Mailing List Archive

cx18: Raw VBI working much better, sliced VBI close to working
I've made some patches to the cx18 driver in efforts to get sliced VBI
working and in the process have fixed up raw VBI as well.

Changes for those who care are at

http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-sliced-vbi

The goods:

1. Trying to turn on Sliced VBI will no longer cause random reboots.

2. The VBI mode you've set (Raw or Sliced) when you start the first
analog stream is the one you have to use until all analog streams stop.
You can change sliced service parameters if in sliced mode, but you
can't switch between raw and sliced unless you stop all analog captures.
This is a firmware imposed rule.

3. Sliced or Raw VBI can now be stopped and started while an analog
video capture is ongoing.

The bads:

4. Sliced VBI is *not* working, but it is very close to working. I
think what's left is all AV core configuration problems. I'm getting
sliced Closed Captioning data on a line in each field from the AV core
slicer, but I think it's failing the odd parity check. I also think it
may have the wrong line number due to AV core configuration.

5. I have not tested insertion of sliced data into the MPEG PS. It may
work, but it won't be very interesting until I get sliced data from the
digitizer properly.

6. If you try to turn on Sliced VBI insertion into the MPEG stream
while running a analog capture with TS output format, the routines will
blindy try to insert sliced VBI into the TS as if it were a PS. So
don't do that. :)

7. I'm not sure the VBI slicer code number I have for VPS is correct due
to discrepancies. If trying to test/debug sliced VBI, test with
something other than VPS first.

8. The VBI transfer buffer sizes won't be the right size for assumptions
made in the driver regarding raw VBI, if using say a 625 line standard
(i.e. PAL) on line-in when your card has a 525 line standard (i.e. NTSC)
tuner. Raw VBI may not come out as expected in this case.

Regards,
Andy