Mailing List Archive

AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD
here is the output from dmesg:

[ 12.064202] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[ 12.245832] ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
[ 12.245932] ivtv0: Initializing card 0
[ 12.245938] ivtv0: Unknown card: vendor/device: [4444:0016]
[ 12.245942] ivtv0: subsystem vendor/device: [1461:c019]
[ 12.245944] ivtv0: cx23416 based
[ 12.245945] ivtv0: Defaulting to Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 card
[ 12.245947] ivtv0: Please mail the vendor/device and subsystem
vendor/device IDs and what kind of
[ 12.245949] ivtv0: card you have to the ivtv-devel mailinglist
(www.ivtvdriver.org)
[ 12.245951] ivtv0: Prefix your subject line with [UNKNOWN IVTV CARD].

I am able to get a picture through Composite by changing the input to 2,
however, the picture is black and white. I am also able to get a picture
to come through SVideo by changing the input to 1, however, its black
and white and extremely snowy. There is no audio. Any help that you can
provide would be awesome. I will give you all the information that you
need. I am pretty new to linux, I am running Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit, my
kernel is 2.6.28-13-generic. I am a software engineer so I am pretty
savvy with the keyboard and the know how, however, this little gizmo has
thrown me for a loop.

Thanks in advance.

Todd Crown

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 00:44 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> here is the output from dmesg:
>
> [ 12.064202] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> [ 12.245832] ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
> [ 12.245932] ivtv0: Initializing card 0
> [ 12.245938] ivtv0: Unknown card: vendor/device: [4444:0016]
> [ 12.245942] ivtv0: subsystem vendor/device: [1461:c019]
> [ 12.245944] ivtv0: cx23416 based
> [ 12.245945] ivtv0: Defaulting to Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 card
> [ 12.245947] ivtv0: Please mail the vendor/device and subsystem
> vendor/device IDs and what kind of
> [ 12.245949] ivtv0: card you have to the ivtv-devel mailinglist
> (www.ivtvdriver.org)
> [ 12.245951] ivtv0: Prefix your subject line with [UNKNOWN IVTV CARD].
>
> I am able to get a picture through Composite by changing the input to 2,
> however, the picture is black and white. I am also able to get a picture
> to come through SVideo by changing the input to 1, however, its black
> and white and extremely snowy. There is no audio. Any help that you can
> provide would be awesome. I will give you all the information that you
> need. I am pretty new to linux, I am running Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit, my
> kernel is 2.6.28-13-generic. I am a software engineer so I am pretty
> savvy with the keyboard and the know how, however, this little gizmo has
> thrown me for a loop.

Well this should be pretty straight-forward if the card has no unsual
chips on it (can you provide a list?). It really means just adding an
appropriate card entry in ivtv-cards.c and adding a new card id to
ivtv-driver.[ch].

I can add a skeleton entry to an development repo in the next day or so
(family events are going on today), and then you'll have to follow a
process such as the one outlined here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ivtv-devel@ivtvdriver.org/msg05472.html

You could of course try to build the card entry yourself and follow the
process and not wait on me.

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 23:29 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> Seriously, thanks for the response. I was worried I wouldn't hear
> anything because I'm so new to the scene and my card is pretty old
> (4+years), so thanks, I really appreciate your help.
>
> As for the chips on the card, where could I find that? Would I need to
> take the card out for that, or find something on line of some sort?
> Here is a link to the newegg page for the card. I purchased in in 2006.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100008

Well the NewEgg pictures don't show the detail, plus they show two
different cards anyway. :(

The easiest thing is to pull out the card and write down the
numbers/letters on the chips. Also if you can gently peel back the
AverMedia sticker on the tuner can and see what the real part numbers
are on the analog tuner, that would save us a lot of guessing.

> As for adding a skeleton entry, you've lost me...

OK. If you can provide a list of chips on the card (or good, readable
digital photos), I can build up a skeleton entry.

> And as for following the process that is outlined in the link you
> provided, I think I can follow it, it's pretty straight forward.

Good.

> I hope your family events went/are going well; and seriously, thank
> you for taking time to help me.

You're welcome.

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 18:12 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> Ok, here is the best picture I could take of my card, my digicam is
> terrible, but, this one turned out pretty good. I have put red numbers
> on the chips and provided the information for each number below (even
> though you can read some of the numbers in the image, i figured i'd
> type them out anyways).
>
> 1:
> 74HC4052D
> AU62419
> Un80537D
>
> 2:
> AMS1117
> 0547
>
> 3:
> AMS1117
> 0547
>
> 4: OOPS, NO #4, forgot what number I was on when i was editing the image, sorry.
>
> 5:
> CONEXANT
> MPEG ii A/V ENCODER
> CX23416-22
> 0549Y1X6
> 0550 TAIWAN

PCI bridge/MPEG encoder, as expected.

> 6:
> ESMT
> M12L64322A- 7T
> LZN1P43YK 0545

Memory.

> 7:
> CONEXANT
> CX25841-23
> 41002767
> 0447 KPREA

Audio/Video Broadcast decoder.

> 8:
> UTC
> 78D05L
> JDSLA4
>
> 9:
> D286M5Y
>
> 10:
> WM
> XWM8739S
> 5AAFHT6

Audio digitizer chip for Line in audio.

> 11:
> V27.000
> KDSH5M

A 27 MHz crystal to generate a 54 MHz MPEG clock and other clocks.

Full support for your board should be doable. There will probably be
some nagging questions about details - what GPIO lines need to be set
for line in audio or FM radio - but base functionality should be easy to
achieve.

> I removed the sticker but found no numbers on the case, I only found
> the words "Philips". I am going to attempt to remove the case and see
> if there are any numbers for the tuner card an take a picture, but
> this will take some time as I would like to <i>not bash</i> my card.

Don't take the tuner can apart. I know what parts may be in there, but
opening up the can won't be terribly help. We'll just make some guesses
and the tuner will work OK.

The actual tuner can part number would have been on the small
rectangular sticker on the top of the can. Can you read through the
back of it, since it probably lifted off with the Avermedia sticker?

> Also, I do not really care if the tuner card works, as I am not going
> to be using it, so, if that data is not needed, than I will not gather
> it for you.

OK. I'll still make a guess.

> Once again, thanks for all the help.

Sure, give me a day or two. Iwon't have time to work on this for a few
days, but I already have a test repository set up for when I have
patches for you:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 11:38 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:

> So, it may be that we will have to guess on the tuner, unless there
> are some numbers else where that will lead us in the right direction
> as to what the tuner card is...

Todd,

I think I found the analog tuner used on your card: Philips FM1236MK5
(most likely)

Here
http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

is listed

1461 c019 UltraTV 1500 MCE, a.k.a. M113 PCI Analog TV (NTSC+FM, Philips FQ1236MK5 tuner)

But I know for a fact the FQ series doesn't have FM and your card does
have FM. This is likely a typo for the FM1236MK5.

See also this picture:

http://www.bttv-gallery.de/high/CardFront.jpg_avermedia_1461_c019_a.jpg

which shows an FM1236/F H-5 on the sticker.

And here, it looks like your card is a renamed variant of the AverMedia
M113 units:

http://www.bttv-gallery.de/high/index.html

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
Todd,

In a development repository, I have added a patch for the AVerMedia
UltraTV 1500 MCE (the newer version, which is an M113 variant):

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv/
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv/rev/ebb0ea04b057

Please test this change. It may be simplest to follow the "Bleeding
Edge" instructions here:

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download#Bleeding_Edge_driver

except substituting these links as the .bz2 or .gz link:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv/archive/tip.tar.bz2
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv/archive/tip.tar.gz

BTW, I think I have everything right. My concern is the 74HC4052 Dual
4:1 multiplxer control for audio. If you have audio for TV tuner and
Line-In, then I got it right (for the most part).

By inspection of the photo you sent me, I'm almost sure I got FM radio
audio correct as well. However, I think a recently introduced ivtv
driver bug for FM radio for boards with GPIO controlled audio
multiplexers (like this one) may prevent FM radio mode from working
properly. Don't be surprised.

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 18:12 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I followed the instructions you gave me and used the links you
> provided, however, I still have the exact same results as before.
>
> Here is the output from status log:
>
> Status Log:
>
> [21732.332328] ivtv0: ================= START STATUS CARD #0
> =================
> [21732.332332] ivtv0: Version: 1.4.0 Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
> [21732.333353] tveeprom 2-0050: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-6)?
> <4>[21732.333355] tveeprom 2-0050: Encountered bad packet header [18].
> Corrupt or not a Hauppauge eeprom.
[snip]
> It looks like it's not using your changes and that it's using the
> default: [21732.332332] ivtv0: Version: 1.4.0 Card: Hauppauge WinTV
> PVR-150
>
> Thoughts on how to change it to use what you added?

Todd,

$ cd ~
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv/archive/tip.tar.bz2
$ tar xjf tip.tar.bz2
$ cd ivtv-ebb0ea04b057
$ make <----------------- watch for errors during this process
$ su - root
# cd /home/todd/build/ivtv-ebb0ea04b057
# make install
# make unload; make unload
# modprobe ivtv

See if that works for you.

I have read that some Ubuntu versions can be problematic with this
installation procedure (said Ubuntu version puts modules in some
nonstandard place or something). I can't really help too much with
that. I've got Fedora systems.

To see all the ivtv modules installed on your system:

$ find /lib/modules -name "ivtv.*" -ls

Check the dates, and it should be obvious which one was installed by you
compiling the repository. The ivtv module you compiled will depend on
the versions of other modules (videodev, tveeprom, etc) that you
compiled. You'll have to figure out how to get your distro to use what
you compiled, if it doesn't appear to be doing so.

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 18:29 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> Also, in looking at http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv/rev/ebb0ea04b057:
>
> I noticed this:
>
> .video_inputs = {
> + { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_VID_TUNER, 0, CX25840_COMPOSITE2 },
> + { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_SVIDEO1, 1,
> + CX25840_SVIDEO_LUMA3 | CX25840_SVIDEO_CHROMA4 },
> + { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_COMPOSITE1, 1, CX25840_COMPOSITE1 },
> + }
>
> should it be: + { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_COMPOSITE1, 2, CX25840_COMPOSITE1 },
>
> where I changed the 1 to a 2 because the compisite1 is on 2 and svideo is on 1?

Todd,

Good initiative - but no. That index points to which .audio_inputs
entry to use when you switch to that .video_inputs entry.

> not sure, i'm just trying to debug it and get it working...

What is worth checking is that the PCI IDs in this:

+static const struct ivtv_card_pci_info ivtv_pci_aver_ultra1500mce[] = {
+ { PCI_DEVICE_ID_IVTV16, IVTV_PCI_ID_AVERMEDIA, 0xc019 },
+ { 0, 0, 0 }
+};

match what is shown for your card by

$ /sbin/lspci -nnv

I could have mistyped that.

> thoughts?
>
> Thanks so much Andy!

You're welcome.

Regards,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 12:38 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> Hey Andy, SUCCESS!
>
> although, i couldnt get it to recognize the entry you added, it kept
> going to the haugpaugh one, so, i edited the entry to read:
>
> static const struct ivtv_card_pci_info ivtv_pci_aver_ultra1500mce[] = {
> { PCI_DEVICE_ID_IVTV16, IVTV_PCI_ID_AVERMEDIA, 0xc019 },
> { 0, 0, 0 }
> };
>
> static const struct ivtv_card ivtv_card_pvr150 = {
> .type = IVTV_CARD_PVR_150,
> .name = "AverMedia Test Chroma5",
> .v4l2_capabilities = IVTV_CAP_ENCODER,
> .hw_video = IVTV_HW_CX25840,
> .hw_audio = IVTV_HW_CX25840,
> .hw_audio_ctrl = IVTV_HW_CX25840,
> .hw_muxer = IVTV_HW_GPIO,
> .hw_all = IVTV_HW_CX25840 | IVTV_HW_TUNER |
> IVTV_HW_WM8739 | IVTV_HW_GPIO,
> .video_inputs = {
> { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_VID_TUNER, 0, CX25840_COMPOSITE2 },
> { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_SVIDEO1, 1, CX25840_SVIDEO3 },
> /*CX25840_SVIDEO_LUMA3 | CX25840_SVIDEO_CHROMA4 },*/
> { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_COMPOSITE1, 1, CX25840_COMPOSITE1 },
> },
> .audio_inputs = {
> { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_AUD_TUNER, CX25840_AUDIO5, 0 },
> { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_LINE_IN1, CX25840_AUDIO_SERIAL, 1 },
> },
> .radio_input = { IVTV_CARD_INPUT_AUD_TUNER, CX25840_AUDIO_SERIAL, 2 },
> /* The 74HC4502 Dual 4:1 multiplexer is controlled by 2 GPIO lines */
> .gpio_init = { .direction = 0xc000, .initial_value = 0 },
> .gpio_audio_input = { .mask = 0xc000,
> .tuner = 0x0000,
> .linein = 0x4000,
> .radio = 0x8000 },
> .tuners = {
> /* The UltraTV 1500 MCE has a Philips FM1236 MK5 TV/FM tuner */
> { .std = V4L2_STD_MN, .tuner = TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3 },
> },
> .pci_list = ivtv_pci_aver_ultra1500mce,
> .i2c = &ivtv_i2c_std,
> };
>
> and moved the static const struct ivtv_pci_aver_ultra1500mce above it
> so i could use it within.
>
> I also changed the svideo setting, and it works now, so all is dandy
>
> i'm not sure why it wouldnt grab your entry and kept defaulting, but
> it works now, so i'm cool with it.

Although your workaround works for you, I unfortunately can't have it go
in for anyone else. Your workaround changes the default from a PVR-150
card configuration to your card configuration (claiming to be a PVR-150:
IVTV-CARD_PVR_150).

PCI ID detection appears to be failing. I'm not sure what's wrong yet.

Could you provide the output of

$ /sbin/lspci -nnv

for your system. I'm only interested in the CX23415 or CX23416 based
devices.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: AVERMEDIA MULTRA MCE 1500 CARD - UNKNOWN IVTV CARD [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 14:35 -0400, Todd Crown wrote:
> I just output it all to a text file, here is the text file
>

> > PCI ID detection appears to be failing. I'm not sure what's wrong yet.
> >
> > Could you provide the output of
> >
> > $ /sbin/lspci -nnv
> >
> > for your system. I'm only interested in the CX23415 or CX23416 based
> > devices.

Thanks, Todd. I'm pretty sure, I've found the problem now. I forgot to
add the AVerMedia UltraTV 1500MCE to the ivtv_card_list[] array in
ivtv-cards.c. Oops! :/

I've commited a patch here:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/ivtv

it should work.