------------- -------------- ----------------------
From: Lee
Re: S.O.S -- Firewall Setup Plan [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think that you can do that.
However, make subnet could be more secure if your firewalls doesn't work properly. Isn't it?

--
(o_.' Imobach González Sosa
//\c{} imobachgs@softhome.net

Creo que tal vez haya mercado para cinco ordenadores.
-- Thomas Watson, presidente de IBM, 1943 --
RE: S.O.S -- Firewall Setup Plan [ In reply to ]
The problem is that subnetting gets tricky if your not just spliting in half
, and you lose some address when you do that.

The best option is to use internal (192.168.1.x) addresses and have the
firewall do simple SNAT for you. Any machines that then need to be exposed
(eg web servers and mail) you can add more NAT rules and IP aliases. This
means that only boxes you want are exposed and all the others look like the
connections come from the firewall.

Another option (which I'm going to try) is 1-1 NAT, i.e. have the firewall
NAT 1.2.3.x to 192.168.1.x where x is the host number in both prerouting
and postrouting (you can use the NETMAP patch for this). Also you need to
have the firewall respond to ARP requests for the internal boxes by adding
aliases to the right network interface. To the outside you then appear to
have a normal network on normal address. This is slightly more insecure, as
all the boxes are "exposed" but if the firewall design is good then it
shouldn't be too bad.

Re: S.O.S -- Firewall Setup Plan [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your suggestion. But, because I have 32 real ip addresses and 15
workstations, 4 servers (web, mail, DNS) in my local network.
I wondered how i can build a firewall in front of my network with all 'real'
ip addresses? The reason is that i host 50 around web sites with 20 ip
addresses and i don't want to change any address for them...

From: