I have a pet project with tight power requirements.

I any one can answer I would be grateful.

Rune Petersen

Re: Question: PVR-150/500 power usage [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Rune Petersen <rune@megahurts.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is a little off topic, but... =)
>

> Does anyone have an idea as to how much power a PVR-150 or an PVR-500
> draws from the PCI bus?
>
> I have a pet project with tight power requirements.

Less than 10W. I can test this today if you want a more accurate number.

John

Re: Question: PVR-150/500 power usage [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 00:01 +0100, Rune Petersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is a little off topic, but... =)
>

> Does anyone have an idea as to how much power a PVR-150 or an PVR-500
> draws from the PCI bus?

You'll probably have to build an estimate from publicly available
datasheets.

A CX28543 chip in BT.656 Pixel mode (the mode used by ivtv) draws a
maximum 170 mA @ 3.3V plus 310 mA @ 1.25V all on it's own - according to
the publicly available datasheet.

The analog tuner mixer/oscillator, analog tuner IF demodulator, the
CX23416, the audio digtizer/mux, and the power regulation circuits are
the other big power dissipation items. You've got a shot at finding
public data on the tuner chips and the voltage regulators. The CX23416
you'll just have to make a guess.

> I have a pet project with tight power requirements.

You could probably just e-mail Hauppaugue and ask.

Regards,
Andy

Re: Question: PVR-150/500 power usage [ In reply to ]
I asked Hauppage this some time ago. IIRC the answer was 5W for a 150, so I
assume 10W for a 500.

-Jeff

Re: Question: PVR-150/500 power usage [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Rune Petersen <rune@megahurts.dk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know this is a little off topic, but... =)
>>

>> Does anyone have an idea as to how much power a PVR-150 or an PVR-500
>> draws from the PCI bus?
>>
>> I have a pet project with tight power requirements.
>>

> Less than 10W. I can test this today if you want a more accurate number.

PVR500 = 8W at idle ( measured at the wall using kill a watt meter) is
added to my Q9550 system (1 kworld 115 + 3 sata hard drives + nvidia
gforce 7200 + 6GB memory with cpu at idle) with the card added versus
not in the system. I can try recording something and get new numbers
if you want. Before pvr500, 110W after 118W.

https://www.chooserenewables.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16154&cat=266&page=1

John

Re: Question: PVR-150/500 power usage [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Rune Petersen <rune@megahurts.dk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I know this is a little off topic, but... =)
>>>

>>> Does anyone have an idea as to how much power a PVR-150 or an PVR-500
>>> draws from the PCI bus?
>>>
>>> I have a pet project with tight power requirements.
>>>

>> Less than 10W. I can test this today if you want a more accurate number.
>>

> PVR500 = 8W at idle ( measured at the wall using kill a watt meter) is
> added to my Q9550 system (1 kworld 115 + 3 sata hard drives + nvidia
> gforce 7200 + 6GB memory with cpu at idle) with the card added versus
> not in the system. I can try recording something and get new numbers
> if you want. Before pvr500, 110W after 118W.
>
> https://www.chooserenewables.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16154&cat=266&page=1

10W total with the ivtv driver loaded. No difference if the device is
recording or not. I tried 2 channels.
cat /dev/video1 > test1
cat /dev/video2 > test2

This # would include any added cpu and disk load as well. Obviously
there was not much..

John

Re: Question: PVR-150/500 power usage [ In reply to ]
John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Less than 10W. I can test this today if you want a more accurate number.
>>>
>> PVR500 = 8W at idle ( measured at the wall using kill a watt meter) is
>> added to my Q9550 system (1 kworld 115 + 3 sata hard drives + nvidia
>> gforce 7200 + 6GB memory with cpu at idle) with the card added versus
>> not in the system. I can try recording something and get new numbers
>> if you want. Before pvr500, 110W after 118W.
>>
>> https://www.chooserenewables.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16154&cat=266&page=1
>>

> 10W total with the ivtv driver loaded. No difference if the device is
> recording or not. I tried 2 channels.
> cat /dev/video1 > test1
> cat /dev/video2 > test2
>
> This # would include any added cpu and disk load as well. Obviously
> there was not much..
>
> John

Thank you for the numbers and sorry for not replying sooner.

The power constraint is measured at the psu. so a rough estimate for an
PVR-500 would be:

When powering up: 7W
After driver has loaded: 8W

It's is a bit tight considering I only have 20 Watts to play with, but
it will be fun to try.

Again thank you for your help.

Rune Petersen