Mailing List Archive

Best way to change perl on Centos7
I moved my sites to a new Centos7 server and so far they run pretty
well. I was considering changing to an unthreaded perl. What's the best
way to do this? I'd like to leave the system perl in place but have
Interchange use the new perl. Maybe perlbrew installed as the interch user?

DB

Re: Best way to change perl on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
On 08/20/2015 04:06 AM, DB wrote:
> I moved my sites to a new Centos7 server and so far they run pretty
> well. I was considering changing to an unthreaded perl. What's the best
> way to do this? I'd like to leave the system perl in place but have
> Interchange use the new perl. Maybe perlbrew installed as the interch user?

Yes, we are doing this (with perl 5.20).
Install perlbrew + install Interchange with the brewed perl.

Regards
Racke

--
Perl and Dancer Development

Visit our Perl::Dancer conference 2015.
More information on https://www.perl.dance.

Re: Best way to change perl on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, DB wrote:

> I moved my sites to a new Centos7 server and so far they run pretty
> well. I was considering changing to an unthreaded perl. What's the best
> way to do this? I'd like to leave the system perl in place but have
> Interchange use the new perl. Maybe perlbrew installed as the interch
> user?

We have been using plenv to build perl on CentOS 7:

https://github.com/tokuhirom/plenv

Our reasons for preferring it over perlbrew are similar to those
described in this blog post:

http://weblog.bulknews.net/post/58079418600/plenv-alternative-for-perlbrew

I prefer to build custom RPMs for Perl and the CPAN modules so they
install more quickly and without needing development libraries installed,
etc. We've done that in the past for RHEL/CentOS 3, 4, 5, and 6, but it's
a lot of work to set all that up and we haven't done if for 7 yet.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation