Mailing List Archive

new tutorial problem?
hello all,
first of all: congratulations to akopia for the new
tutorial. it's really easy to understand, and very
usefull.

although I'm experiencing a small problem which I'm
not able to solve :-(

Every time I try to checkout after filling in all the
forms in checkout.html, I always go to needfield.html.
This says I forgot some important fields, but it
doesn't say which as it should.
Problem is I did fill in all the forms.

I allready checked all the spelling of the checkout
pages (even copy-paste from the tutorial), tried
removing all the "required"'s in profiles.order,
upgraded to the newest interchange 4.6.2,... but I
never get it to receipt.html

What could be my problem? My construct demo-catalog
works fine. I'm using redhat 7.

thank you very much

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
Quoting johny brabo (schurkmaster@yahoo.com):
> hello all,
> first of all: congratulations to akopia for the new
> tutorial. it's really easy to understand, and very
> usefull.
>
> although I'm experiencing a small problem which I'm
> not able to solve :-(
>
> Every time I try to checkout after filling in all the
> forms in checkout.html, I always go to needfield.html.
> This says I forgot some important fields, but it
> doesn't say which as it should.
> Problem is I did fill in all the forms.
>
> I allready checked all the spelling of the checkout
> pages (even copy-paste from the tutorial), tried
> removing all the "required"'s in profiles.order,
> upgraded to the newest interchange 4.6.2,... but I
> never get it to receipt.html
>
> What could be my problem? My construct demo-catalog
> works fine. I'm using redhat 7.
>
> thank you very much

When something like this happens, make a page which has just
this in it:

<XMP>[dump]</XMP>

Then access that page.

It should give the value of your session, and you will find
a top-level key in the session information called "errors".
Look at that and see if the information is there.

--
Akopia, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH 45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".
new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
> Every time I try to checkout after filling in all the
> forms in checkout.html, I always go to needfield.html.
> This says I forgot some important fields, but it
> doesn't say which as it should.
> Problem is I did fill in all the forms.

I had this happen too when I was testing out my new Interchange 4.6.1
installation. I don't recall exactly what it was but it did appear to be a
bug of some type, I think it may have been that the credit card number was
failing the mod-whatever check It was the same symptom though, it would say
that an important field had been left out but no field was highlighted. I
used trial and error to determine which field it was and I am pretty sure it
was the CC number. I didn't worry too much about it at the time because I
figured I could correct the issue later.

Jeff
Re:new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
Mike Heins wrote:

[...]

There were no errors in this page you suggested. I
copied a bit of the page: see below. As you can see
all of the necessary values are there, so I shouldn't
go to needfield but to receipt.html and finish the
order.

For the reply of jeff dafoe:
I tried to comment out the part of the page with the
credit card information, and removed this line from
profiles.order:

&credit_card=standard keep

restarted the server, but still: same thing happened,
so I don't think this is caused by the credit card.

This is way above my head now. I don't have any clue
anymore... snif snif.

kind regards.

<XMP>[dump]</XMP>:

###### CGI VALUES #####
{
'mv_nextpage' => 'showsession',
'mv_session_id' => 'e9aXvwpI'
}

###### END CGI VALUES #####
###### SESSION #####
{
'one_time_path_alias' => {},
'path_alias' => {},
'ohost' => '****my ip****',
'last_url' => '/showsession.html',
'latest_subtotal' => '1.24',
'discount' => {},
'last_search' =>
'scan/fi=products/ra=yes/lb=loop1index',
'values' => {
'country' => 'country',
'mv_credit_card_exp_month' =>
'1',
'submit' => 'Finalize!',
'mv_raw_dict_look' => undef,
'mv_session_id' => 'e9aXvwpI',
'mv_searchspec' => [],
'mv_dict_look' => undef,
'lname' => 'lastname',
'fname' => 'firstname',
'mv_action' => 'refresh',
'mv_order_item' => '2623',
'mv_shipmode' => 'default',
'mv_order_profile' =>
'order_profile',
'mv_raw_searchspec' => undef,
'mv_credit_card_exp_year' =>
'02',
'mv_matchlimit' => 50,
'state' => 'state',
'address1' => 'address1',
'address2' => 'address2',
'city' => 'city',
'mv_cyber_mode' =>
'minivend_test',
'zip' => '2222',
'mv_search_match_count' => 4
},
'admin' => undef,
'browser' => 'Mozilla/4.75 [en] (X11; U;
Linux 2.2.16-22 i686)',
'extension' => '.html',
'host' => '**** my ip ****',
'carts' => {
'main' => [.
{
'mv_ip' => 0,
'mv_ib' =>
'products',
'code' => '2623',
'quantity' => '1'
}
]
},
'scratch' => {},
'user' => undef,
'arg' => undef,
'referer' => undef,
'time' => 979511158,
'errors' => {},
'username' => undef,
'id' => 'e9aXvwpI',
'pageCount' => 12
}

###### END SESSION #####

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
Solution - error checking for daytime telephone field is not displayed.

I had what I believe is exactly the same problem. I also initially thought
it was to do with the credit card number but it turned out to be the field
for the daytime telephone number. It seems to do some sort of checking that
the characters are valid i.e. all digits. I had entered text in this field
and I kept on getting an error but it was not indicating where the error
was. I assume this is a small bug in the error display. Try again making
sure that the telephone field has just digits.

Regards,
Andy Higgins

new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Andy Higgins (andy@higgins.net):
> Solution - error checking for daytime telephone field is not displayed.
>
> I had what I believe is exactly the same problem. I also initially thought
> it was to do with the credit card number but it turned out to be the field
> for the daytime telephone number. It seems to do some sort of checking that
> the characters are valid i.e. all digits. I had entered text in this field
> and I kept on getting an error but it was not indicating where the error
> was. I assume this is a small bug in the error display. Try again making
> sure that the telephone field has just digits.

Yes, this is a problem where if you check both blank and phone, the
second error message will blank the first. The workaround is to only
either check for required or phone, not both. I would fix the tutorial
-- but it appears to not have anything for phone_day.

This will be fixed in 4.7.x as the routines have been redone to
some extent. I didn't decide to fix it in 4.6 -- probably more risk
than it is worth.

NOTE: The most common thing that can cause problems is encryption
failures. Check your error log for those things....there will almost
always be an error message. If you get XddeyERG.cry permission denied,
it means you don't have write permission on your catalog directory. I
will move that to ScratchDir in the next version.

new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:10:55PM +1100, Andy Higgins wrote:

> Solution - error checking for daytime telephone field is not displayed.

That was it!

Jeff
new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
At 03:26 AM 1/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Quoting Andy Higgins (andy@higgins.net):
> > Solution - error checking for daytime telephone field is not displayed.
> >
> > I had what I believe is exactly the same problem. I also initially thought
> > it was to do with the credit card number but it turned out to be the field
> > for the daytime telephone number. It seems to do some sort of checking that
> > the characters are valid i.e. all digits. I had entered text in this field
> > and I kept on getting an error but it was not indicating where the error
> > was. I assume this is a small bug in the error display. Try again making
> > sure that the telephone field has just digits.
> >

>Yes, this is a problem where if you check both blank and phone, the
>second error message will blank the first. The workaround is to only
>either check for required or phone, not both. I would fix the tutorial
>-- but it appears to not have anything for phone_day.

[snip]

or do something like (in your checkout profile):

[if value phone_day]
phone=phone Is that a real telephone number?
[else]
phone=required We need your daytime telephone number
[/else]
[/if]

... I am pretty sure the syntax is correct here (it is for MV3 and 4), but
I can't find the section on order profiles in the online docs, and given
all their inaccuracies/omissions, I'm not even sure that they are being
maintained anymore!

- Ed L.

New Media E.M.S. Software Solutions for Business
463 Main St., Suite D edl@newmediaems.com
Placerville, CA 95667 http://www.newmediaems.com
(530) 622-9421 (530) 622-9426 Fax
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free

new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Ed LaFrance wrote:

> ... I am pretty sure the syntax is correct here (it is for MV3 and 4), but
> I can't find the section on order profiles in the online docs, and given
> all their inaccuracies/omissions, I'm not even sure that they are being
> maintained anymore!

Is that what you were looking for ?

http://developer.akopia.com/minivend4/docindex/24.41.OrderProfile.html
#OrderProfile

Mike H. said the minivend archives are gone, but I am confused about what
is gone and what not.

> Unfortunately not any more. www.minivend.com is slowly going offline,
> and we removed the archive just recently.

On the developer.akopia.com site, there seems to be the complete
documentation for minivend 3.xx and minivend 4.xx. The mailing list
archives accessed from

http://developer.akopia.com/archive/interchange-users/

point to mail archives from 1997-2000.

My question is now, which archives are not any more accessible
via the developer.akopia.com site ? Which ones are gone ?

Birgitt
new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
Quoting BF (meinbuch@mein-buch.com):
> My question is now, which archives are not any more accessible
> via the developer.akopia.com site ? Which ones are gone ?

Nothing is gone. All 45,000 minivend-users and interchange-users
messages starting from Jan of 1997 are archived.

I have recently considered making 1999 the starting point for
the searching, and building a new index for the earlier stuff,
but for now the site search should access all 45,000 mail list
documents.

--
Akopia, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH 45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
car payments. -- Earl Wilson
Re:new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
hey wait, how can the zip only be 4 digits? is that ok?

Troy

> [...]
>
> thank you very much
>

> When something like this happens, make a page which
> has just
> this in it:
>
> <XMP>[dump]</XMP>
>
> Then access that page.
>
> It should give the value of your session, and you will
> find
> a top-level key in the session information called
> "errors".
> Look at that and see if the information is there.
> There were no errors in this page you suggested. I
> copied a bit of the page: see below. As you can see
> all of the necessary values are there, so I shouldn't
> go to needfield but to receipt.html and finish the
> order.
>
> For the reply of jeff dafoe:
> I tried to comment out the part of the page with the
> credit card information, and removed this line from
> profiles.order:
>
> &credit_card=standard keep
>
> restarted the server, but still: same thing happened,
> so I don't think this is caused by the credit card.
>
> This is way above my head now. I don't have any clue
> anymore... snif snif.
>
> kind regards.

> <XMP>[dump]</XMP>:
>

> ###### CGI VALUES #####
> {
> 'mv_nextpage' => 'showsession',
> 'mv_session_id' => 'e9aXvwpI'
> }
>
> ###### END CGI VALUES #####
> ###### SESSION #####
> {
> 'one_time_path_alias' => {},
> 'path_alias' => {},
> 'ohost' => '****my ip****',
> 'last_url' => '/showsession.html',
> 'latest_subtotal' => '1.24',
> 'discount' => {},
> 'last_search' =>
> 'scan/fi=products/ra=yes/lb=loop1index',
> 'values' => {
> 'country' => 'country',
> 'mv_credit_card_exp_month' =>
> '1',
> 'submit' => 'Finalize!',
> 'mv_raw_dict_look' => undef,
> 'mv_session_id' => 'e9aXvwpI',
> 'mv_searchspec' => [],
> 'mv_dict_look' => undef,
> 'lname' => 'lastname',
> 'fname' => 'firstname',
> 'mv_action' => 'refresh',
> 'mv_order_item' => '2623',
> 'mv_shipmode' => 'default',
> 'mv_order_profile' =>
> 'order_profile',
> 'mv_raw_searchspec' => undef,
> 'mv_credit_card_exp_year' =>
> '02',
> 'mv_matchlimit' => 50,
> 'state' => 'state',
> 'address1' => 'address1',
> 'address2' => 'address2',
> 'city' => 'city',
> 'mv_cyber_mode' =>
> 'minivend_test',
> 'zip' => '2222',
> 'mv_search_match_count' => 4
> },
> 'admin' => undef,
> 'browser' => 'Mozilla/4.75 [en] (X11; U;

---
Re:new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, +N6REJ wrote:

> hey wait, how can the zip only be 4 digits? is that ok?

If you really want to limit that field to U.S.-only zip codes, you can add
the line 'zip=zip' to profiles.order. However, both for the tutorial and
in general I think it's a bad idea to exclude every other postal code
system in the world, which use alphanumerics (like T0L 0R0 for a town
outside of Toronto, Canada, as an example that happens to be in my head).
Even though Interchange can easily do things like this, sometimes it's
better to let users enter whatever they want instead of getting in their
way when they're trying to give you money.

Jon
Re:new tutorial problem? [ In reply to ]
heheeh.. forgot about internatil zips... to used to US system I guess.

Troy

> > hey wait, how can the zip only be 4 digits? is that ok?
>
> If you really want to limit that field to U.S.-only zip codes, you can add
> the line 'zip=zip' to profiles.order. However, both for the tutorial and
> in general I think it's a bad idea to exclude every other postal code
> system in the world, which use alphanumerics (like T0L 0R0 for a town
> outside of Toronto, Canada, as an example that happens to be in my head).
> Even though Interchange can easily do things like this, sometimes it's
> better to let users enter whatever they want instead of getting in their
> way when they're trying to give you money.
>
> Jon

---