Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
On 10/18/2015 09:01 PM, Gert van der Spoel wrote:
> For the 'old' demo there is a page that directs people to the admin or
> customer facing area, including credentials, no?

Yes, and the admin passwords have always been encrypted but this has not
posed a problem for the demo in the past.

> Also agreeing with Peter about (randomly) switching on/off that demo flag
> (not sure if one would ever want to do that, but people are amazing :)) that
> that would create scenarios which require all kinds of extra work to keep
> things 'in line' ...

Right, the scenario of switching back and forth may be a bit far
fetched, but it is certainly a possibility and if the site falls to
pieces because of one boolean being toggled back a forth it does not
look good for Interchange.

Peter

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
Quoting Jon Jensen (jon@endpoint.com):

> >>I think it's done! V1.11 is up in CPAN.
> >
> >And in Bundle-Interchange-1.07 too.
>
> Looks good in Bundle::Interchange, but I got this error with
> Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink:
>
> % cpanm Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink
> --> Working on Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink
> Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/M/MI/MIKEH/Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.11.tar.gz ... OK
> Configuring Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.11 ... OK
> ==> Found dependencies: previous
> ! Finding previous on cpanmetadb failed.
> ! Finding previous () on mirror http://www.cpan.org failed.
> ! Couldn't find module or a distribution previous
> ! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'previous' is not installed
> ! Bailing out the installation for Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.11.
>
> Also, running perldoc again the 1.10 version of
> Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink I got this error:
>
> POD ERRORS
> Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below:
>
> Around line 216:
> You forgot a '=back' before '=head1'

The previous version was the same. They must have improved the tests
-- no one ever reported that before. In any case, fixed!

--
Mike Heins
End Point -- Expert Internet Consulting http://www.endpoint.com/

It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams
because they grow old, they grow old because they
stop pursuing dreams. -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
On 10/18/2015 02:49 AM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015, Josh Lavin wrote:
>
>>> 1. Customer and affiliate passwords should be encrypted with bcrypt, not plain text. I think the time for allowing plain text storage of passwords is long past and IC is perfectly capable of using the current recommendation for this which is bcrypt.
>>
>> I put this on the #interchange channel, but the reason we don't use crypt in Strap at this point, is because of the demo mode. We want to keep plain-text passwords for the demo users, so you can look in the database and see what a user's password is, to login to their account.
>
> That doesn't seem like a compelling reason to me. Much more important to do the right thing by default for real sites, I think. Demos are temporary, but real ecommerce sites are forever. :)
>
> For the demo, can't we just show in plain text what the logins are on the login page itself?
>
> Jon

I agree with Jon as well ... strong crypt should be the default, a lot of Interchange
projects started from the demos.

Regards
Racke

--
Perl and Dancer Development

Visit our Perl::Dancer conference 2015.
More information on https://www.perl.dance.

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015, Mike Heins wrote:

>> Looks good in Bundle::Interchange, but I got this error with
>> Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink:
>>
>> % cpanm Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink
>> --> Working on Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink
>> Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/M/MI/MIKEH/Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.11.tar.gz ... OK
>> Configuring Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.11 ... OK
>> ==> Found dependencies: previous
>> ! Finding previous on cpanmetadb failed.
>> ! Finding previous () on mirror http://www.cpan.org failed.
>> ! Couldn't find module or a distribution previous
>> ! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'previous' is not installed
>> ! Bailing out the installation for Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.11.
>>
>> Also, running perldoc again the 1.10 version of
>> Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink I got this error:
>>
>> POD ERRORS
>> Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below:
>>
>> Around line 216:
>> You forgot a '=back' before '=head1'
>
> The previous version was the same. They must have improved the tests
> -- no one ever reported that before. In any case, fixed!

Hmm. Did you change anything besides the POD? I don't think the POD was
the cause of the build error. I'm still getting the same build error:

% cpanm Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink
--> Working on Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/M/MI/MIKEH/Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.12.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.12 ... OK
==> Found dependencies: previous
! Finding previous on cpanmetadb failed.
! Finding previous () on mirror http://www.cpan.org failed.
! Couldn't find module or a distribution previous
! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'previous' is not installed
! Bailing out the installation for Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.12.

Can anyone else give this a try? I guess it's possible it's specific to my
environment (plenv 2.1.1-31-g8f786e9 with Perl 5.22.0).

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 19, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Jon Jensen <jon@endpoint.com> wrote:
>
> ! Couldn't find module or a distribution previous
> ! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'previous' is not installed
> ! Bailing out the installation for Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.12.
>
> Can anyone else give this a try? I guess it's possible it's specific to my environment (plenv 2.1.1-31-g8f786e9 with Perl 5.22.0).
>
> Jon

I also am running into this issue; I have to assume this is a mistake in one of the dependency lists.

--
David Christensen
PostgreSQL Team Manager

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:16 AM, David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 19, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Jon Jensen <jon@endpoint.com> wrote:
>>
>> ! Couldn't find module or a distribution previous
>> ! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'previous' is not installed
>> ! Bailing out the installation for Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.12.
>>
>> Can anyone else give this a try? I guess it's possible it's specific to my environment (plenv 2.1.1-31-g8f786e9 with Perl 5.22.0).
>>
>> Jon
>
> I also am running into this issue; I have to assume this is a mistake in one of the dependency lists.

I’m unclear of how the Bundle::* modules work, but in the `=head1 CONTENTS` section, there’s this fragment:

[…]

Crypt::Random

previous session without the requirement for a "cookie" or other persistent

=head1 DESCRIPTION

--
David Christensen
PostgreSQL Team Manager

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:19 AM, David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:16 AM, David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 19, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Jon Jensen <jon@endpoint.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ! Couldn't find module or a distribution previous
>>> ! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'previous' is not installed
>>> ! Bailing out the installation for Bundle-InterchangeKitchenSink-1.12.
>>>
>>> Can anyone else give this a try? I guess it's possible it's specific to my environment (plenv 2.1.1-31-g8f786e9 with Perl 5.22.0).
>>>
>>> Jon
>>
>> I also am running into this issue; I have to assume this is a mistake in one of the dependency lists.
>
> I’m unclear of how the Bundle::* modules work, but in the `=head1 CONTENTS` section, there’s this fragment:
>
> […]
>
> Crypt::Random
>
> previous session without the requirement for a "cookie" or other persistent
>
> =head1 DESCRIPTION

Yup, after reading the CPAN docs, that’s exactly what it’s doing, so this looks like an isolated comment string that got put in the wrong place.

Mike, can you fix and reupload?

Thanks,

David
--
David Christensen
PostgreSQL Team Manager

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
Quoting David Christensen (david@endpoint.com):

> >> I also am running into this issue; I have to assume this is a mistake in one of the dependency lists.
> >
> > I’m unclear of how the Bundle::* modules work, but in the `=head1 CONTENTS` section, there’s this fragment:
> >
> > […]
> >
> > Crypt::Random
> >
> > previous session without the requirement for a "cookie" or other persistent
> >
> > =head1 DESCRIPTION
>
> Yup, after reading the CPAN docs, that’s exactly what it’s doing, so this looks like an isolated comment string that got put in the wrong place.
>
> Mike, can you fix and reupload?

Yup, done. Sorry for the trouble.

--
Mike Heins
End Point -- Expert Internet Consulting http://www.endpoint.com/
phone +1.765.253.4194 <mikeh@endpoint.com>

The U.S. Senate -- white male millionaires working for YOU! -- Dave Barry

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting David Christensen (david@endpoint.com):

>>> I’m unclear of how the Bundle::* modules work, but in the `=head1 CONTENTS` section, there’s this fragment:
>>>
>>> […]
>>>
>>> Crypt::Random
>>>
>>> previous session without the requirement for a "cookie" or other persistent
>>>
>>> =head1 DESCRIPTION
>> Yup, after reading the CPAN docs, that’s exactly what it’s doing, so this looks like an isolated comment string that got put in the wrong place.
>>
>> Mike, can you fix and reupload?
>>
> Yup, done. Sorry for the trouble.

I couldn't wait for you to do that Mike. I'm just about in production.
It took at least three serious hacks and then returning to mysql from
pgsql after it couldn't deliver simple options reliably. I wrote my own
product_tree and had AU shipping working before what looks like a
recovery from a database nightmare.

https://www.kenyan-curios.com/

Thankyou I like it.

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Mike Heins wrote:

>> Yup, after reading the CPAN docs, that’s exactly what it’s doing, so
>> this looks like an isolated comment string that got put in the wrong
>> place.
>>
>> Mike, can you fix and reupload?
>
> Yup, done. Sorry for the trouble.

Works great now. Thanks, Mike!

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation
Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
Quoting Peter (peter@pajamian.dhs.org):
> On 08/08/2015 12:10 PM, Josh Lavin wrote:
> > The "Strap" template which Greg Hanson and I have been working on for a
> > couple years now has been updated to Bootstrap 3.x latest.
> >
> > If you weren't aware, Strap is a new template for IC 5.x, which is
> > completely modern HTML5 + CSS. It is based on the Bootstrap Framework,
> > and includes several improvements, such as SEO-friendly results,
> > better gift certs, checkout with usability features, etc (see more in
> > the link below).
> >
> > In preparation for replacing the old "standard" template for IC, I could
> > use some help in reviewing the "strap" template, to ensure it is ready
> > for prime-time.
>
> I just got around to having a look at some of the code for this and have
> a couple of suggestions:
>
> 1. Customer and affiliate passwords should be encrypted with bcrypt,
> not plain text. I think the time for allowing plain text storage of
> passwords is long past and IC is perfectly capable of using the current
> recommendation for this which is bcrypt.
>
> 2. Not a strap issue, but admin passwords should also be bcrypt now,
> not old crypt.

Thanks, Peter. These have both been addressed, and pushed live.

--
Josh Lavin
End Point Corporation

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
On 11/19/2015 11:19 AM, Josh Lavin wrote:
> Thanks, Peter. These have both been addressed, and pushed live.

I saw that, thanks Josh.

Peter

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
With Strap now merged into IC 5.10 as the default demo catalog just
wondering what the plans are for maintaining it in the git
repositories i.e. Strap here: https://github.com/jdigory/strap vs
Strap demo in IC here: https://github.com/interchange/interchange

Like would I be better of forking the Strap repository or IC repository?

Re: For review - new Strap template for Interchange 5 [ In reply to ]
Quoting Klaatu IC (icgort33@gmail.com):
> With Strap now merged into IC 5.10 as the default demo catalog just
> wondering what the plans are for maintaining it in the git
> repositories i.e. Strap here: https://github.com/jdigory/strap vs
> Strap demo in IC here: https://github.com/interchange/interchange
>
> Like would I be better of forking the Strap repository or IC repository?

It's likely that my personal repository (jdigory) will fall behind, so I
would recommend using it from the interchange repo.

--
Josh Lavin
End Point Corporation