Mailing List Archive

Re: iptables/mac address filtering question (nfcan: to exclusive)
On 08/11/2007 01:46:51 PM, Jay Sprenkle - jsprenkle@gmail.com wrote:

> I've put in a rule in my iptables chain but notice when I try to
> connect it's rejected. The mac address I'm getting is not the same as
> what iwconfig reports on my device. If a packet is passed through
> routers on it's way to my box do they change the mac address of the
> packet?

Yes, the MAC address is lost when a packet leaves an ethernet segment.
Recall that a MAC address is how devices sharing an ethernet address each other.
Routers operate on IP addresses and do not use or preserve ethernet addresses.
Maybe bridging, if you could do that, would preserve the MAC address.

Jim Laurino
nfcan.x.jimlaur@dfgh.net
Please reply to the list.
Only mail from the listserver reaches this address.