB (IIRC)
blog: http://tvwhere.wordpress.com/
LMML: linux-media@vger.kernel.org

Mike Krufky had 5 in a box at one time (IIRC).
blog/company: http://kernellabs.com/
LMML: linux-media@vger.kernel.org
IRC: #v4l and #linuxtv @ freenode.net

> I have a possibly urgent need to run up to five analog tuners in a
> mythtv backend deployment and was considering a large motherboard with
> 5 X PCI slots and a beefy powersupply, running 5 of the HVR-1600s.
>
> Any knowledge on if this works or any reason it shouldn't if we're
> theorizing?

It should work. I would certainly recommend a machine with more than 2
CPU cores. You will not avoid having two cards share an interrupt line
- avoid using those simultaneously for best results. PCI bus bandwidth
will probably the limiting factor, if you perform 5 MPEG PS and 5 VBI
captures at once.

Perhaps a PCIe card solution would be more appropriate. Of course
that's probably a whole new learning curve or set of quirks to discover,
when one is used to CX23418 based cards.

You may want to contact Kernellabs.com, who consult on such issues:

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1123

if the need is critical enough. Because my free advice, at times, can
be worth every penny you pay for it. ;)

Regards,
Andy