Mailing List Archive

Kernel Hangs after hook registration
Hi everybody,

I'm developing an audio sink in an ethernet rtp stream communication using
an embedded platform. For this purpose I had to write an I2S driver to send
the sound info to an external amplifier. In order to decrease the memory and
CPU usage I'm planning to use a hook to intercept the RTP stream and copy it
directly to the I2S driver.
The I2S driver registers an audio device under ALSA.
Right now the hook is not implemented and I'm using a small example that
intercepts a packet and if it's a RTP packet
The problem I've found when I modify the I2S driver to include the hook
registration is that the system hangs and can not be recovered once the hook
is registered. However, if I try to register the hook on a separated module
it works fine, so it's not a problem of the hook function (always returns
NF_ACCEPT).
For some design requirements, implementing the hook and the I2S audio driver
together is encouraged.
I thought that it could be a problem of initialization or something so I
compiled alsa as a module, but it has the same behaviour.

Anybody has a clue why this hang may happen?

I'm using a 2.6.16 kernel for an MPC5200 platform.

Thanks in advance.

Pedro L. Domínguez

¿Estás pensando en cambiar de coche? Todas los modelos de serie y extras en
MSN Motor. http://motor.msn.es/researchcentre/