Mailing List Archive

Re: [ivtv-users] CX18 audio interference
On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 16:52 -0400, faginbagin wrote:

> >> Yes, it seems to do the trick!
> >
> > Good!
> >
> > Now I have lots of confusing code borrowed from the cx25840 module to
> > straighten up. Ugh! Don't look for a patch worth testing until next
> > weekend.
>
> No problem. I've put that set register command in my /etc/rc.local so
> I've got a workaround that should survive a reboot.

Helen,

I have a patch for testing at:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/rev/9beb99150ab1

Helen and ivtv-devel list readers,

This patch needs some tests run:

1. Check that sound is better with the NTSC tuner
2. Check that S-Video and/or Composite in with NTSC didn't break
3. Check that switching back to the tuner, sound is still OK.
4. Check that PAL & SECAM still work on SVideo and/or Composite
5. Check that PAL and/or SECAM tuner sound is OK.

I'll try and test what I can during the course of this week. I have
high confidence that nothing is working worse than before :), but I
can't check OTA PAL or SECAM (Maybe someone with a Compro H900 can
check?).

Since this bug was inhereted from the cx25840 module, I'm wondering if
this is the cause of the PVR-150 tinny audio. If I can reproduce the
tinny audio with my PVR-150MCE, I'll try to experiment with having the
SIF gain controlled by the audio decoder (the correct thing todo) versus
the video decoder (the wrong thing todo) of the CX2584x. This change
can, with some difficulty, be ported to the cx25840 module, if that
fixes the tinny audio.

Regards,
Andy

Re: [ivtv-users] CX18 audio interference [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

> I have a patch for testing at:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/rev/9beb99150ab1
>

> Helen and ivtv-devel list readers,
>
> This patch needs some tests run:
>
> 1. Check that sound is better with the NTSC tuner
> 2. Check that S-Video and/or Composite in with NTSC didn't break
> 3. Check that switching back to the tuner, sound is still OK.
> 4. Check that PAL & SECAM still work on SVideo and/or Composite
> 5. Check that PAL and/or SECAM tuner sound is OK.
>
> I'll try and test what I can during the course of this week. I have
> high confidence that nothing is working worse than before :), but I
> can't check OTA PAL or SECAM (Maybe someone with a Compro H900 can
> check?).
>

> Since this bug was inhereted from the cx25840 module, I'm wondering if
> this is the cause of the PVR-150 tinny audio. If I can reproduce the
> tinny audio with my PVR-150MCE, I'll try to experiment with having the
> SIF gain controlled by the audio decoder (the correct thing todo) versus
> the video decoder (the wrong thing todo) of the CX2584x. This change
> can, with some difficulty, be ported to the cx25840 module, if that
> fixes the tinny audio.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

I downloaded the cx18-av-core repo and tested 1-3. Sound was good on a
couple of the previously bad channels, 29 & 41. Switching to input 1,
sound was still good, switching back to input 0, sound was still good on
channels 41 & 29.

Let me know if there's more I should do. I'll keep this version
installed & make sure all is still well with mythtv.

Helen

Re: [ivtv-users] CX18 audio interference [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> writes:

>> > Good!
>> >
>> > Now I have lots of confusing code borrowed from the cx25840 module to
>> > straighten up. Ugh! Don't look for a patch worth testing until next
>> > weekend.
>>
>> No problem. I've put that set register command in my /etc/rc.local so
>> I've got a workaround that should survive a reboot.
>
> Helen,
>
> I have a patch for testing at:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/rev/9beb99150ab1

this patch fixed my NTSC audio issues.

thanks andy,

Re: [ivtv-users] CX18 audio interference [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 13:38 -0400, faginbagin wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> > I have a patch for testing at:
> >
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/rev/9beb99150ab1
> >

> > Helen and ivtv-devel list readers,
> >
> > This patch needs some tests run:
> >
> > 1. Check that sound is better with the NTSC tuner
> > 2. Check that S-Video and/or Composite in with NTSC didn't break
> > 3. Check that switching back to the tuner, sound is still OK.
> > 4. Check that PAL & SECAM still work on SVideo and/or Composite
> > 5. Check that PAL and/or SECAM tuner sound is OK.
> >
> > I'll try and test what I can during the course of this week. I have
> > high confidence that nothing is working worse than before :), but I
> > can't check OTA PAL or SECAM (Maybe someone with a Compro H900 can
> > check?).
> >

> > Since this bug was inhereted from the cx25840 module, I'm wondering if
> > this is the cause of the PVR-150 tinny audio. If I can reproduce the
> > tinny audio with my PVR-150MCE, I'll try to experiment with having the
> > SIF gain controlled by the audio decoder (the correct thing todo) versus
> > the video decoder (the wrong thing todo) of the CX2584x. This change
> > can, with some difficulty, be ported to the cx25840 module, if that
> > fixes the tinny audio.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
>
> I downloaded the cx18-av-core repo and tested 1-3. Sound was good on a
> couple of the previously bad channels, 29 & 41. Switching to input 1,
> sound was still good, switching back to input 0, sound was still good on
> channels 41 & 29.

Good. I'm assuming your audio issues are resolved.

I was able to run tests 1-3 with Composite as the alternate input (I
need to dig up an S-Video cable), and test 4 with PAL as output by a
PVR-350 into the HVR-1600's composite. Things were all OK - so I don't
think I broke anything.

Daniel provided positive feedback on the ivtv-devel list as well. I'll
probably ask this to get pulled to the main v4l-dvb repo soon.

Regards,
Andy

Re: [ivtv-users] CX18 audio interference [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:10 -0400, Daniel Flesner wrote:
> Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> writes:

> > I have a patch for testing at:
> >
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/rev/9beb99150ab1
> >

> this patch fixed my NTSC audio issues.

Great. Thanks for the testing and report.

> thanks andy,

You're welcome.

Regards,
Andy

Re: [ivtv-users] CX18 audio interference [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

>>> I have a patch for testing at:
>>>
>>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/
>>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-av-core/rev/9beb99150ab1
>>>
>>> Helen and ivtv-devel list readers,
>>>
>>> This patch needs some tests run:
>>>
>>> 1. Check that sound is better with the NTSC tuner
>>> 2. Check that S-Video and/or Composite in with NTSC didn't break
>>> 3. Check that switching back to the tuner, sound is still OK.
>>> 4. Check that PAL & SECAM still work on SVideo and/or Composite
>>> 5. Check that PAL and/or SECAM tuner sound is OK.
>>>
>>> I'll try and test what I can during the course of this week. I have
>>> high confidence that nothing is working worse than before :), but I
>>> can't check OTA PAL or SECAM (Maybe someone with a Compro H900 can
>>> check?).
>>>
>>> Since this bug was inhereted from the cx25840 module, I'm wondering if
>>> this is the cause of the PVR-150 tinny audio. If I can reproduce the
>>> tinny audio with my PVR-150MCE, I'll try to experiment with having the
>>> SIF gain controlled by the audio decoder (the correct thing todo) versus
>>> the video decoder (the wrong thing todo) of the CX2584x. This change
>>> can, with some difficulty, be ported to the cx25840 module, if that
>>> fixes the tinny audio.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andy

>> I downloaded the cx18-av-core repo and tested 1-3. Sound was good on a
>> couple of the previously bad channels, 29 & 41. Switching to input 1,
>> sound was still good, switching back to input 0, sound was still good on
>> channels 41 & 29.
>
> Good. I'm assuming your audio issues are resolved.

Yes, and sounds good on mythtv, too.

> I was able to run tests 1-3 with Composite as the alternate input (I
> need to dig up an S-Video cable), and test 4 with PAL as output by a
> PVR-350 into the HVR-1600's composite. Things were all OK - so I don't
> think I broke anything.
>
> Daniel provided positive feedback on the ivtv-devel list as well. I'll
> probably ask this to get pulled to the main v4l-dvb repo soon.

Many thanks,
Helen