Mailing List Archive

ARCH Linux, xorg-server 1.7.1 and ivtvfb
Hi,

Reposting here from 'ivtv-users' (realizing that this is maybe the better
place):

As ARCH Linux is always bleeding edge things tend to break sometimes. :-)

I "fixed" the 'xf86-video-ivtvfb' package in the AUR:

I would be happy to get feedback from people who actually know how to
fix this issue properly. I'm not feeling very comfortable just removing
the RAC code from the module.

Cheers

Andreas

--
Andreas Baumann
Trottenstrasse 20

Re: ARCH Linux, xorg-server 1.7.1 and ivtvfb [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 18:36 +0100, Andreas Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Reposting here from 'ivtv-users' (realizing that this is maybe the better
> place):
>

> As ARCH Linux is always bleeding edge things tend to break sometimes. :-)
>
> I "fixed" the 'xf86-video-ivtvfb' package in the AUR:

> I would be happy to get feedback from people who actually know how to
> fix this issue properly. I'm not feeling very comfortable just removing
> the RAC code from the module.

Andreas,

Well, I'm no expert on the ivtvfb driver for X, I can take a look at it.

However, right now I just tried to install Fedora 12 Beta in my machine
with my PVR-350 so I could work on ivtvfb and kernel 2.6.3[01] problem
reports, but the install just aborted on me.

I'll try and get to looking at it, but it could be a while. Is there
any Xorg documentation or mailing list posts explaining the deprecation
of the RAC calls and any possible replacement mechanism?

Regards,
Andy

Re: ARCH Linux, xorg-server 1.7.1 and ivtvfb [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 11 November 2009, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 18:36 +0100, Andreas Baumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > Reposting here from 'ivtv-users' (realizing that this is maybe the better
> > place):
> >

> > As ARCH Linux is always bleeding edge things tend to break sometimes. :-)
> >
> > I "fixed" the 'xf86-video-ivtvfb' package in the AUR:
> >
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23898
> >
> > I would be happy to get feedback from people who actually know how to
> > fix this issue properly. I'm not feeling very comfortable just removing
> > the RAC code from the module.
>
> Andreas,
>
> Well, I'm no expert on the ivtvfb driver for X, I can take a look at it.
>
> However, right now I just tried to install Fedora 12 Beta in my machine
> with my PVR-350 so I could work on ivtvfb and kernel 2.6.3[01] problem
> reports, but the install just aborted on me.
>
> I'll try and get to looking at it, but it could be a while. Is there
> any Xorg documentation or mailing list posts explaining the deprecation
> of the RAC calls and any possible replacement mechanism?

I was recently alerted to the problem with the ivtv X driver because of the
Fedora 12 Beta release. There should be a new driver release shortly that
fixes the problems with the new Xorg server.

For those that are interested, I've attached the patch, but you must run
autogen.sh after applying it.

--
Ian
Re: ARCH Linux, xorg-server 1.7.1 and ivtvfb [ In reply to ]
> > Reposting here from 'ivtv-users' (realizing that this
> is maybe the better
> > place):
> >

> > As ARCH Linux is always bleeding edge things tend to
> break sometimes. :-)
> >
> > I "fixed" the 'xf86-video-ivtvfb' package in the AUR:
> >
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23898
> >
> > I would be happy to get feedback from people who
> actually know how to
> > fix this issue properly. I'm not feeling very
> comfortable just removing
> > the RAC code from the module.
>

> Andreas,
>
> Well, I'm no expert on the ivtvfb driver for X, I can take
> a look at it.
>
> However, right now I just tried to install Fedora 12 Beta
> in my machine
> with my PVR-350 so I could work on ivtvfb and kernel
> 2.6.3[01] problem
> reports, but the install just aborted on me.
>
> I'll try and get to looking at it, but it could be a
> while.  Is there
> any Xorg documentation  or mailing list posts
> explaining the deprecation
> of the RAC calls and any possible replacement mechanism?

No, I just found a wiki entry about the VGA arbiter supposed to
replace RAC:

http://www.x.org/wiki/VgaArbiter

Greetings

Andreas